orange tied to their SMPT server.

Old December 11th 06, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dylan30

Default orange tied to their SMPT server.

As i have my own domain with 1&1 I use their mail server (smtp & Pop) I have
never had a problem with this (isp was plusnet & now eclipse) But I went to
visit family who are on orange broadband email would not send it kept
wanting the smtp change to the orange sever.

What a joke none of my other isp's have been this tight ! but a I suppose
anyone with their own domain would not be stupid enough to chose orange ?

Anyone else had any similar problems.

regards
Adam

Old December 11th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Nelson

In article ,
"dylan30" writes:
As i have my own domain with 1&1 I use their mail server (smtp & Pop) I have
never had a problem with this (isp was plusnet & now eclipse) But I went to
visit family who are on orange broadband email would not send it kept
wanting the smtp change to the orange sever.

What a joke none of my other isp's have been this tight ! but a I suppose
anyone with their own domain would not be stupid enough to chose orange ?

Anyone else had any similar problems.

Why is it a problem?

A large proportion of spam now originates from zombie PCs shipping it out
on port 25. Forcing customer equipment to use the ISP's hub for outgoing
mail is an anti-spam measure, and is a Good Thing. Orange are to be
commended for their approach, not told they're a joke, and other ISPs should
be forcing that the same way. Not only that, but you shouldn't be able to
use your own ISP's SMTP server from Orange, because if you can, you're
using them as a relayer and they may be relaying spam that way.

Ask your ISP about authenticated SMTP on port 587, if you must send via
there.
--
SAm.
Old December 11th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message

Why is it a problem?

A large proportion of spam now originates from zombie PCs shipping it out
on port 25. Forcing customer equipment to use the ISP's hub for outgoing
mail is an anti-spam measure, and is a Good Thing. Orange are to be
commended for their approach, not told they're a joke, and other ISPs
should
be forcing that the same way. Not only that, but you shouldn't be able to
use your own ISP's SMTP server from Orange, because if you can, you're
using them as a relayer and they may be relaying spam that way.

Relaying from another isp is not quite the same as sending from your own
domain though. How else is somebody supposed to send email from a domain
they own?

Old December 11th 06, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chris

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message

Why is it a problem?

A large proportion of spam now originates from zombie PCs shipping it out
on port 25. Forcing customer equipment to use the ISP's hub for outgoing
mail is an anti-spam measure, and is a Good Thing. Orange are to be
commended for their approach, not told they're a joke, and other ISPs
should
be forcing that the same way. Not only that, but you shouldn't be able
use your own ISP's SMTP server from Orange, because if you can, you're
using them as a relayer and they may be relaying spam that way.

Relaying from another isp is not quite the same as sending from your own
domain though. How else is somebody supposed to send email from a domain
they own?

You send out through the ISP's SMTP server!

Old December 11th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message

Why is it a problem?

A large proportion of spam now originates from zombie PCs shipping it out
on port 25. Forcing customer equipment to use the ISP's hub for outgoing
mail is an anti-spam measure, and is a Good Thing. Orange are to be
commended for their approach, not told they're a joke, and other ISPs
should
be forcing that the same way. Not only that, but you shouldn't be able
use your own ISP's SMTP server from Orange, because if you can, you're
using them as a relayer and they may be relaying spam that way.

Relaying from another isp is not quite the same as sending from your own
domain though. How else is somebody supposed to send email from a domain
they own?

You use the ISPs smtp server that you are connected to e.g. use Orange's
smtp server. All you have to do is to reconfigure your email client so that
it uses your domain name for the FROM address as well as the REPLY address.

Old December 11th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dylan30

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message
In article ,
"dylan30" writes:
[...]

I pay my isp to provide "internet access". I do not expect my isp to dictate
who I use as my email service provider and neither of them plusnet or
eclipse have. Orange as an isp has taken this stance and is restricting
customer choice. I remember Microsoft got in hot water with the eu over
restricting its customers choice and may do so again over vista.

Therefore orange is restricting their customers choice and is in the wrong
other isp's (i.e. those I have used) are giving their customer the right to
chose and in the right.

Regards
Adam

Old December 11th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Nelson

In article ,
"Beck" [email protected] writes:
"Sam Nelson" wrote in message
Why is it a problem?

A large proportion of spam now originates from zombie PCs shipping it out
on port 25. Forcing customer equipment to use the ISP's hub for outgoing
mail is an anti-spam measure, and is a Good Thing. Orange are to be
commended for their approach, not told they're a joke, and other ISPs
should
be forcing that the same way. Not only that, but you shouldn't be able to
use your own ISP's SMTP server from Orange, because if you can, you're
using them as a relayer and they may be relaying spam that way.

Relaying from another isp is not quite the same as sending from your own
domain though. How else is somebody supposed to send email from a domain
they own?

Either I'm missing the point or you are.
--
SAm.
Old December 11th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message

Why is it a problem?

A large proportion of spam now originates from zombie PCs shipping it
out
on port 25. Forcing customer equipment to use the ISP's hub for
outgoing
mail is an anti-spam measure, and is a Good Thing. Orange are to be
commended for their approach, not told they're a joke, and other ISPs
should
be forcing that the same way. Not only that, but you shouldn't be able
use your own ISP's SMTP server from Orange, because if you can, you're
using them as a relayer and they may be relaying spam that way.

Relaying from another isp is not quite the same as sending from your own
domain though. How else is somebody supposed to send email from a domain
they own?

You send out through the ISP's SMTP server!

I suppose it depends on the domain, my domain has smtp email.

Old December 11th 06, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dylan30

Relaying from another isp is not quite the same as sending from your own
domain though. How else is somebody supposed to send email from a domain
they own?

You send out through the ISP's SMTP server!

why should i use my ISP's smtp server. I don't have an email account with
them. I pay for that via my 1&1 domain hosting package. While i was with
plusnet and everyone complaining about the reliablity of the mail server. I
had no problem cause i did not use it. I had a choice to use a reliable
service from 1&1 but orange is not offering a choice and is restricting
customers choice.Thats why i am saying they are a joke !

regards
adam

Old December 11th 06, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dylan30

" Relaying from another isp is not quite the same as sending from your own
domain though. How else is somebody supposed to send email from a domain
they own?

You use the ISPs smtp server that you are connected to e.g. use Orange's
smtp server. All you have to do is to reconfigure your email client so
that it uses your domain name for the FROM address as well as the REPLY
address. My Domain has smtp setting and these are what i use. Plusnet &
eclipse don't have a problem with this But orange does.They are restricing
their customer choice. Do you have to change smtp stting when you take
your laptop to a "wireless hotspot". I suspect not because that would be a
pain in the bum. So why should i change email settings when visiting
someone and using their orange broadband. !

Adam