network master browser?

Old December 9th 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

Default network master browser?

I have a 4 workstation network consisting of XP pro and Home OS's.
The network runs fine in respect of file sharing et al, but I do find
that sometimes the 'main' PC (the one I generally use) can be a bit slow
to 'reveal' network drives/folders when I access them via "My Network
Places".

I understand this may be something to do with a 'master browser'
conflict?

I'd like my main PC to be much quicker at accessing network resources,
and for the other PC to be less important, so to speak.

I did find this site http://www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm quite
useful, but am not entirely comfortable with implementing the
suggestions therein.

Do I turn off the browser service on other PC's and let mine be 'in
charge' of do I simply set mine to be master browser and the others all
then simply accept this? Or do all PC's need to have a setting/config
change?

TIA
Old December 9th 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
Tx2 wrote:

I have a 4 workstation network consisting of XP pro and Home OS's.
The network runs fine in respect of file sharing et al, but I do find
that sometimes the 'main' PC (the one I generally use) can be a bit slow
to 'reveal' network drives/folders when I access them via "My Network
Places".

I understand this may be something to do with a 'master browser'
conflict?

I'd like my main PC to be much quicker at accessing network resources,
and for the other PC to be less important, so to speak.

I usually access network shares using Start-Run...\\PCname\sharename
You can create shortcuts in the same way and put them in a Toolbar.
AFAIK this method doesn't rely on Windows finding a resource before
trying to connect to it - it's like using a numeric URL to connect to a
website rather than first doing a DNS lookup on the name.

Old December 9th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
stephen

"Tx2" wrote in message
T...

I have a 4 workstation network consisting of XP pro and Home OS's.
The network runs fine in respect of file sharing et al, but I do find
that sometimes the 'main' PC (the one I generally use) can be a bit slow
to 'reveal' network drives/folders when I access them via "My Network
Places".

I understand this may be something to do with a 'master browser'
conflict?

there is a bidding mechanism for a master browser so that you end up with 1
on a specific subnet.

on a big commercial subnet it is "best practice" to make sure that the
master browser ends up on a permanently connected device that isnt likely to
be disconnected, shut down etc - servers are good choices.

the reasons are that the background load can be an issue (probably not with
modern hardware), the "bidding war" during a morning startup can cause some
delays and broadcast storms, and there is a delay after the current master
browser vanishes before an election starts.

on a home network those issues shouldnt matter.

I'd like my main PC to be much quicker at accessing network resources,
and for the other PC to be less important, so to speak.

I did find this site http://www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm quite
useful, but am not entirely comfortable with implementing the
suggestions therein.

Do I turn off the browser service on other PC's and let mine be 'in
charge' of do I simply set mine to be master browser and the others all
then simply accept this? Or do all PC's need to have a setting/config
change?

that would break the browser mechanism if your specificed PC isnt working -
is that what you want?

TIA

--
Regards