Is there any advantage in trying BT for Broadband please?

Old December 11th 06, 01:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slowchordchanger

Default Is there any advantage in trying BT for Broadband please?

Hi,
I've decided to make the jump to 512K broadband from dial-up here. I
tried Toucan but had nothing but hastle and it took three months before I
got any sense out of them and they got BT to come and check out the lines
etc.

The best BT could say was that I could have 512K but it would be iffy at
high traffic times.

I was wondering if it might be best to go to BT as then at least the same
outfit is providing the lines and the ADSL and the billing - or am I being
nieve?

I'm currently using Tesco.net dial-up and have no real quibbles about their
dial-up service.

Thanks for any help on this
Cheers
Tony (Hereford)

Old December 11th 06, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jpd

"Slowchordchanger" wrote in message
Hi,
I've decided to make the jump to 512K broadband from dial-up here. I
tried Toucan but had nothing but hastle and it took three months before I
got any sense out of them and they got BT to come and check out the lines
etc.

The best BT could say was that I could have 512K but it would be iffy at
high traffic times.

I was wondering if it might be best to go to BT as then at least the same
outfit is providing the lines and the ADSL and the billing - or am I being
nieve?

I'm currently using Tesco.net dial-up and have no real quibbles about
their
dial-up service.

No, avoid BT if you can... it depends on how far away from your exchange you
are.

Have a look at http://www.thinkbroadband.com and compare BB providers.

Old December 11th 06, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 11 Dec 2006, "Slowchordchanger" wrote:

I was wondering if it might be best to go to BT as then at least the same
outfit is providing the lines and the ADSL and the billing

Well, until the last couple of years, most ISPs were only ever able to sell
you a product that was provided by BT Wholesale to them, and they seemed to
offer at least as good as BT's own broadband services, in many cases with a
deal of extra flexibility. However, now it may depend a little on what you
already have in the way of other equipment, because BT Broadband can supply
a "BT Home Hub" (wireless router) and now, with BT Vision, you can get some
additional hardware in the form of a Freeview box with built-in hard drive,
so programmes can be recorded off air (and also, via download on ADSL, from
their subscription service, if you found any content to be worth 3-5 pounds
a month)... So if you don't already have Freeview/cable/Sky then BTB might
be of interest for the other features being offered at relatively low cost.

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 279) Let's beat Australia :-

Old December 11th 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

"Jethro" wrote in message
. net...
Slowchordchanger wrote

Hi,
I've decided to make the jump to 512K broadband from dial-up here. I
tried Toucan but had nothing but hastle and it took three months before I
got any sense out of them and they got BT to come and check out the lines
etc.

The best BT could say was that I could have 512K but it would be iffy at
high traffic times.

I was wondering if it might be best to go to BT as then at least the same
outfit is providing the lines and the ADSL and the billing - or am I
being
nieve?

I'm currently using Tesco.net dial-up and have no real quibbles about
their
dial-up service.

Have you done any research on BB at adslguide ( or talkbroadband this
week)?

BT are a second rate ISP. There are several better ISPs than BT. Don't
jump in and sign a 12 month contract to discover you're requirements are
greater than you're allowed & the service is ****e, located in India and
costs a ****ing fortune to contact.

DONT DO IT.

Sorry for shouting but look at every other ISP before chosing BT.

Old December 11th 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 11 Dec 2006, Jethro wrote:

( or talkbroadband this week)?

I assume you mean www.thinkbroadband.com (I got it wrong the other day!)

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 271) Let's beat Australia :-

Old December 11th 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slowchordchanger

Thanks to all who've taken the trouble to help out, I've had a looksee at
the various sites.
One factor that got me totally stressed out with Toucan was the telephone
support line, it was almost invariably someone in India (no slur on India
here, just Toucans practices) who read out a prepared set of questions and
couldn't pass my query to a supervisor.

May I please impose on your time and ask if you can recommend an ISP that
has a decent support system?

Having had one nervous breakdown and being retired because of it I really
don't want another !

Thanks again
Tony (Hereford, England)

Old December 11th 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Alexander

"Slowchordchanger" wrote in message
Hi,
I've decided to make the jump to 512K broadband from dial-up here. I
tried Toucan but had nothing but hastle and it took three months before I
got any sense out of them and they got BT to come and check out the lines
etc.

The best BT could say was that I could have 512K but it would be iffy at
high traffic times.

I was wondering if it might be best to go to BT as then at least the same
outfit is providing the lines and the ADSL and the billing - or am I being
nieve?

I'm currently using Tesco.net dial-up and have no real quibbles about
their
dial-up service.

Well in that case why not try Tesco? In 10 months I've had flawless
broadband delivery. Billing flaky at the beginning and I'll probably
migrate soon for either cheaper, faster or both. Not 100% sure they
participate in MAC transfers out which ought to be a reason to avoid. As
far as I know support is not offshored.

Jim A

Old December 11th 06, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:52:12 GMT, "Slowchordchanger"
wrote:

I was wondering if it might be best to go to BT as then at least the same
outfit is providing the lines and the ADSL and the billing - or am I being
nieve?

I thought that - but found there that you actually are dealing with at least
three companies when BB packs up - BT broadband (in India) who might be able to
find out from BT wholesale why the line is stopped and finally the poor guy who
sorts the physical copper line to your place BT Openreach.
There was no advantage gained and we have been on dial-up for weeks due to the
various "BT" problems.

Geo
Old December 11th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slowchordchanger

Thanks again folks,
I've just signed up with Tesco for their "Value" 512K service at £13.99 per
month with 3 gig
download limit. Fingers crossed this will do the job without too much
hastle.
Wishing all a Very Merry Christmas and a great 2007
Cheers
Tony

Old December 11th 06, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

[...]

Changing your ISP will not change your line or the service it can
deliver (with the exception of ADSL2 providers).

As for it being iffy during high traffic times, that could be a
misunderstanding of either the engineer or you. What normally happens
is that during the evening (the same time it does get busy) the
ambient noise increases (not because of extra traffic, we're talking
back ground radio frequency noise) which could knock you off line if
it gets high enough. If the source is loud enough it can knock you
off any time day or night.

There are a few tweaks you could try for yourself in order to reduce
the pick up of this noise in your house but in many cases there isn't
a lot you can do in the network, especially in rural areas.