Virtual numbers in general

Old December 12th 06, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bob_Cat

Default Virtual numbers in general

Hello,

I've been trying to get myself a virtual number with a provider in
Greece, and I notice that many countries/providers are very fussy about
who owns a phone number. You often have to declare residence in order
to get a number. I have a VoIPBuster (Betamax) account and that
required me to declare I was in the UK to get my 07 virtual number.

Is anyone aware of any legalities or requirements in regards of this?

Is anyone aware of anyone in Greece providing callin apart from
i-call.gr?

Bob

Old December 12th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Bob_Cat" wrote in message
ups.com
Hello,

I've been trying to get myself a virtual number with a
provider in Greece, and I notice that many
countries/providers are very fussy about who owns a phone
number. You often have to declare residence in order to
get a number. I have a VoIPBuster (Betamax) account and
that required me to declare I was in the UK to get my 07
virtual number.

Is anyone aware of any legalities or requirements in
regards of this?

Is anyone aware of anyone in Greece providing callin
apart from i-call.gr?

Do you perhaps know anyone there..? It's sometimes possible to get a
number by giving (with their permission, of course) a friend's address.

Ivor

Old December 13th 06, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"Bob_Cat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I've been trying to get myself a virtual number with a provider in
Greece, and I notice that many countries/providers are very fussy about
who owns a phone number. You often have to declare residence in order
to get a number. I have a VoIPBuster (Betamax) account and that
required me to declare I was in the UK to get my 07 virtual number.

Is anyone aware of any legalities or requirements in regards of this?

Is anyone aware of anyone in Greece providing callin apart from
i-call.gr?

Legailites vary according to country, but self preservation of the telecoms
industry
is probably the biggest force, some countries phone systems are still
government owned.
Local VOIP numbers been no international call charges, where profit margins
are very high.

There is I think very reasonable reasons for numbers being registered, with
potential for criminal acts
a VOIP number is very diificult to trace. I know thyere were worries in the
UK when pay as you go mobiles
could be bought without registering.

We are quite lucky in the UK, VOIP is pretty much unrestricted, where as
places like South Africa VOIP
bandwidth is often shaped to make it unusable and some ARAB countries where
its is banned, at least
for general consumers

Old December 13th 06, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

www.evoice.gr. They'll give you a number when you sign up and you don't
have to pay a monthly fee for it. Oh and their rates are better too.

The only catch is that you can only top up with a credit card over the
phone.

Old December 13th 06, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

RH wrote:
We are quite lucky in the UK, VOIP is pretty much unrestricted,

Unless you want an Isle of Man number, where the incumbent telco is
being very restrictive.

Tim
Old December 13th 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-12-13, Tim wrote:

RH wrote:
We are quite lucky in the UK, VOIP is pretty much unrestricted,

Unless you want an Isle of Man number, where the incumbent telco is
being very restrictive.

Which is some confirmation that the UK has a more accomodating VoIP
regime than other places.

Brian.