Zen reverse lookup

Old December 5th 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

Default Zen reverse lookup

I see that Zen now lets you change the reverse DNS lookup for your
ADSL IP addresses. Unfortunately the "help and support" link points
to completely the wrong page.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
Old December 5th 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Richard Tobin wrote:
I see that Zen now lets you change the reverse DNS lookup for your
ADSL IP addresses. Unfortunately the "help and support" link points
to completely the wrong page.

Haven't they always allowed you to do this? (Although I have a /29, so
maybe it was only these customers initially) I just emailled them my
requests and they got actioned later the same day, and have had reverse DNS
set on my home ADSL IP addresses for the past year...

Gordon
Old December 5th 06, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave N

In message , Richard Tobin
writes
I see that Zen now lets you change the reverse DNS lookup for your
ADSL IP addresses. Unfortunately the "help and support" link points
to completely the wrong page.

In case you hadn't found it anyway, it's he-

http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledgebase/article.aspx?id=10166

As you state, it appears that customers can now set their own PTR
entries via the "Customer Portal" but of course only if an "A" record
already exists for the domain, which will be checked during the set-up
process.

--
Dave N
Old December 5th 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave N

In message , Dave N
writes
In message , Richard Tobin
writes
I see that Zen now lets you change the reverse DNS lookup for your
ADSL IP addresses. Unfortunately the "help and support" link points
to completely the wrong page.

In case you hadn't found it anyway, it's he-

http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledgebase/article.aspx?id=10166

As you state, it appears that customers can now set their own PTR
entries via the "Customer Portal" but of course only if an "A" record
already exists for the domain, which will be checked during the set-up
process.

Following-up to myself, it doesn't appear to work. I have one IP
address and a domain name which already points to my Zen IP address for
the "A" record. When I tried just now to change the rDNS, my request
was rejected with the reason given that the domain name doesn't point to
my IP address!

Perhaps they haven't linked the update tool to a recent DNS lookup, and
are using an old cache. My domain name DNS zone file has passed its
TTL, so I am stumped for an explanation.

--
Dave N
Old December 5th 06, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Nelson

In article ,
Dave N writes:
In message , Richard Tobin
writes
I see that Zen now lets you change the reverse DNS lookup for your
ADSL IP addresses. Unfortunately the "help and support" link points
to completely the wrong page.

In case you hadn't found it anyway, it's he-

http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledgebase/article.aspx?id=10166

As you state, it appears that customers can now set their own PTR
entries via the "Customer Portal" but of course only if an "A" record
already exists for the domain, which will be checked during the set-up
process.

Errr... Where, in the `Customer Portal'?
--
SAm.
Old December 5th 06, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Gordon Henderson wrote:

I see that Zen now lets you change the reverse DNS lookup for your
ADSL IP addresses. Unfortunately the "help and support" link points
to completely the wrong page.

Haven't they always allowed you to do this? (Although I have a /29, so
maybe it was only these customers initially) I just emailled them my
requests and they got actioned later the same day, and have had reverse DNS
set on my home ADSL IP addresses for the past year...

You're no doubt right, I never tried asking them. But now they
provide a web page to do it.

I just tried to test it, but I have to wait for their DNS server to
pick up the new A record before they will change the PTR record.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
Old December 5th 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Nelson

In article ,
Dave N writes:
In message , Richard Tobin
writes
I see that Zen now lets you change the reverse DNS lookup for your
ADSL IP addresses. Unfortunately the "help and support" link points
to completely the wrong page.

In case you hadn't found it anyway, it's he-

http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledgebase/article.aspx?id=10166

As you state, it appears that customers can now set their own PTR
entries via the "Customer Portal" but of course only if an "A" record
already exists for the domain, which will be checked during the set-up
process.

Ah. Found it now. The portal appears to be a bit fussy as to browser.
--
SAm.
Old December 5th 06, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Nelson

In article ,
Dave N writes:
In message , Dave N
writes
In message , Richard Tobin
writes
I see that Zen now lets you change the reverse DNS lookup for your
ADSL IP addresses. Unfortunately the "help and support" link points
to completely the wrong page.

In case you hadn't found it anyway, it's he-

http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledgebase/article.aspx?id=10166

Following-up to myself, it doesn't appear to work. I have one IP
address and a domain name which already points to my Zen IP address for
the "A" record. When I tried just now to change the rDNS, my request
was rejected with the reason given that the domain name doesn't point to
my IP address!

Entering a replacement value for the PTR record and clicking `Change' just
now did a `Remove' instead. Only `Default' seems to work.
--
SAm.
Old December 5th 06, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave N

In message , Sam Nelson
writes
In article ,
Dave N writes:
In message , Dave N
writes
In message , Richard Tobin
writes
I see that Zen now lets you change the reverse DNS lookup for your
ADSL IP addresses. Unfortunately the "help and support" link points
to completely the wrong page.

In case you hadn't found it anyway, it's he-

http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledgebase/article.aspx?id=10166

Following-up to myself, it doesn't appear to work. I have one IP
address and a domain name which already points to my Zen IP address for
the "A" record. When I tried just now to change the rDNS, my request
was rejected with the reason given that the domain name doesn't point to
my IP address!

Entering a replacement value for the PTR record and clicking `Change' just
now did a `Remove' instead. Only `Default' seems to work.

I've just been talking with Zen Technical Support, via their "Live Chat"
facility, and the issue has been escalated to 2nd line support.

I haven't seen an announcement myself yet so perhaps it's not intended
for public use just yet?

--
Dave N
Old December 5th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Dave N wrote:

Following-up to myself, it doesn't appear to work. I have one IP
address and a domain name which already points to my Zen IP address for
the "A" record. When I tried just now to change the rDNS, my request
was rejected with the reason given that the domain name doesn't point to
my IP address!

Same problem here. At first I thought I would just have to wait for
the TTL to expire, but it has and it still doesn't work. Or maybe TTL
doesn't apply to negative lookup results - after all there isn't a
record with a TTL to expire.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.