whats going on ??

Old December 12th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ForeverArsenal

Default whats going on ??

Hi
Anyone come across this before.

Last week I help a elderly couple apply for broadband
with virgin net new bundle three at 10 per month with free
phone calls included.

Line enabled yesterday (Mon) so went over today to get things
connected.
Start package was
2 line filters
speedtouch usb 330 modem
installation disc.

Could not get modem to synch at exchange 1.5 miles away,
power light on,adsl light blinking for ages (45mins) but would
not connect.
After much messing around remove filters from phone point for
computer and phone in other room,plugged computer direct into
phone point and connected to internet within a minute.

Tried phone in other room by making a call and alls well,spent 15 mins
browsing/tested download speed/email,all working fine.
Disconnected from internet several times and reconnected with no probs
at all,nothing special about phone plug points,like mine all very old,
no BT master socket type thing just a connection block inside door
sort used on electrical connections (chocolate block type thing)

Any reasons this is working with no adsl filters installed please,
beats me,as it normally the first they would tell you check if
having problems.
--
Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.

Old December 12th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maneate

"ForeverArsenal" wrote in message
[...]

Probably a silly question, but was the Phone Line (IE Voice Calls) clear
without the filter?

I know it is possible (with the right sockets) to plug straight into the
line without an ADSL filter and get the ADSL working, and to use the phone
line, but getting interferance on the voice side.

I am wondering if it is possible that the line was converted from hardwired
to PSTN illicitly (as in not by BT) and the wiring is a bit muddled, and
causing problems.

Old December 12th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Wood

Any reasons this is working with no adsl filters installed please,
beats me,as it normally the first they would tell you check if
having problems.

The filter separates the ADSL RF frequencies from the telephone. Some
telephones are more immune to RF on the line than others, and so will
happily ignore an ADSL signal.

(Other phones will show it up as noise on the line.)

The filter also can help to keep 'switching noise' out of the ADSL
signal. You say you tested the phone and didn't have any problems, but
you might find that if the hook switched is bounced in a particular way
then there could be a brief disconnection.

You may also find that an incoming ringing signal will drop the ADSL -
especially if the attached phone has a mechanical bell. The ringer
circuits often generate a certain amount of RF noise.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old December 12th 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ForeverArsenal

"Maneate" wrote in message

Probably a silly question, but was the Phone Line (IE Voice Calls) clear
without the filter?

I know it is possible (with the right sockets) to plug straight into the
line without an ADSL filter and get the ADSL working, and to use the phone
line, but getting interferance on the voice side.

I am wondering if it is possible that the line was converted from
hardwired to PSTN illicitly (as in not by BT) and the wiring is a bit
muddled, and causing problems.

Hi Maneate.
Thanks for the reply

As stated,really old type BT sockets.
Nothing done to line apart from dacs being removed
prior to broadband being enabled

Phone was clear on call,listened very hard for background noise.
Old phone,type with base station so you can move around,but
nothing like the modern type with 100+walkabout.
Barry

Old December 12th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ForeverArsenal

"Dan Wood" wrote in message

Any reasons this is working with no adsl filters installed please,
beats me,as it normally the first they would tell you check if
having problems.

Hi Dan
Thyanks for your time.

The filter separates the ADSL RF frequencies from the telephone. Some
telephones are more immune to RF on the line than others, and so will
happily ignore an ADSL signal.

*This oldish phone thet have appears to be one of them :-)

You may also find that an incoming ringing signal will drop the ADSL -
especially if the attached phone has a mechanical bell. The ringer
circuits often generate a certain amount of RF noise.

*Will have to wait and see on that one,

*I still don't under stand why the B/B
modem would not connect with filter in line,also managed without
trouble or filter to connect to net on Virgin dial-up.
Thanks again
--
Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.

Old December 12th 06, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

"ForeverArsenal" wrote:
"Dan Wood" wrote in message

Any reasons this is working with no adsl filters installed please,
beats me,as it normally the first they would tell you check if
having problems.

Hi Dan
Thyanks for your time.

The filter separates the ADSL RF frequencies from the telephone. Some
telephones are more immune to RF on the line than others, and so will
happily ignore an ADSL signal.

*This oldish phone thet have appears to be one of them :-)

You may also find that an incoming ringing signal will drop the ADSL -
especially if the attached phone has a mechanical bell. The ringer
circuits often generate a certain amount of RF noise.

*Will have to wait and see on that one,

*I still don't under stand why the B/B
modem would not connect with filter in line,also managed without
trouble or filter to connect to net on Virgin dial-up.

Just a thought... You did use the right socket (i.e. the unfiltered RJ11
one) on the microfilter? With the lead (RJ-11 both ends) that would
have come with the modem... presumably when you plugged in the
ADSL modem without the filter you had to use the original dial-up
modem wire (with an RJ11 on one end and a BT plug on the other end)?

dom.

Old December 13th 06, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ForeverArsenal

"ForeverArsenal" wrote:
*I still don't under stand why the B/B
modem would not connect with filter in line,also managed without
trouble or filter to connect to net on Virgin dial-up.

"Dominic" wrote in message
news
Just a thought... You did use the right socket (i.e. the unfiltered RJ11
one) on the microfilter? With the lead (RJ-11 both ends) that would
have come with the modem... presumably when you plugged in the
ADSL modem without the filter you had to use the original dial-up
modem wire (with an RJ11 on one end and a BT plug on the other end)?

dom.

Hi Dom
yes mate ,when I first put it all together had RG-11 in one side and phone
in other socket on
filter,had to move his computer desk a bit because RJ-11 bit on short side
to reach modem.

After trying all to connect I then went back to RJ-11 to phone plug on other
end and was the only way
I could connect to exchange,then changed from BB to dial up account and that
connected
ok,so left it at RJ-11 to bt phone plug lead and all worked well on BB.

Have been back to check and alls well so far and he's not been off computer
since connection.
Going to see how it goes with connection////disconnections and keep fingers
crossed :-)
Thanks for suggestion.

Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.

Old December 13th 06, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Retired

One possibility is that you are getting signal reflections due to the unused
portion of the installed line.
Put simply, if you have a socket fed from the source (ie BT), and then a
second socket fed from the first socket, when you use the first socket the
signal also continues down the line to the second, and then can bounce back,
causing out of phase reflections at the socket in use.
The best bet is to totally split the system at the master socket, with the
broadband side of the filter fed directly to the modem, and all the house
telephone wiring fed from the filtered side. Thus the broadband signal can't
go into the house phone cabling and reflect back causing problems. I had
this problem due to the convoluted telephone wiring around our house, and
separating the modem feed and telephones at the master socket cured the
problem

Retired