Cat5 works wonders.

Old December 7th 06, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Cat5 works wonders.

When I decided to get Broad band I put in a dedicated extension of good
quality telephone cable. It did the job and I was getting a solid
connection with a decent download rate. Then I researched a bit more and
found out about Cat5 cable, but my connection was OK so I left things as
they were. Then two weeks ago I was upgraded to ADSLMax. Disappointing
download rates. When I checked the SNR it was fluctuating between 4 and
7, lots of errors. I decided to upgrade my cable to Cat5 just to see if
it might make a difference. I was amazed. The SNR jumped to around 12 or
14. Fewer errors, faster downloads. So it really is true about Cat5, it
does the business. : )

--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old December 7th 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Paul" wrote in message
When I decided to get Broad band I put in a dedicated extension of good
quality telephone cable. It did the job and I was getting a solid
connection with a decent download rate. Then I researched a bit more and
found out about Cat5 cable, but my connection was OK so I left things as
they were. Then two weeks ago I was upgraded to ADSLMax. Disappointing
download rates. When I checked the SNR it was fluctuating between 4 and 7,
lots of errors. I decided to upgrade my cable to Cat5 just to see if it
might make a difference. I was amazed. The SNR jumped to around 12 or 14.
Fewer errors, faster downloads. So it really is true about Cat5, it does
the business. : )

--
Paul reply-to is valid

Read all about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable
I see there's now Cat 6 and Cat 7 available!

George

Old December 7th 06, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

George Weston wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
When I decided to get Broad band I put in a dedicated extension of good
quality telephone cable. It did the job and I was getting a solid
connection with a decent download rate. Then I researched a bit more and
found out about Cat5 cable, but my connection was OK so I left things as
they were. Then two weeks ago I was upgraded to ADSLMax. Disappointing
download rates. When I checked the SNR it was fluctuating between 4 and 7,
lots of errors. I decided to upgrade my cable to Cat5 just to see if it
might make a difference. I was amazed. The SNR jumped to around 12 or 14.
Fewer errors, faster downloads. So it really is true about Cat5, it does
the business. : )

--
Paul reply-to is valid

Read all about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable
I see there's now Cat 6 and Cat 7 available!

I suspect the OP's improvement was simply down to using twisted pair
cable of some sort (in his case Cat5) as opposed to something more
'doubtful'. The fact that it's Cat5 is probably neither here nor
there as there is almost certainly a few km of non-Cat5 cable from the
exchange to his master socket.

--
Chris Green
Old December 7th 06, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote in message
I suspect the OP's improvement was simply down to using twisted pair
cable of some sort (in his case Cat5) as opposed to something more
'doubtful'. The fact that it's Cat5 is probably neither here nor
there as there is almost certainly a few km of non-Cat5 cable from the
exchange to his master socket.

--
Chris Green

True but the exchange-to-master socket link is in all probability solid
copper strands throughout, rather than braided "flex". (Unless, of course,
he's one of the unfortunates who are served at some or all stages in the
link by aluminium.)

George

Old December 7th 06, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

George Weston wrote:

wrote in message
I suspect the OP's improvement was simply down to using twisted pair
cable of some sort (in his case Cat5) as opposed to something more
'doubtful'. The fact that it's Cat5 is probably neither here nor
there as there is almost certainly a few km of non-Cat5 cable from the
exchange to his master socket.

--
Chris Green

True but the exchange-to-master socket link is in all probability solid
copper strands throughout, rather than braided "flex". (Unless, of course,
he's one of the unfortunates who are served at some or all stages in the
link by aluminium.)

..... and? I don't really follow what you're telling us by saying "the
exchange-to-master socket link is in all probability solid copper
strands".

It doesn't matter a lot whether twisted pair is solid or multi-strand
flex, it's the twisting that makes it work better than untwisted
cable.

--
Chris Green
Old December 7th 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

George Weston wrote:
wrote in message
I suspect the OP's improvement was simply down to using twisted
pair
cable of some sort (in his case Cat5) as opposed to something more
'doubtful'. The fact that it's Cat5 is probably neither here nor
there as there is almost certainly a few km of non-Cat5 cable from
the exchange to his master socket.

--
Chris Green

True but the exchange-to-master socket link is in all probability
solid copper strands throughout, rather than braided "flex".
(Unless,
of course, he's one of the unfortunates who are served at some or
all
stages in the link by aluminium.)

George

(Cough)

I quote.....

There is no difference between Copper & Aluminium

From a training course recently attended, dealing with REIN.

My answer was rollocks (or words to that effect)

Old December 7th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lex99

"George Weston" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

I changed from standard telephone cable to CAT5 and it made a big
improvement: better S/N and fewer dropouts. I'm about 4km from the exchange
so changing the last 10 metres does seem to make a difference.

Old December 7th 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Lex99
writes

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Is it the quality of the CAT5 cable, or is it simply the effect of doing
away with an untwisted third ring wire on the leg between the master
socket and the extension?

I have had a similar improvement. My link went from about 3M to 6M
simply by disconnecting the ring wire at the master socket. This is a
single wire capacitativly coupled to one side of the twisted pair.
Presumably any high frequency noise that it collects will affect the
ADSL signal.

The whole of the rest of the trip to the exchange is twisted pair.

--
Peter R Cook
Old December 7th 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Peter R Cook wrote:
In message , Lex99
writes

"George Weston" wrote in
message ...

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Shhhh You'll be giving all our secrets away if you go on like that
:-)

Old December 8th 06, 06:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Peter R Cook wrote:

writes

I changed from standard telephone cable to CAT5 and it made a big
improvement: better S/N and fewer dropouts. I'm about 4km from the exchange
so changing the last 10 metres does seem to make a difference.

Is it the quality of the CAT5 cable, or is it simply the effect of doing
away with an untwisted third ring wire on the leg between the master
socket and the extension?

Disconnecting the ring wire to the extension did help for me.

I had no improvement with Cat 5 ( I did try it ) but then the wire was twisted
pair anyway.

Graham