VOIPcheap and PAP2 configuration

Old December 9th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

Default VOIPcheap and PAP2 configuration

I have signed up with VOIPcheap, and want now to set up my PAPT2 for
outgoing SIP calls on the service. I have their instructions for doing
this, but am having difficulty in correlating them with what I see in
the PAPT2 configuration screen of the browser interface, as follows:

1) Username -- What username is this? I don't see any such item in the
configuration screens.

2) Password -- I see places to enter User password and Admin
password; I am assuming that VOIPcheap wants the latter, and that I
can leave User password blank.

3) SIP/Proxy registrar -- PAPT2 does not know this term. There is a
blank for Proxy; does it want a proxy name or a registrar name?

Evidently, VOIPcheap is not going to provision the device in anyway,
so that I'm assuming that Provision enable is to be turned off.
Presumably Upgrade enable refers to firmware upgrades, if any, but
it is not clear if this is for the remote use of a provider or for the
user who has himself downloaded an update; I'm assuming that this too
should be turned off.

There are options such as Caller ID method which must depend on the
standards of the local telco, and that I must consult with them for
answers (I do not want to bet on my chances of getting such
information). If someone knows about a source that defines these
parameters for various countries, I hope he will offer a pointer to
it.

In addition to the above, I am flummoxed by many of the
non-intuitively named options for the device. The PAP2T came without
any information on that level; is there somewhere that defines them?

Old December 9th 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Stan:
[...]

Yes, keep it turned off.

There are options such as Caller ID method which must depend on the
standards of the local telco, and that I must consult with them for
answers (I do not want to bet on my chances of getting such
information). If someone knows about a source that defines these
parameters for various countries, I hope he will offer a pointer to
it.

In addition to the above, I am flummoxed by many of the
non-intuitively named options for the device. The PAP2T came without
any information on that level; is there somewhere that defines them?

Along the top with be Line 1 and Line 2, if you click on one of them,
you will then find User ID and password.

Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version

Old December 9th 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:48:53 UTC, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
opined:
Thus spaketh Stan:
[...]

Yes. After entering these and saving, I now find that the 8-character
password I entered is now represented by thirteen asterisks, which
seems very strange. I've tried this several times with the same
result. It can't be right.

Also, I have three times set the date and time, but these settings do
not survive closing the screen and reopening it; the Information
screen tell me that we are still in 2003. What is happening?

Where is Domain? The only such option I find is grouped with such
items as the IP address and mask and the Gateway, leading me to
believe that the intent is to the local domain. If this is the place
they want me to put the "Domain/Realm"? Admittedly this is optional;
but I have my local domain name there (what Windows calls "Workgroup",
I think).

But I am not getting a dialtone when I lift the handset. Or is there
something else that I have to do to activate the ability to make SIP
calls?

Except for Domain, which is optional, ALL the entries in their
published list are in place:

Username -- the one that gets me into their website
Password -- ditto
Proxy -- sip.voipcheam.com
STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com

Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version

Yes, I had that. For the record, I am using voipcheap.com, and I _am_
registered. The analog telephone is plugged into the Line 1 jack,
and Line 1 is the one that I am configuring. The PAP2T's two rightmost
LEDs are illuminated. Neither of the other two lights, even when I
lift the handset.

Old December 9th 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Stan:
[...]

Yeah, that's right, like many it doesn't display the same number of * as
the number of characters in the password, it's so people don't have a
clue how many chars you have in your password and help them to work it
out.

Also, I have three times set the date and time, but these settings do
not survive closing the screen and reopening it; the Information
screen tell me that we are still in 2003. What is happening?

When I've entered the date and time, once saved and you go back in the
entries are blank, but the PAP2 remembers the correct date and time.

Daylight Saving Time Rule:
start=3/-1/7/2:0:0;end=10/-1/7/2:0:0;save=1:0:0

Where is Domain? The only such option I find is grouped with such
items as the IP address and mask and the Gateway, leading me to
believe that the intent is to the local domain. If this is the place
they want me to put the "Domain/Realm"? Admittedly this is optional;
but I have my local domain name there (what Windows calls "Workgroup",
I think).

But I am not getting a dialtone when I lift the handset. Or is there
something else that I have to do to activate the ability to make SIP
calls?

Except for Domain, which is optional, ALL the entries in their
published list are in place:

Username -- the one that gets me into their website
Password -- ditto
Proxy -- sip.voipcheam.com
STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com

Line Enable: YES

SIP Port: 5060

Username -- VoIPCheap Username
Password -- VoIPCheap Password
Proxy -- sip.voipcheap.com
STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com

Use Auth ID: NO

Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version

Yes, I had that. For the record, I am using voipcheap.com, and I _am_
registered. The analog telephone is plugged into the Line 1 jack,
and Line 1 is the one that I am configuring. The PAP2T's two rightmost
LEDs are illuminated. Neither of the other two lights, even when I
lift the handset.

Ensure VoIPCheap software isn't running.

There are other settings that will need changing for reginal variations,
but they can be done once up and running.

The PAP2 is a great device, however it does allow for a lot of
customisation, which I believe is good, but maybe a headache for those
new to such devices, it was this customisation that sold it to me.

Old December 9th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:59:20 UTC, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
opined:
Thus spaketh Stan:
[...]

I have never seen this before, but now that I know that it's normal
for this device, so be it.

Also, I have three times set the date and time, but these settings do
not survive closing the screen and reopening it; the Information
screen tell me that we are still in 2003. What is happening?

When I've entered the date and time, once saved and you go back in the
entries are blank, but the PAP2 remembers the correct date and time.

I see what happened. I had entered the date as dd/mm/yy, which is what
the page says it wants. It caught the day and month correctly, but not
the year. It is keeping time correctly, but thinks it is 2003. Two
letters for year means to me that "06" should have done it, but
apparently it wants all four digits.

Daylight Saving Time Rule:
start=3/-1/7/2:0:0;end=10/-1/7/2:0:0;save=1:0:0

I didn't set a rule for that, because it will be wrong in any case.
One hour off in warm weather doesn't really bother me.

[...]

These two are the defaults, and I have left them alone.

Username -- VoIPCheap Username
Password -- VoIPCheap Password
Proxy -- sip.voipcheap.com
STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com

That's what is there. (The misspellilng in the Proxy name is a typo in
the posting.)

Use Auth ID: NO

That's the default, and I didn't change it.

Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version

Yes, I had that. For the record, I am using voipcheap.com, and I _am_
registered. The analog telephone is plugged into the Line 1 jack,
and Line 1 is the one that I am configuring. The PAP2T's two rightmost
LEDs are illuminated. Neither of the other two lights, even when I
lift the handset.

Ensure VoIPCheap software isn't running.

It can't run; I am not using a Windows machine.

There are other settings that will need changing for reginal variations,
but they can be done once up and running.

The PAP2 is a great device, however it does allow for a lot of
customisation, which I believe is good, but maybe a headache for those
new to such devices, it was this customisation that sold it to me.

I agree with you that flexibility is A Good Thing, and I hope to be
able to make use of it with this device. But the question right now
is, why am I not getting a dialtone?

Now another problem has cropped up, probably connected with the above.
Opening the configuration screens on the browser shows me only the
Info tab, and none of the tabs are highlighted. I see this on two
machines, so evidently I have done something to exclude myself from
the configuration. How can I get out of this? I assume I have to
restore the entire default configuration, and begin again. How to do
that?

Old December 9th 06, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

Username -- the one that gets me into their website
Password -- ditto
Proxy -- sip.voipcheam.com
STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com

Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version

Can you do it that way now?
When I set up my Asterisk box for voipcheap.co.uk and voipcheap.com
I had to use sip.voipSTUNT.co.uk for both services.
Thats still the way its set up.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old December 9th 06, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 16:03:01 UTC, "Stan"
opined:
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:59:20 UTC, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
opined:
Thus spaketh Stan:

Where is Domain? The only such option I find is grouped with such
items as the IP address and mask and the Gateway, leading me to
believe that the intent is to the local domain. If this is the place
they want me to put the "Domain/Realm"? Admittedly this is optional;
but I have my local domain name there (what Windows calls "Workgroup",
I think).

This is a question that hasn't been answered yet. The only Domain
option I have found seems clearly to want the domain of my LAN
(judging from the context in which it appears). I do not think that
this is what VOIPcheap is talking about in its instructions, because
it has nothing to do with IP telephony, and because it is certainly
not optional, as their instructions say. Yet they suggest a string to
enter there. What option are they talking about?

But I am not getting a dialtone when I lift the handset. Or is there
something else that I have to do to activate the ability to make SIP
calls?

Except for Domain, which is optional, ALL the entries in their
published list are in place:

Username -- the one that gets me into their website
Password -- ditto
Proxy -- sip.voipcheap.com --= corrected
[...]

Please disregard the paragraph above. I have found what caused it, and
it is not relevant. Sorry.

Concerning the time setting, my memory betrayed me: The option does
NOT ask for the year, but only the month and day, which are indeed
saved correctly. The Info page gives the correct month and day, and
for no apparent reason declares that this is all happening in 2003. I
have configured several things in the last few days, and cleaerly
mixed up my memories. Again, sorry.

So everything is as it should be, except that I don't get a dialtone.

I notice that there is an option for using Outgoing proxy, which I
have turned off because VOIPcheap doesn't mention it. Should it be
turned on?

Old December 9th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 16:14:10 UTC, "Graham" opined:

Username -- the one that gets me into their website
Password -- ditto
Proxy -- sip.voipcheam.com
STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com

Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version

Can you do it that way now?
When I set up my Asterisk box for voipcheap.co.uk and voipcheap.com
I had to use sip.voipSTUNT.co.uk for both services.
Thats still the way its set up.

The way he has written it is the same as VOIPcheap writes it in their
instructions.

Old December 9th 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-12-09, Stan wrote:

This is a question that hasn't been answered yet. The only Domain
option I have found seems clearly to want the domain of my LAN
(judging from the context in which it appears). I do not think that
this is what VOIPcheap is talking about in its instructions, because
it has nothing to do with IP telephony, and because it is certainly
not optional, as their instructions say. Yet they suggest a string to
enter there. What option are they talking about?

The Domain/Realm setting that VoipCheap mention is not one that can be
set on a PAP2 as there is no option for it. You can forget about it.

The HostName/Domain combination in System Configuration is not anything
you need concern yourself with. As you have figured out, it is to do
with your network not VoipCheap's. Leaving the two fields blank is fine.

So everything is as it should be, except that I don't get a dialtone.

In other post you mention being registered to sip.voipcheap.com. How do
know registration has taken place?

I notice that there is an option for using Outgoing proxy, which I
have turned off because VOIPcheap doesn't mention it. Should it be
turned on?

No. It not required.

Brian.