Streaming TV across home network

Old December 10th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
KD

Default Streaming TV across home network

Hi all,
I've been trying to use AV video senders in my house to transmit the output
from a freeview box to a TV upstairs but the signal quality degrades to an
unusable point about 2 feet before the destination TV is reached. However,
this TV is a 26" Dell TV/Monitor connected to a PC on the home network. I'm
about to have a new Dell machine delivered with MCE and a digital tuner
card. This machine will be downstairs. Is there any software I can use to
view the live output from the new Dell PC/TV card across the network on the
other machine upstairs ? I'm a bit new to all this network streaming stuff
:O) All the kit is wireless G stuff if that makes a difference. I've seen
mention of Slingboxes and other streamers but I just wondered if there was a
simple software solution in this scenario.

Thanks,
Keith

Old December 10th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 10 Dec
2006 18:56:30 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "KD"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Is there any software I can use to
view the live output from the new Dell PC/TV card across the network on the
other machine upstairs ?

Yes. VLC will do this.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
Old December 11th 06, 12:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
KD

"deKay" wrote in message
news
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 10
Dec
2006 18:56:30 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "KD"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Is there any software I can use to
view the live output from the new Dell PC/TV card across the network on
the
other machine upstairs ?

Yes. VLC will do this.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
"It's like a cross between Katamari Damacy and that bit in
Star Trek IV where they launch around the sun. Or something."

Cheers deKay,
I'll look into this. It'd be great to get rid of all the
not-quite-long-ranged-enough video senders.

Thanks,
Keith

Old December 11th 06, 12:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
stephen

"KD" wrote in message

"deKay" wrote in

message
news
[...]

you could always get a freeview box and TV tuner for upstairs machine if
there is an aerial in the right place....

Thanks,
Keith

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old December 11th 06, 12:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
KD

"stephen" wrote in message
"KD" wrote in message

"deKay" wrote in

message
news
[...]

Hi,
You've hit the nail on the head with "if there is an aerial in the right
place...."
Unfortunately there isn't, which is why I've been trying video sending etc
out. I've even considered having freesat installed as an easy option.
Fingers crossed the network solution can sort me out.

Cheers,
Keith