query

Old December 6th 06, 12:26 PM
Martinpara Martinpara is offline
Junior Member

Default query

Pardon my ignorance, bit new to this, if I buy a desk top pc, does it need a modem to connect to the internet if i plan on using my wireless router and a usb adapter, i already use my wireless laptop, and plan on linking this desk top pc to it.

cheers.
Old December 6th 06, 04:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Martinpara
says...

Pardon my ignorance, bit new to this, if I buy a desk top pc, does it
need a modem to connect to the internet if i plan on using my wireless
router and a usb adapter, i already use my wireless laptop, and plan on
linking this desk top pc to it.

If your wireless router has a modem built into it, then no. If it
hasn't it may be worth investing in one that does.

--
Conor

The surprise isn't how often we make bad choices; the surprise is how
seldom they defeat us.
Old December 6th 06, 11:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Martinpara
writes

Pardon my ignorance, bit new to this, if I buy a desk top pc, does it
need a modem to connect to the internet if i plan on using my wireless
router and a usb adapter, i already use my wireless laptop, and plan on
linking this desk top pc to it.

cheers.

If I read your question correctly, you can use a USB wireless adapter
and you won't need a modem for the desktop, you should then be able to
connect to the wireless router, the laptop and the Internet from the
desktop.

--
Martinpara

--
Clint Sharp
Old December 6th 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

In article , Martinpara.2iegt8
@broadbandbanter.co.uk says...

Pardon my ignorance, bit new to this, if I buy a desk top pc, does it
need a modem to connect to the internet if i plan on using my wireless
router and a usb adapter, i already use my wireless laptop, and plan on
linking this desk top pc to it.

You do not need a separate modem if your existing router can accommodate
your PC.

You say you intend using a USB adapter - where?

Is this to be plugged into the PC to enable wireless connectivity to the
router as per your laptop?

If this is the case, then you should need no extra equipment on the
assumption the wireless signal will be sufficient.

Your router is the modem, at least it has an ADSL modem built in, again
on an assumption you are using it to connect your laptop to the
Internet.

The PC will/should behave in the exact same way your laptop does when
you connect wirelessly.

Perhaps, if you post the make and model numbers of the router/adapter,
someone can help you more thoroughly, if needed?