Reliable broadband installation

Old December 7th 06, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Knappe

Default Reliable broadband installation

Hello!

Hopefully everything will go smoothly tomorrow and I will have a BT line
in my new flat. It's no time to think about a suitable broadband offer.
What requierement do I have?

- reliable installation: When I will order next week everything should be
ready in the first week of january. I'm tired of making endless telephone
calls to make things happen

- a technical support which is worth its name

- unlimited transfer volume (starting at 20GB per month we can start
discussing this point). Just before someone asks, no this has nothing to
do with file sharing.

- no 12 month contract

- included VOIP deals would ne nice

German based example for this would be:
http://www.alice-dsl.de

What I don't need:
- email adresses
- web space

From the technical point of view the 19.99 offer from Orange was my first
idea. NO activation fee and the
included livebox would be worth thinking about the 12 month pill. But from
reading some of the discussion threads here I'm afraid this can end in
another nightmare for me.

So I was looking for other options:

Zen Internet
Zen 8000 Active
20GB for 24.99
47 activation fee
50 for the wireless router
1 month contract

Ace Internet
ADSLMAX200 Home: 30GB for 19.95 + VAT
unused transfer volume will be rolled over
3 month contract
activation fee?

Newnet
annual payment:-(

Eclipse
12 month contract with huge cancellation fee

DCOMM
Dcomms Home 2 MB
3 month contract
24.99 per month
What the meaning of contention 50:1?

Connection Only 500
only 512kB downstream:-(

Any other suggestions?

--

Ciao , Frank.

Old December 8th 06, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 7 Dec 2006 19:55:11 GMT, (Frank Knappe) wrote:

Any other suggestions?

http://www.griffin.co.uk/Products/Home/ perhaps.

If you want a monthly contract you'll be paying an upfront setup fee.
Anything with free setup is very likely to have an exit fee within the
first 12 months, if you haven't seen one I would re-check.

freeola.com have some offers that may interest.
http://freeola.com/broadband/

30 GB peak time / 300 GB off-peak 24.99/mo with 3 months disconted by
10/mo

Phil
Old December 8th 06, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi,

I always check from http://www.getbroadband-online.co.uk/ and took
recently the BT's 9.95/month offer from there. Must say everything was
done exactly as and when promised. Currently running at 4MB with no
problems so far (fingers crossed for the future) cheers...pappa

Frank Knappe wrote:
[...]

From the technical point of view the 19.99 offer from Orange was my first

Old December 8th 06, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Default SPAM was: Reliable broadband installation

wrote:

Hi,

F**k you !

Your spam isn't wanted.

Old December 9th 06, 01:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Knappe

Phil Thompson wrote:
On 7 Dec 2006 19:55:11 GMT, (Frank Knappe) wrote:

Any other suggestions?

http://www.griffin.co.uk/Products/Home/ perhaps.

Their descriptions of the features are quite limited. Does "unlimited
Internet access" really means unlimited. I couldn't find any statements
regarding any exceptions, but that doesn't mean there are no one.

If you want a monthly contract you'll be paying an upfront setup fee.

I don't have a problem with that. I know that there is no free lunch.
And buying my own router isn't a problem either. Any recommendations are
welcome (wireless required).

Anything with free setup is very likely to have an exit fee within the
first 12 months, if you haven't seen one I would re-check.

freeola.com have some offers that may interest.
http://freeola.com/broadband/

30 GB peak time / 300 GB off-peak 24.99/mo with 3 months disconted by
10/mo

Very interesting. Any comments on their service?

What about VOIP using them?

--

Ciao , Frank.

Old December 9th 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Knappe

Phil Thompson wrote:
Their descriptions of the features are quite limited. Does "unlimited
Internet access" really means unlimited. I couldn't find any statements
regarding any exceptions, but that doesn't mean there are no one.

as with all UK ISPs there will come a point where very high use makes
the account uneconomic and some form of "Fair Usage Policy" kicks in.

Well I have nothing against such policies, as long it is clearly stated
(both in finding the information and in the technical description). What I
don't like are advertisement with terms like "unlimited" and in the
absolutely smallest small print you find the exceptions.

Griffin and Demon both have this approach, and the "trigger point" is
not tightly defined. Neither of them have taken much action to date.

On one point that's good, but on the other hand what stops them from
making such actions at 10 Gb/month in the future? If I can get out of the
contract immediatly after such changes, fine.

I would say 50 - 100 GB/month is the sort of level that may attract
attention, especially if its all peak time.

Okay, these numbers sounds understandable.

--

Ciao , Frank.

Old December 9th 06, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 08 Dec 2006, Phil Thompson wrote:

freeola.com have some offers that may interest.

I had been expecting to suggest a check of UKFSN.org (another reseller of
EntaNet) but see Freeola has a free activation offer on as well, whereas
it would not be free with UKFSN. It *looks* as though there's no admin
or other charge for cancelling after the first three months, but seems
worth getting written confirmation for that. Had it not been for the
activation fee, then UKFSN would start to be the cheaper option once
6 months of use had been exceeded, because the 24.99 at Freeola would
end up costing more (despite the initial 10 pounds off) than 19.99 for
UKFSN. Wonder who (EntaNet or Freeola, I assume the latter) will cover
the cost of this free activation offer...
Old December 9th 06, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 9 Dec 2006 11:27:30 GMT, (Frank Knappe) wrote:

On one point that's good, but on the other hand what stops them from
making such actions at 10 Gb/month in the future?

competition.

Phil
Old December 10th 06, 01:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Knappe

NoNeedToKnow wrote:
freeola.com have some offers that may interest.

I had been expecting to suggest a check of UKFSN.org (another reseller of
EntaNet) but see Freeola has a free activation offer on as well, whereas
it would not be free with UKFSN. It *looks* as though there's no admin
or other charge for cancelling after the first three months, but seems
worth getting written confirmation for that. Had it not been for the

I will try to get that on monday. At the moment that seems to be the best
offer for me. Descent speed and transfer volume, no activation fee and
only 3 month minimum contract length.

What about the ADSL modems? Are they different from the german ones?
Perhaps I can get a cheap old one when I'm back in germany over christmas.

activation fee, then UKFSN would start to be the cheaper option once
6 months of use had been exceeded, because the 24.99 at Freeola would
end up costing more (despite the initial 10 pounds off) than 19.99 for
UKFSN. Wonder who (EntaNet or Freeola, I assume the latter) will cover
the cost of this free activation offer...

Well after the 3 month I can change anyway. And the activation fee is only
to be payed once, isn't it?

--

Ciao , Frank.