No effective change in speed after 512 kbps to 2 mbps upgrade

Old December 8th 06, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Evan

Default No effective change in speed after 512 kbps to 2 mbps upgrade

For a number of practical reasons, at my place of employment we have
decided to pay our broadband reseller more to provide a faster service.

Despite assurances from our provider that the switch has occurred, and
our rebooted Belkin router reporting a line rate of 2272 (presumably
kbps) our effective download speeds are still 512 kbps.

We have run numerous speed tests all of which report 512 kbps or less.
Routine downloads like virus definitions and software patches still max
out at 64 Kilobytes/sec (512 kbps) as reported in Explorer.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? How can this have happened?
Why is my router lying to me? What's the best suggestion in getting a
more thorough investigation done?

Thanks in advance.

Old December 8th 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven

"Evan" wrote in message
ups.com...
For a number of practical reasons, at my place of employment we have
decided to pay our broadband reseller more to provide a faster service.

Despite assurances from our provider that the switch has occurred, and
our rebooted Belkin router reporting a line rate of 2272 (presumably
kbps) our effective download speeds are still 512 kbps.

We have run numerous speed tests all of which report 512 kbps or less.
Routine downloads like virus definitions and software patches still max
out at 64 Kilobytes/sec (512 kbps) as reported in Explorer.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? How can this have happened?
Why is my router lying to me? What's the best suggestion in getting a
more thorough investigation done?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, despite the line sync being increased, your ISP still has a 512kbps cap
on your service. (more coommonly known as throttling). Ring your ISP and
tell them your speed is being throttled down to 512kbps, even though your
line is now sync'ing at 2272kbps.

Just as a matter of iinterest, what was the line sync speed before you
upgraded? Was it 512kbps or thereabouts?

Who is the ISP in question??

Try a speed test he http://www.giganews.com/test_connect.html and
click on the 'news-europe.giganews.com' link to start the speed test.

Regards

Old December 8th 06, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi,

You say that speedtests have been done so free speedtest/optimize scan
from http://www.speedtest-online.co.uk/ (under speedtest section from
homepage) would help you then? (Optimize tweaks the optimal registry
values to get the most from your Internet connection.)

Not familiar with Belkin router, but should it not have manager
software for things like (status of Broadband Line, Internet
Connection, Traffic Stats, DHCP Table, Routing Table, ARP Table)? You
are sure that the model has physical components to support 2MB?

Your ASDL is dedicated to one station not shared by multiple
workstations for example via LAN?

Whose line is it physically?(Is switch supporting 2MB to/from your
location? Should surely by now?)

If you wish I can send (borrow) you SAGEM 800 with USB and ASDL (+
microfilter) should you want make comparison with different harware (I
have only spare ISDN router from Cisco which could be upgraded into
ASDL should one want).

Maybe some vvizard has better advice than my checkpoint questions who
knows? Cheers...pappa

Old December 8th 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Evan wrote:

For a number of practical reasons, at my place of employment we have
decided to pay our broadband reseller more to provide a faster service.

Despite assurances from our provider that the switch has occurred, and
our rebooted Belkin router reporting a line rate of 2272 (presumably
kbps) our effective download speeds are still 512 kbps.

We have run numerous speed tests all of which report 512 kbps or less.
Routine downloads like virus definitions and software patches still max
out at 64 Kilobytes/sec (512 kbps) as reported in Explorer.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? How can this have happened?
Why is my router lying to me? What's the best suggestion in getting a
more thorough investigation done?

Is this a BT hosted connection or LLU ? The upstream sync rate is a clue btw but
you didn't post the info. 448 would tend to suggest BT.

If it's provided by BT you can go to speedtester.bt.com. It's fairly useless
since it seems to be constantly busy but if you actually manage to get it to
work it'll tell you what your profile rate is. It's the only way I've come
across of finding this.

I can't complain myself too much. My profile's set to 7150 kbs and it doesn't go
any higher.

Graham

Old December 8th 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Evan

Thanks for the all the advice.

FYI, It's a small ISP that a LLU. They handle most of our bespoke
software.

I have to agree that the simplest explanation is probably the case.
The ISP is still throttling the speed at 512 kbps.

This is what the Belkin router is reporting.

Status ADSL Line
Line Mode G.dmt Line State Show Time

Latency Type Fast Line Up Time Duration 00:00:09:02

Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream

Line Rate 2272 Kbps 288 Kbps

Attainable Line Rate 9120 Kbps 1272 Kbps

Noise Margin 27.8 dB 30.0 dB

Line Attenuation 11.0 dB 4.0 dB

Output Power 11.4 dBm 11.7 dBm

Old December 8th 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi,

Yes most likely that is the case. I am just so slow in typing that
while I was still typing the answer had already been posted, but unless
throttling was the case and you still need any help I can give kindly
let me know. Cheers...pappa

Old December 8th 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 8 Dec 2006, "Evan" wrote:

The ISP is still throttling the speed at 512 kbps.

Would be handy to know which ISP this is - mostly because it's useful to
know who is still offering 2000 kbps service, as some clients are not
impressed by "up to 8000 kbps" when they see various complaints on
newsgroups and websites... I have not had much time of late to
check on which still offer 2000 kbps, and I'm planning to take ~10
weeks break in a week's time, so any info on this would be useful...

This is what the Belkin router is reporting.

Could you let us (well, me, then :-) know what model it is, please?

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2272 Kbps 288 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 9120 Kbps 1272 Kbps

Not seen that info mentioned on other routers..

Noise Margin 27.8 dB 30.0 dB

Line Attenuation 11.0 dB 4.0 dB

Pretty good figures, just keeping fingers crossed they're not reported
the wrong way around (which has also been mentioned of late... ie the
noise margin at 11 and 4, the attenuation at 28 and 30). With the low
figures you're seeing, how close to the exchange is the place? Seems
rather a short distance if the figures are correct...
Old December 9th 06, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Evan

I don't know the answers about distance to the exchange, but I gather
we're getting a particularly good attentuation and noise signal?

As you're curious, the ADSL modem / router is a Belkin ADSL Modem with
Wireless G Router, model F5D7632-4 Version 2000UK

The ISP quickly rectified the problem after I reported it. I won't
name them as they're a small Software/Hardware developer who supply
only business customers who use their bespoke systems. You'd never
find them in a search for a supplier, not would advertising their
technological oversights help our business relationship with them.

Cheers all for your suggestions.

Old December 9th 06, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 9 Dec 2006 05:31:18 -0800, "Evan" wrote:

I won't
name them as they're a small Software/Hardware developer who supply
only business customers who use their bespoke systems.

do they have a BT Central connection or are they resellers of a bigger
ISP ? Your posting IP comes from http://www.eliteisp.co.uk/

Phil
Old December 9th 06, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 09 Dec 2006, Phil Thompson wrote:

Your posting IP comes from http://www.eliteisp.co.uk/

yes, I noticed that a little after posting... back to the
figures... I cannot help but think that the figures might
have been reported the wrong way round...