No Orange News Server

Old December 9th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Victor Delta

Default No Orange News Server

I've just changed over to using Orange as my ISP (Wanadoo, Freeserve
really?).

To my surprise they no longer provide access to Usenet via a news server.
Obviously I could access the groups via a web-based service, but I prefer
using Outlook Express as one can use the message rules to flag up topics of
interest.

I have also tried a couple of free news servers, but have so far no found a
way to send posts using them.

Can other Orange users tell me how they overcome this problem please.

Thanks,

Old December 9th 06, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:33:33 UTC, "Victor Delta"
wrote:

I've just changed over to using Orange as my ISP (Wanadoo, Freeserve
really?).

To my surprise they no longer provide access to Usenet via a news server.
Obviously I could access the groups via a web-based service, but I prefer
using Outlook Express as one can use the message rules to flag up topics of
interest.

I have also tried a couple of free news servers, but have so far no found a
way to send posts using them.

Can other Orange users tell me how they overcome this problem please.

I'm not an Orange user, but I use a text-based news server (if that's
enough for you) that costs 10 euro a year; not excessive. very reliable
and complete.

http://news.individual.net

http://www.voipinside.net
Old December 9th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian A

wrote:

I've just changed over to using Orange as my ISP (Wanadoo, Freeserve
really?).

To my surprise they no longer provide access to Usenet via a news
server. Obviously I could access the groups via a web-based service,
but I prefer using Outlook Express as one can use the message rules
to flag up topics of interest.

I have also tried a couple of free news servers, but have so far no
found a way to send posts using them.

Can other Orange users tell me how they overcome this problem please.

I'm not an Orange user, but I use a text-based news server (if that's
enough for you) that costs 10 euro a year; not excessive. very
reliable
and complete.

http://news.individual.net

Agreed, but if 10 EUR (6.78) per year is to much try
http://news.aioe.org/index.php a freeserver which I use as a backup.

Old December 9th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jpd

Try this site...

http://news.datemas.de/

Old December 9th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Victor Delta

"Adrian A" wrote in message
Bob Eager wrote:
http://news.individual.net

Agreed, but if 10 EUR (6.78) per year is to much try
http://news.aioe.org/index.php a freeserver which I use as a backup.

Many thanks for these suggestions. I'm currently trying out
http://news.aioe.org/index.php and so far it seems very good, just what I
was looking for.

Old December 9th 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Victor Delta wrote:

Many thanks for these suggestions. I'm currently trying out
http://news.aioe.org/index.php and so far it seems very good, just what I
was looking for.

Yes, it does seem quite good. However I can only get it to intermittently
work through Port 80, which is a shame because I was hoping replace Google
Groups for one application of mine.

--
Mark
Old December 10th 06, 05:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Victor Delta" wrote in message
I've just changed over to using Orange as my ISP (Wanadoo, Freeserve
really?).

To my surprise they no longer provide access to Usenet via a news server.
Obviously I could access the groups via a web-based service, but I prefer
using Outlook Express as one can use the message rules to flag up topics
of
interest.

I have also tried a couple of free news servers, but have so far no found
way to send posts using them.

Can other Orange users tell me how they overcome this problem please.

Thanks,

Try news.svr.pol.co.uk which is an old freeserve server but still seems to
work but doesn't have all the groups.

The other one I used to use was news1.greatnowhere.com for the goups the
other one didn't have.