Connection cost question

Old December 6th 06, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
807

Default Connection cost question

I am an NTL Customer and use 1899 and 18866, the Connection charge as you
know is 4p and 5p respectively. Anyone know of any cheaper voip company with
lower connection via NTL line ?.

Old December 6th 06, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

807 wrote:
I am an NTL Customer and use 1899 and 18866, the Connection charge as you
know is 4p and 5p respectively. Anyone know of any cheaper voip company with
lower connection via NTL line ?.

Doh!

What about FREE is that cheaper?
You have or can get an NTL cable connection.
A little outlay on some fairly cheap kit will have you getting calls as
cheap as chips.
If you run out of FREE days you're still looking at just over 0.7p/min
or so to UK, US and many more.
http://www.voipcheap.com/en/freetrial.html
(Multiply displayed price by 0.6 to get a good idea of price)

http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar HeartRate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Old December 6th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
807

I use the PC to make calls for free as you say already, the problem I have
is a wife stuck in the dark ages who will not call via my pc even though I
have a USB handset , it takes me all my time to get her to press the memory
key to access 1899 on the NTL phone, hence my question old boy ?

Old December 6th 06, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ross Beer

807 wrote:
I use the PC to make calls for free as you say already, the problem I have
is a wife stuck in the dark ages who will not call via my pc even though I
have a USB handset , it takes me all my time to get her to press the memory
key to access 1899 on the NTL phone, hence my question old boy ?

You could consider using an ATA on the phone, so that you would dial in
the normal way, but the calls go out over VoIP.

Regards,

Ross
-----------------------
Ross Beer
VoiceHost Support
www.voicehost.co.uk
Old December 6th 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

Ross Beer wrote:
807 wrote:
I use the PC to make calls for free as you say already, the problem I
have is a wife stuck in the dark ages who will not call via my pc even
though I have a USB handset , it takes me all my time to get her to
press the memory key to access 1899 on the NTL phone, hence my
question old boy ?

You could consider using an ATA on the phone, so that you would dial in
the normal way, but the calls go out over VoIP.

Exactly.
Once it's working she'd be none the wiser and the computer could be left
off while using ones original DECT phone.

Works for me and I have shyed away from VOIP technology for as long as I
can remember (fear of the dark arts and all that stuff)

:)

Old December 7th 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ross Beer

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;) wrote:
Ross Beer wrote:
807 wrote:
I use the PC to make calls for free as you say already, the problem I
have is a wife stuck in the dark ages who will not call via my pc
even though I have a USB handset , it takes me all my time to get her
to press the memory key to access 1899 on the NTL phone, hence my
question old boy ?

You could consider using an ATA on the phone, so that you would dial
in the normal way, but the calls go out over VoIP.

Exactly.
Once it's working she'd be none the wiser and the computer could be left
off while using ones original DECT phone.

Works for me and I have shyed away from VOIP technology for as long as I
can remember (fear of the dark arts and all that stuff)

:)

If you wanted to make it dial like a normal phone you could add a rule
for your local area code too. You can get ATA's with PSTN interfaces as
well, so if your broadband were to go down you could still make calls
over the PSTN network.

Ross

-----------------------
Ross Beer
VoiceHost Support
www.voicehost.co.uk
Old December 7th 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

Ross Beer wrote:

If you wanted to make it dial like a normal phone you could add a rule
for your local area code too. You can get ATA's with PSTN interfaces as
well, so if your broadband were to go down you could still make calls
over the PSTN network.

That's the bit I need to sort out.
Using the 2 VOIP ports on the Draytek router, but need some form of Line
combiner which would allow PSTN line in for in-bound calls and divert to
VOIP router port for outgoing so only one handset.

Seems a waste to not use the Vigour ports and dual-line DECT phones seem
few and far between.

Old December 7th 06, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
neg

http://www.voipcheap.com/en/freetrial.html

Are you sure they will not change the fee?

Old December 8th 06, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ross Beer

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;) wrote:
Ross Beer wrote:

If you wanted to make it dial like a normal phone you could add a rule
for your local area code too. You can get ATA's with PSTN interfaces
as well, so if your broadband were to go down you could still make
calls over the PSTN network.

That's the bit I need to sort out.
Using the 2 VOIP ports on the Draytek router, but need some form of Line
combiner which would allow PSTN line in for in-bound calls and divert to
VOIP router port for outgoing so only one handset.

Seems a waste to not use the Vigour ports and dual-line DECT phones seem
few and far between.

When you say dual-line do you mean you would like a voip line and pstn line?

If so there is one phone see:
http://www.voicehost.co.uk/Store/Sto...jsp?category=1

The C460 IP & PSTN, DECT phone. So you can plug in the standard
telephone line and connect it to your router for VoIP calls.

I haven't see a line combiner on the market, someone else may know of one?

I think the only way is to have a PSTN port on a VoIP telephone or ATA.

Ross

-----------------------
Ross Beer
VoiceHost Support
www.voicehost.co.uk
Old December 8th 06, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

Ross Beer wrote:

When you say dual-line do you mean you would like a voip line and pstn
line?

Yes, something I'd have thought would be very easy and in-expensive to
produce as it could be powered from the pstn line voltage then have a
manual line switching for outgoing calls (to be routed over VOIP ATA
whatever) while allowing calls on either inbound line to be picked up
from a common source.

If so there is one phone see:
http://www.voicehost.co.uk/Store/Sto...jsp?category=1

Not really what I'm after.

The C460 IP & PSTN, DECT phone. So you can plug in the standard
telephone line and connect it to your router for VoIP calls.

I was thinking more along the lines of DECTsys 2200
but without the requirement for interline operation'

I haven't see a line combiner on the market, someone else may know of one?

I've seen one e-bay but can't find it any more, problem was it auto
switched to make outgoing calls on the line which was last active.
Unfortunately that would mostly be the PSTN inbound line.

I think the only way is to have a PSTN port on a VoIP telephone or ATA.

I have all the sip accounts functions and features etc etc on the
Draytek 2910 which provides everything to just plug in a bog standard
DECT phone.

Which I have quite a few of.
:)

2 seperate phones in the house would be as confusing as the 5 x remote
controls we have.
The one you want is always the one you can't find.