Got Broadband - need some webspace

Old December 12th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Retired

Default Got Broadband - need some webspace

I know this question is inviting rude remarks from a minority of readers,
but it stems from my acquisition of broadband.
I've now moved my own web site to my ISP and can access it over my new
broadband link. But I also ran a web site for my pensioner's group with my
previous ISP, and this can only be accessed via their dial up service. When
I had to use dial-up this didn't matter, but its a waste now (and so slow!).
And as I want to hand the site over to my successor, (who also has
broadband), I don't want it on my own site. So how do I get some web space
that I can access via my broadband link? We are prepared to pay for it if
its not to pricey.
Advice would be appreciated - or a pointer towards a more suitable
newsgroup.

Retired

Old December 12th 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 12 Dec 2006, "Retired" wrote:

And as I want to hand the site over to my successor, (who also has
broadband), I don't want it on my own site.

So how do I get some web space that I can access via my broadband
link? We are prepared to pay for it if its not to pricey.

As a stop-gap, you might be able to use a free account from DriveHQ.com
(they provide up to 1 GB of free storage, and have backup s/w to allow
for scheduled backups to that storage, or "on the fly" (so as soon as
a new document is noticed, it is uploaded). There's a 200 MB download
limit (to prevent space being abused by file swappers) but they also
provide a folder/directory which is effectively webspace (presuming
you have a domain which you can 'point' to a URL of the form:

http://pensionersite.drivehq.com/ (I mistakenly has a username with
a "." in it so mine was first.last.drivehq.com but that fails!)

Advice would be appreciated - or a pointer towards a more suitable
newsgroup.

There may be some deals (depends on how much gets downloaded each month)
from UK hosting services or some in N America (ads on Ebay may be worth
a check). Really need to know a budget and traffic to be able to get
an idea of what you need/can afford. Good luck.

--
Get 1 GB file storage for free : http://tinyurl.com/g5sbb

Can use any FTP client, or use (provided, Windows XP) utility
to back-up specific PC directories to remote storage by using
a schedule, or to always 'keep in sync' with your PC storage!
Old December 12th 06, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Retired" wrote in message
I know this question is inviting rude remarks from a minority of readers,
but it stems from my acquisition of broadband.
I've now moved my own web site to my ISP and can access it over my new
broadband link. But I also ran a web site for my pensioner's group with my
previous ISP, and this can only be accessed via their dial up service.
When I had to use dial-up this didn't matter, but its a waste now (and so
slow!). And as I want to hand the site over to my successor, (who also has
broadband), I don't want it on my own site. So how do I get some web space
that I can access via my broadband link? We are prepared to pay for it if
its not to pricey.
Advice would be appreciated - or a pointer towards a more suitable
newsgroup.

Retired

There are loads of hosts around but the problem is finding a reliable one
that won't rip you off. The best budget one I have found is www.34sp.com

Old December 12th 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LSR

Retired wrote:
So how do I get some web space that I can access via my broadband
link?

I've been very happy with the web-presence package from
http://www.penguin-uk.com/ - 50MB space, 1GB a month bandwidth and CGI
scripts for 9.99 a year.
Their support has been excellent too.

--
LSR

Old December 12th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"Retired" wrote in message
:I know this question is inviting rude remarks from a minority of readers,
: but it stems from my acquisition of broadband.
: I've now moved my own web site to my ISP and can access it over my new
: broadband link. But I also ran a web site for my pensioner's group with my
: previous ISP, and this can only be accessed via their dial up service.
When
: I had to use dial-up this didn't matter, but its a waste now (and so
slow!).
: And as I want to hand the site over to my successor, (who also has
: broadband), I don't want it on my own site. So how do I get some web space
: that I can access via my broadband link? We are prepared to pay for it if
: its not to pricey.
: Advice would be appreciated - or a pointer towards a more suitable
: newsgroup.
:
: Retired
: