Etec Al-2108P ADSL2+ Modem/Router

Old December 5th 06, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick Wolf

Default Etec Al-2108P ADSL2+ Modem/Router

Any opinions on this Modem gratefully received:

http://tinyurl.com/y4pbb4

[http://www.spotonuk.com/info~Itemcd~...L%2D2108P.htm]

Thanks

Old December 5th 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

lid declared for all the world to hear...
Any opinions on this Modem gratefully received:

http://tinyurl.com/y4pbb4

It's a cheap standard spec domestic router. It seems to lack VPN
passthrough so I would not buy it. I'd also be suspicious of something
that cheap.
--
Regards
Jon
Old December 5th 06, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 5 Dec 2006, Jon wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/y4pbb4

It seems to lack VPN passthrough so I would not buy it.

Unknown if that's an "essential" for the OP.
Would make no odds to me, personally.

I'd also be suspicious of something that cheap.

The Zyxel Prestige 660R-61C (1-port ADSL 2/2+ modem/router) is a similar
price and was the 'free modem' dished out by NDO in their 60 pounds/year
account deal (in August, also from Names.co.uk at the time, where 'free'
needed one to pay the delivery cost for the unit, but only 4.99 :-)

I think that the days of having to pay 70+ for a wired modem/router are
in the dim and distant past. I've used several which cost under 30 (it
is handy to keep spares to loan out) and have had no problems with them
so far (2+ years for several of them, nearly all get used from time to
time, or are out on loan at present).
Old December 5th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick Wolf

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 5 Dec 2006, Jon wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/y4pbb4

It seems to lack VPN passthrough so I would not buy it.

Unknown if that's an "essential" for the OP.
Would make no odds to me, personally.

Nope, not important to me.

My only requirements are that it will support ADSL2 and has two LAN ports,
both Ethernet no USB.

The Zyxel Prestige 660R-61C (1-port ADSL 2/2+ modem/router) is a similar
price and was the 'free modem' dished out by NDO in their 60 pounds/year
account deal (in August, also from Names.co.uk at the time, where 'free'
needed one to pay the delivery cost for the unit, but only 4.99 :-)

And that is even cheaper:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=410970

Though only seems to support one LAN connection, I have two PC's I want ot
connect ...

I think that the days of having to pay 70+ for a wired modem/router are
in the dim and distant past. I've used several which cost under 30 (it
is handy to keep spares to loan out) and have had no problems with them
so far (2+ years for several of them, nearly all get used from time to
time, or are out on loan at present).

I am open to recommendations, even for slightly more cash, but under £30
would be good.

Old December 6th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 5 Dec 2006, "Mick Wolf" wrote:

On 5 Dec 2006, Jon wrote:

It seems to lack VPN passthrough so I would not buy it.

Nope, not important to me.

My only requirements are that it will support ADSL2 and has two LAN ports,
both Ethernet no USB.

(re Zyxel Prestige 660R-61C)

And that is even cheaper:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=410970

Looks like it has come down. I have one here, and found that compared with
a 4-year old PTI unit, it was far better on my DSL Max connection (the old
unit was routinely dropping the connection 2 to 4 times a day, and every
time it did so, would need several attempts before staying connected).

That Zyxel didn't get disconnected, and traffic through it was also much
more likely to reach 5-6 Mbps compared with the PTI (and any other old
routers on the shelf that I tried out)

only seems to support one LAN connection, I have two PC's ...

Yes, it does only support one connection, but I've plugged mine into a hub
at 10 Mbps (which means my Win XP Task Manager shows traffic getting up to
50% to 70%, instead of only reaching 5% to 7% as it would if running at
100 Mbps). The hub has 8 ports and links to kit in other parts of the
house, so I can use my iMac etc, via a 24 port unit in the garage/workshop
(OK, overkill, even though there are around a dozen PCs in there right now,
but I am sure kit is in working order in case some client needs a loan :-)

I am open to recommendations, ... under £30 would be good.

Thanks for highlighting that Etec model as it looks a low price for a 4
port model. I think the AR41 I bought a while back was around 25 (+VAT
perhaps)... I'd normally say "it's cheap enough to 'risk it'" but there
may be some others who've tried it and like/hate the one you saw, so I'd
suggest asking over at www.thinkingbroadband.com (previously ADSL Guide)
or www.uk-bug.net or forums on www.net4now.com / www.ispreview.co.uk or
a magazine site, like www.webuser.co.uk ...
Old December 7th 06, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick Wolf

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message

I'd normally say "it's cheap enough to 'risk it'"

I think you are right, I am going to buy it tomorrow.

Unfortunately I have just spent over £200 on PC upgrades, my ADSL modem
failing was the last thing I expected!

Anyway, I'll report back and let you know if it works or not!