Are all ADSL modem/routers made equal?

Old December 4th 06, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bypass

Default Are all ADSL modem/routers made equal?

I use a Solwise SAR600-E modem router with a MAAF ADSL 8 Mb Max account.
Currently, I get around 5Mb download speed.

What's the likelihood of increasing the download speed by upgrading the
hardware? Do some modem/routers out-perform others?

Ideally I'd like an integrated modem/router/switch to slim down on the
number of plugs and sockets I need (have 12 at the moment).

Old December 4th 06, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Oliver

Bypass wrote:
I use a Solwise SAR600-E modem router with a MAAF ADSL 8 Mb Max account.
Currently, I get around 5Mb download speed.

What's the likelihood of increasing the download speed by upgrading the
hardware? Do some modem/routers out-perform others?

It is entirely possible to improve speeds by changing filters,
routers/modems and the firmware on routers/modem. Answer to second
question is Yes.
Old December 4th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bypass

Richard Oliver wrote:
Bypass wrote:

What's the likelihood of increasing the download speed by upgrading
the hardware? Do some modem/routers out-perform others?

Answer to second question is Yes.

Any recommendations, then?
Old December 4th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Oliver

Bypass wrote:
Richard Oliver wrote:
Bypass wrote:

What's the likelihood of increasing the download speed by upgrading
the hardware? Do some modem/routers out-perform others?

Answer to second question is Yes.

Any recommendations, then?

I get good results with Draytek and Netgear models. If you know someone
who will hook their router up to your line for a comparison that is
worthwhile.

But first consider fitting a single master socket filter - I have found
that this alone improves reliability and performance.
Old December 5th 06, 02:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

ADSL2/2+ routers are more sensitive and can connect at higher speeds,
I have proven this with Zyxel 2602HW router (which has the latest award
wining TI chipset),
which could maintain 3Mb/s on my 5km long line, while my existing Draytek
2600 can only manage 2Mb/s.
The later Draytek 2800 apparently has the same TI chipset, but I haven't got
my mitts on one yet.
Regards,
Martin

Old December 5th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul C

"Bypass" wrote in message
Richard Oliver wrote:
Bypass wrote:

What's the likelihood of increasing the download speed by upgrading the
hardware? Do some modem/routers out-perform others?

Answer to second question is Yes.

Any recommendations, then?

There are some routers where you can adjust the noise margin to increase
speed at expense of stability. You will have to hack around in the CLI or
use a Modem Tool (eg. http://dmt.mhilfe.de/ )
Paul