SKYs wonderful boxes...not

Old December 4th 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Default SKYs wonderful boxes...not

Sky, in their infinite wisdom have screwed around with the firmware on
the supplied DG834GT so much that you cannot access the interface to
tell it to auto connect after you regain synch, after a reboot or drop
of synch. Seeing as mine is displaying all the old symptoms of the
Buffer over run problem so prevalent in the bargain bucket routers
could anybody please tell me a way to get into the dam thing so I can
turn this resource on & before anybody says telnet.....that's right
it's blocked.

Mine fell over around 01:00 & I didn't get a chance to look at it
until 16:00 today....

Here's hoping

--
Life is a lemon
And I want my money back!

Old December 4th 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

kráftéé wrote:
Sky, in their infinite wisdom have screwed around with the firmware on
the supplied DG834GT so much that you cannot access the interface to
tell it to auto connect after you regain synch, after a reboot or drop
of synch. Seeing as mine is displaying all the old symptoms of the
Buffer over run problem so prevalent in the bargain bucket routers
could anybody please tell me a way to get into the dam thing so I can
turn this resource on & before anybody says telnet.....that's right
it's blocked.

Maybe sky stopped it but there is a way here.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=415945

Andy.
Old December 4th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Plumb

Default SKYs wonderful DG834 boxes...not

Sky, in their infinite wisdom have screwed around with the firmware on
the supplied DG834GT so much that you cannot access the interface to

The information is definitely out there in the wild, a friend is using a
generic DG834 on Sky BB having done something to discover the username and
password they've configured (I understand this is also greyed out).

It might even be as simple as saving the configuration file and examining
it with notepad. I'm sure a little googling will turn up wonders.

You've hit the nail on the head with the reason he did it though, the
router would drop out and not return until he rebooted it!

Old December 4th 06, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Dave Plumb wrote:
Sky, in their infinite wisdom have screwed around with the firmware
on the supplied DG834GT so much that you cannot access the
interface

The information is definitely out there in the wild, a friend is
using a generic DG834 on Sky BB having done something to discover
the
username and password they've configured (I understand this is also
greyed out).

It might even be as simple as saving the configuration file and
examining it with notepad. I'm sure a little googling will turn up
wonders.

You've hit the nail on the head with the reason he did it though,
the
router would drop out and not return until he rebooted it!

They've actually blocked all view of the configuration page via HTML &
now I've found that they've also used a different login if you try &
telnet...

Thanks to both the posters, think I'll be phoning them yet again

Old December 4th 06, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

kráftéé wrote:
Sky, in their infinite wisdom have screwed around with the firmware on
the supplied DG834GT so much that you cannot access the interface to
tell it to auto connect after you regain synch, after a reboot or drop
of synch.

My supplied box, if loses sync will reconnect, same if it reboots...

Seeing as mine is displaying all the old symptoms of the
Buffer over run problem so prevalent in the bargain bucket routers

Since this isnt a bargain bucket router..... The netgear is certainly
midrange, and for domestic purposes it is at the top end of that. To get
better stability requires a £150 price point.

Gaz

Old December 4th 06, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

&
now I've found that they've also used a different login if you try &
telnet...

Thanks to both the posters, think I'll be phoning them yet again

I've reloaded the firmware (from the SKY cd) & believe it or not it
bloody connected without me telling it.

My head hurts, think I'll go & stick it in a bucket of cold water

Old December 4th 06, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Gaz wrote:
kráftéé wrote:
Sky, in their infinite wisdom have screwed around with the firmware
on the supplied DG834GT so much that you cannot access the
interface
to tell it to auto connect after you regain synch, after a reboot
or
drop of synch.

My supplied box, if loses sync will reconnect, same if it reboots...

Seeing as mine is displaying all the old symptoms of the
Buffer over run problem so prevalent in the bargain bucket routers

Since this isnt a bargain bucket router..... The netgear is
certainly
midrange, and for domestic purposes it is at the top end of that. To
get better stability requires a £150 price point.

