Opinions on Eclipse Broadband

Old December 8th 06, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDysk

Default Opinions on Eclipse Broadband

I'm looking at Eclipse Evolution Broadband Option 1 for my dad.

He's currently with Tiscali who he is not happy with so has got his Mac code
and is ready to move.

Evolution option 1 has all the right features he is after at the right
price.

So I would appreciate any comments on how good or bad Eclipse is as an ISP
from anybody that has used them or is using them.. They seem to do fairly
well in the comparisons on thinkbroadband.com but you can't beat personal
recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Old December 8th 06, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 08 Dec 2006, "TheDysk" wrote:

I'm looking at Eclipse Evolution Broadband Option 1 for my dad.

So I would appreciate any comments on how good or bad Eclipse is as an ISP
from anybody that has used them or is using them.. They seem to do fairly
well in the comparisons on thinkbroadband.com but you can't beat personal
recommendations.

I'm on Evolution level 1, and have been for several months (since not long
after DSL Max became widely available). Has worked well for me, and I'm
a fairly heavy user (20 to 50 GB of traffic a month, not 100s of GB).

I don't use it for games or VoIP, and the peak hours of 1800 to 0000 will
often find me doing other things (eating, TV, etc, or out of the house)
so the 20 GB limit in peak hours, and any "low priority" traffic don't
affect me - but have used it for streaming audio off BBC radio, for
example, some evenings, eg tonight, when it has been pouring for hours
and staying indoors was far more sensible than going out :-) Also used
it to watch the Snooker from the BBC some time back, and watch webcams
and have used other streaming video services, so know it can cope.

Have downloaded some large quantities of data (mostly podcasts) and see
speeds exceeding 5 Mbps from time to time (but don't run speed tests
that often) - I've never found it slow enough to annoy me. Once had
a problem reaching some USA websites and rang tech support... was
fixed within 45 minutes of the call. They are easy to contact early
in the day, rather than late afternoon/early evening, and apart from my
routing problem, the other time I needed to make contact was to help
sort out a problem for a friend's parents - BT seemed to have done
something which left them with no sync for a few days. I lent a
spare router and since I had net access, was chasing their support
ticket. One day it was escalated to BT and fixed within 2 hours of
that, but it seemed that various tests reported "no problem" so that
was why it took a bit of chasing to get it sorted out.

There are some negative comments about their service, and DSLzoneUK.net
shows a ranking well down - just above the bottom, in fact. It hasn't
put me off, and apart from the few days with no service, have heard no
comments or complaints before or after from the friend's parents, so
can only assume they too have had few problems. Hope that helps!

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 and we'll beat Australia :-)

Old December 8th 06, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 21:38:34 GMT, "TheDysk"
wrote:

I'm looking at Eclipse Evolution Broadband Option 1 for my dad.

is that the "throttled to the hilt" version ?

Phil
Old December 8th 06, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDysk

wrote:

I'm looking at Eclipse Evolution Broadband Option 1 for my dad.

is that the "throttled to the hilt" version ?

Yes I believe it is.

My dad is not a heavy user but needs more that the usual 2Gb monthly usage
limit that many ISP impose on their packages. Therefore this package should
be fine for him.

Old December 8th 06, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDysk

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 08 Dec 2006, "TheDysk" wrote:
Hope that helps!

Yes thanks. That helps a great deal.

Cheers

Old December 9th 06, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

wrote:

I'm looking at Eclipse Evolution Broadband Option 1 for my dad.

is that the "throttled to the hilt" version ?

Yes I believe it is.

My dad is not a heavy user but needs more that the usual 2Gb monthly usage
limit that many ISP impose on their packages. Therefore this package should
be fine for him.

Have a look at Newnet. 3GB/month for 12:95/m, then an extra 2:70 in 4Gig
blocks over that limit. Migration to them is free.

I was with Eclipse, but left after they started throttling Usenet text only
servers, and the final straw was when they started LLU'ing people without
giving them notice, or an opt out option, to (though not confirmed) a
Tiscali LLU connection shudder

http://www.newnet.co.uk/broadband/home.php

Look here too:-

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/threads.php?Cat=&C=4

--
Mark
Old December 9th 06, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Complete and utter pants service. Not much better than Tiscali.

Dan

Old December 10th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 9 Dec 2006, "Dan" wrote:

Complete and utter pants service. Not much better than Tiscali.

It seems not everyone is happy with NewNet, then, or was your post just
a follow-up to the wrong post? Seeing no quoted text, one might
be forgiven for assuming it was a comment on NewNet...