SLow 123-reg.co.uk Email

Old December 12th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R.Daneel Olivaw

Default SLow 123-reg.co.uk Email

I have 3 domains hosted at 123-reg.co.uk and some POP3 Emails associated
with them. I have never had any problems at all till now. I realised today
that emails sent to these pop3 accounts were taking hours to arrive. I did
some tests to confirm this and an email sent from a GMail account took 4
hours to arrive. I emailed 123 but decided to ring them as well on their
(50p a minute) help line.

The support chap told me it was an ongoing problem of about two weeks
duration and they were not sure what the problem was or when it would be
fixed. I asked why the status page said there was no problem and he said
"That is something we have been looking into"

I hope it gets fixed as moving all my domains and emails would be a pain!

Old December 12th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bypass

R.Daneel Olivaw wrote:
I have 3 domains hosted at 123-reg.co.uk and some POP3 Emails associated
with them. I have never had any problems at all till now. I realised today
that emails sent to these pop3 accounts were taking hours to arrive. I did
some tests to confirm this and an email sent from a GMail account took 4
hours to arrive. I emailed 123 but decided to ring them as well on their
(50p a minute) help line.

The support chap told me it was an ongoing problem of about two weeks
duration and they were not sure what the problem was or when it would be
fixed. I asked why the status page said there was no problem and he said
"That is something we have been looking into"

I hope it gets fixed as moving all my domains and emails would be a pain!

I've noticed huge problems with mail forwarding through 123-reg.
Old December 12th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

"Bypass" wrote in message
om...
R.Daneel Olivaw wrote:
I have 3 domains hosted at 123-reg.co.uk and some POP3 Emails associated
with them. I have never had any problems at all till now. I realised
today that emails sent to these pop3 accounts were taking hours to
arrive. I did some tests to confirm this and an email sent from a GMail
account took 4 hours to arrive. I emailed 123 but decided to ring them as
well on their (50p a minute) help line.

The support chap told me it was an ongoing problem of about two weeks
duration and they were not sure what the problem was or when it would be
fixed. I asked why the status page said there was no problem and he said
"That is something we have been looking into"

I hope it gets fixed as moving all my domains and emails would be a pain!

I've noticed huge problems with mail forwarding through 123-reg.

I've also had problems of emails from various senders being told that my
123-Reg address has permanent fatal errors.

Not been the same since Pipex took over!!

Paul

Old December 12th 06, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote in message
I have 3 domains hosted at 123-reg.co.uk and some POP3 Emails associated
with them. I have never had any problems at all till now. I realised today
that emails sent to these pop3 accounts were taking hours to arrive. I did
some tests to confirm this and an email sent from a GMail account took 4
hours to arrive. I emailed 123 but decided to ring them as well on their
(50p a minute) help line.

The support chap told me it was an ongoing problem of about two weeks
duration and they were not sure what the problem was or when it would be
fixed. I asked why the status page said there was no problem and he said
"That is something we have been looking into"

I hope it gets fixed as moving all my domains and emails would be a pain!

I use my 123 domain to forward email to another POP3 box. After I emailed
them, I received a reply stating their email servers had been under attack
from SPAM and they had implemented a new SPAM deleting process.

My emails through 123 are still slow and yes it would be a pain moving

Clive

Old December 13th 06, 06:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 12 Dec 2006, "Clive" wrote:

I use my 123 domain to forward email to another POP3 box. After I emailed
them, I received a reply stating their email servers had been under attack
from SPAM and they had implemented a new SPAM deleting process.

My emails through 123 are still slow and yes it would be a pain moving

Depends a bit on what you get from 123-reg (in the way of webspace/hosting
and so forth) but you could probably find cheap hosting for one ($9.95) or
many ($29.95) domain(s) on Ebay (annual fees in US$, so won't break the
bank) and use POP mail on those servers (as forwarding puts a further
step in the chain for problems to occur, and grabbing mail by POP
means you know the server is running, able to accept your mail).

Then when you know the domain is "live" on that remote server, you would
only need to change the DNS entries within the 123-reg panel, perhaps mid-
or late evening, and odds are most who send to you would be using the new
host as the destination for mail the next day (or make the switch on a
Friday evening, for mail from Monday to go to the alternative host).

If you are seeing long delays or risk losing mail then making the switch
might not be such a pain - you'll never be able to compare without trying
an alternative service :-) I'm using Hostroute (both UK and US servers)
for my mail, and domains of main clients. As secondary mail servers I use
a number of cheaper reseller hosting deals, so my clients would not get a
delay in their incoming mail - even if they did spot their website was
'missing' for a spell...

But even if one pays hundreds of pounds/dollars a year, there could be some
problem with the data centre, or connections to it, as happened a week ago
(fibre in Pennsylvania was cut), and even though the outage was under 12
hours, if it had been something worse, it could have been days... I was
ready to copy websites to other servers and temporarily stop web pages
the morning, and I didn't need to make DNS changes in the end.

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 250) Let's beat Australia :-
Old December 13th 06, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

Clive wrote on Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:09:33 GMT:

[...]

I'm also noticing very slow forwarding (sometimes up to around 4 hours!) and
I only use 123-reg for domains and email forwarding.

I've seen people recommend 1and1, can anyone tell me how quick is their
email forwarding and how reliable are they?

Dan

Old December 13th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Clive wrote:
[...]

I've been having exactly the same problem and have emailed support at
123-reg -- presumably if enough people complain they might do something
about it.

Ian
Old December 13th 06, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R.Daneel Olivaw

"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
Clive wrote:
[...]

I have emailed them twice and so far (2 days) got no reply. The support page
still says there are no know issues!

Old December 13th 06, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote in message
I have emailed them twice and so far (2 days) got no reply. The support
page still says there are no know issues!

I'm having the same problems. I've emailed them but aren't hopeful of a
reply, I'm still waiting for a reply to a query I sent 2 months ago.

Old December 13th 06, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi Guys

The problems with email with 123-reg are that they are blocking all
email that doesnt come from a Smarthost email server, so basically
practically everything now gets bounced back to senders. I wouldn't be
surprised if someone has sued them as some people have lost thousands
of pounds in lost orders etc.

The only recourse at the moment is to transfer out the dns records to
another host as I have done.

I can hardly believe that a company would take such a descision to
destroy their customers email systems rather than destroy the spammers,
but thats UK customer service for you. Obviously I will never order any
more hosting from them again or their parent company Pipex who may be
the real evil doers in this debacle. Well, one easy way to completley
kill off your own business model, make it impossible for your users to
use it!!!

Regards
Danep