BT buying Plusnet thing...

Old December 4th 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default BT buying Plusnet thing...

This deal between Plusnet and BT, what will it mean for customers of
Plusnet?
Ideally I would like to be able to use the new BT news server as that is the
Giganews server, but I doubt it will happen. They will probably run as
seperate entities for a long while yet.

Coincidentally, I received an automated marketing phonecall from BT the
other day. It was left as a message on the answerphone and started with "As
you are a customer of BT Broadband..."
It may well have been an error as I used to be a BT customer about a year
ago. Any other Plusnet customers get this call?

Old December 4th 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message
This deal between Plusnet and BT, what will it mean for customers of
Plusnet?
Ideally I would like to be able to use the new BT news server as that is
the Giganews server, but I doubt it will happen. They will probably run
as seperate entities for a long while yet.

Coincidentally, I received an automated marketing phonecall from BT the
other day. It was left as a message on the answerphone and started with
"As you are a customer of BT Broadband..."
It may well have been an error as I used to be a BT customer about a year
ago. Any other Plusnet customers get this call?

Who knows what will happen?
BT have bought less than 30% of Plusnet's share capital and therefore do not
have a controlling interest.
However, they're probably the major shareholder.
As I see it, BT probably can't carry out any major changes to Plusnet -
apart from having a large "block vote" at Plusnet' AGM - until/unless they
go for full control?
(I expect someone will correct me on this).
As regards the marketing call, I'm on the Telephone Preference Scheme, so
don't get any.
However, being an ex-BT Internet customer, I probably would have got one if
I wasn't on the list.
I still get their email spam and have done ever since I left them. I don't
think it has anything to do with BT buying 30% of the shares.

George

Old December 4th 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"George Weston" wrote in message

[...]

I am on the telephone preference service aswell but this BT message crept
through.
I didn't know BT had only bought a snippet of Plusnet. I guess no change at
all then.

Old December 5th 06, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Beck wrote:
This deal between Plusnet and BT, what will it mean for customers of
Plusnet?
Ideally I would like to be able to use the new BT news server as that is the
Giganews server, but I doubt it will happen. They will probably run as
seperate entities for a long while yet.

Coincidentally, I received an automated marketing phonecall from BT the
other day. It was left as a message on the answerphone and started with "As
you are a customer of BT Broadband..."
It may well have been an error as I used to be a BT customer about a year
ago. Any other Plusnet customers get this call?

Beck,

The phone call was nothing to do with us and as I understand it we will
be operating as a separate entity for the forseeable future.

Kind Rgds

Old December 5th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

The phone call was nothing to do with us and as I understand it we will be
operating as a separate entity for the forseeable future.

Thanks Bob. They must have had a database error and used my old details.

Old December 6th 06, 02:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Bob Pullen of Plus Net:
we will be operating as a separate entity for the forseeable future.

Ahh, but just how far into the future can you see ?
The £3.9m profit Plus Net makes is mere drop in to the BT coffers, so there
must be some other reason why they want Plus Net. All I can see is that they
will want to squeeze bit more money from me (and the other 200k punters) by
selling us Total Broadband, BT Vision etc., shortly followed by cost cutting
i.e. amalgamating Plus Net with BT broadband...it's only a matter of time.
Unless of course you know otherwise ?
Regards,
Martin
Happy Plus Net customer,
reluctant BT rental conscript !

Old December 7th 06, 02:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Jethro:
You need a brain transplant.

WTF ?
Mind you yours is obviously redundant....