Gaz

Well it doesn't compare to the Draytek or the Cisco which I'm used to
using & compared to the latest Netgear kit they are certainly budget
priced.

Ever since the GT version was released it has been plagued with
problems, maybe it's been sorted by the new(ish) firmware, but it
certainly still suffers the buffer over run problem of it's earlier
sibblings if put to heavy use which the ones which I used to use
didn't. Don't get me wrong I'm (almost) happy to put up with a
semi-regular reboot as long as the blasted thing reconnects
afterwards, which, upto me 'refreshing' the firmware deffinitely
wasn't happening.

Old December 5th 06, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mel

"Dave Plumb" wrote in message .. .

Sky, in their infinite wisdom have screwed around with the firmware on
the supplied DG834GT so much that you cannot access the interface to

The information is definitely out there in the wild, a friend is using a
generic DG834 on Sky BB having done something to discover the username and
password they've configured (I understand this is also greyed out).

It might even be as simple as saving the configuration file and examining
it with notepad. I'm sure a little googling will turn up wonders.

You've hit the nail on the head with the reason he did it though, the
router would drop out and not return until he rebooted it!

Someone discovered a shell command injection vulnerability in the web interface.
and used grep to recover the password and username.

I don't have a link to the original item handy, however I've adapted it for the DG834G
to dump the password to the dg834g's log file (/var/log/messages)
I am unable to check whether this version would work on a dg834gt

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=ping_test&c4_IPAddr=1%26%2Fbin%2Fbu sybox%20grep%20ppoa_%20%2Ftmp%2Fnvram%20%20%2Fvar %2Flog%2Fmessages&next_file=log.htm

Old December 5th 06, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

kráftéé wrote:
Sky, in their infinite wisdom have screwed around with the firmware on
the supplied DG834GT so much that you cannot access the interface to
tell it to auto connect after you regain synch, after a reboot or drop
of synch. Seeing as mine is displaying all the old symptoms of the
Buffer over run problem so prevalent in the bargain bucket routers
could anybody please tell me a way to get into the dam thing so I can
turn this resource on & before anybody says telnet.....that's right
it's blocked.

Mine fell over around 01:00 & I didn't get a chance to look at it
until 16:00 today....

There are tips and tricks to overcome some problems such as this, and hidden
somewhere on the same site a method to extract your Sky username and
password, so you can use another router etc.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1943

--
Mark
Old December 5th 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
kráftéé wrote:
Sky, in their infinite wisdom have screwed around with the firmware
on the supplied DG834GT so much that you cannot access the
interface to tell it to auto connect after you regain synch, after
a reboot or drop of synch. Seeing as mine is displaying all the
old symptoms of the Buffer over run problem so prevalent in the
bargain bucket routers could anybody please tell me a way to get
into the dam thing so I can turn this resource on & before anybody
says telnet.....that's right it's blocked.

Mine fell over around 01:00 & I didn't get a chance to look at it
until 16:00 today....

There are tips and tricks to overcome some problems such as this,
and hidden somewhere on the same site a method to extract your Sky
username and password, so you can use another router etc.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1943

Well I've beaten the buffer over run reboot problem by reflashing the
firmware from the upgrade on the SKY CD & it reconnects after reboot
as well. Problems were probably caused by leaving it to long attached
& synched up with a BT DSLAM, I even got a couple of hours free when
BT Wholesale had a regional problem & apparently turned on all their
ports & let the normal housekeeping close down the un authorized ones
when it ran.

Now all I've got to do is beat the buffer over run freeze which
appears to have taken it's place. Yes I know an non elegant way would
be to put the router on a 24 hour timer & switch it off for 1 minute
everyday, there must be a better way (didn't find one for the DLink &
3Com when I was running those though).

Thanks for the forum but they appear to sticking to a mantra which
isn't true & don't appear to be open to any lateral thinking or
counter clues so I'll stick on here with the problem.

The real problem is, as with most firms, they've bought cheap & expect
it to give top class performance. It happened with their carriers &
likewise with the routers. I never did beat the buffer over run
problem with the netgear DG834GT so maybe it is time to go look for
the timeswitch...