Broadband & microfilters

Old December 13th 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
KK

Default Broadband & microfilters

I'm thinking of moving to broadband. On my telephone line I have 5 sockets,
3 are for telephones, one for my pc dial-up, one for my sky digibox.

How many microfilters will I need ?

Thanks

KK

Old December 13th 06, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Cain

"KK" wrote in message
I'm thinking of moving to broadband. On my telephone line I have 5
sockets, 3 are for telephones, one for my pc dial-up, one for my sky
digibox.

How many microfilters will I need ?

4. You only need them for the analogue equipment - phones and dial-up.
Depending on the geometry you may get away with less if you can double-up
(with splitter) on a filtered analogue output.

Old December 13th 06, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

KK wrote:
I'm thinking of moving to broadband. On my telephone line I have 5 sockets,
3 are for telephones, one for my pc dial-up, one for my sky digibox.

How many microfilters will I need ?

Perhaps none, if a master filter/splitter is fitted to your master
socket.

Have a read of this site:-

http://www.readman.dsl.pipex.com/oth...ecatwiring.htm

Old December 13th 06, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I'm thinking of moving to broadband. On my telephone line I have 5
sockets, 3 are for telephones, one for my pc dial-up, one for my sky
digibox.
How many microfilters will I need ?

Each item of analogue equipment needs to be filtered. This can either by by
a separtae filter for each one or by arranging for all the wiring to
analogue devices by using a a filtered faceplate if you have a modern BT
NTE5 master socket. Take a look here for more details
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

Peter Crosland

Old December 13th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

Roger wrote on Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:10:38 -0000:

"KK" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of moving to broadband. On my telephone line I have 5
sockets, 3 are for telephones, one for my pc dial-up, one for my sky
digibox.

How many microfilters will I need ?

4. You only need them for the analogue equipment - phones and dial-up.
Depending on the geometry you may get away with less if you can double-up
(with splitter) on a filtered analogue output.

The Sky digibox connection is an analogue item too - so that's 5 then (or
anywhere from zero to five depending on how you combine items or filter at
the master socket).

Dan

Old December 13th 06, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:10:38 UTC, "Roger Cain"
wrote:

"KK" wrote in message
I'm thinking of moving to broadband. On my telephone line I have 5
sockets, 3 are for telephones, one for my pc dial-up, one for my sky
digibox.

How many microfilters will I need ?

4. You only need them for the analogue equipment - phones and dial-up.
Depending on the geometry you may get away with less if you can double-up
(with splitter) on a filtered analogue output.

WRONG! Just because it's a 'digibox' doesn't mean that the telephone
interface isn't analogue.

The correct answer is five. Particularly if the fifth is a Sky
digibox....!

http://www.voipinside.net
Old December 13th 06, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:21:58 UTC, "KK"
wrote:

OK, somewhere between zero & four then ?

No....one and five. One if you use the microfilter faceplate stuff. Five
if you put one on each device individually. Something in between if you
hang more than one device off each filter.

http://www.voipinside.net
Old December 13th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 13 Dec 2006, "Spack" wrote:

The Sky digibox connection is an analogue item too - so that's 5 then (or
anywhere from zero to five depending on how you combine items or filter at
the master socket).

I'd thought '4' as the user will surely unplug the analogue modem (if only
to guard against any premium-rate dial-up scams). I have recently had to
buy a 56k modem (horror!) to go with a PC from a charity for someone who
will not be wanting ADSL. Elsewhere, I saw that with this new 21CN, BT
expects 28k to be the most that can be used, so in the future those US
Robotics 28.8 k will be as good as the 56k faxmodem, if not better!!

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 248) Let's beat Australia :-
Old December 13th 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 13 Dec 2006, "Peter Crosland" wrote:

This can either by by a separate filter for each one or by arranging
for all the wiring to analogue devices by using a a filtered faceplate

or, as Bob indicated, by some other arrangement where splitters can allow
more than one item to share a filter. At the master socket, I have four
phone devices (answerphone, 2 wired phones, 1 DECT phone) plus a caller
display, while at an extension on another floor, I have the ADSL modem/
router and a further 3 phones (2 are Easicom hands-free units with the
caller display in the personal organiser, plus a cheap Telcom phone).

Only 2 filters in use.