BT voyager 2091 / Belkin wireless adaptor problem

Old December 13th 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conrad

Default BT voyager 2091 / Belkin wireless adaptor problem

Hello

I have set up a wired connection on a BT Voyager 2091 on a friend's main PC
and it works fine.
She has another PC running Windows ME that I have attached a Belkin USB
wireless adaptor.
It connects to the BT 2091 OK but then won't access any Web pages. The
router accepts the MAC address of the Belkin and there
does not appear to be any other setting that is blocking access.

OK, I know ME is not most people's favourite OS and maybe we should be
trying a BT adaptor but I was using my Belkin to see if the
set-up was feasible. However as the Belkin is recognised by the BT 2091 I
tend to think the problem lies in the router.

If anyone has any experience of this issue or can offer some advice I'd be
grateful.

Thanks

Conrad

Old December 13th 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil B

"Conrad" wrote in message
[...]

Is the network enabled?
can you startruncmd and then ping the management port of the router?
If it times out then maybe you are having firewall problems?
See the thread 'trouble with wireless broadband' Peter starting 11 Dec 06
at 21.59.
Phil

Old December 13th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Conrad
writes
Hello

I have set up a wired connection on a BT Voyager 2091 on a friend's main PC
and it works fine.
She has another PC running Windows ME that I have attached a Belkin USB
wireless adaptor.
It connects to the BT 2091 OK but then won't access any Web pages. The
router accepts the MAC address of the Belkin and there
does not appear to be any other setting that is blocking access.

OK, I know ME is not most people's favourite OS and maybe we should be
trying a BT adaptor but I was using my Belkin to see if the
set-up was feasible. However as the Belkin is recognised by the BT 2091 I
tend to think the problem lies in the router.

If anyone has any experience of this issue or can offer some advice I'd be
grateful.

Is there a sticker with a WEP key on the base of the router?

If so, then enter that into the Wireless connection on the 2nd PC.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old December 13th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Conrad" wrote in message
Hello

I have set up a wired connection on a BT Voyager 2091 on a friend's main
PC and it works fine.
She has another PC running Windows ME that I have attached a Belkin USB
wireless adaptor.
It connects to the BT 2091 OK but then won't access any Web pages.

Is it just web pages?

Try a traceroute to an IP address on the internet and see if it goes there.
If it does then its possibly a DNS problem and you might have to set name
servers in your network settings.

--

Gordon Hudson || Hostroute.com Ltd
e-mail:ghudson [at] hostroute.net

Old December 17th 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conrad

Hi

Sorry for the late response.
I have entered the WEP data OK and also tried it with the security disabled.
Still no joy, I can't access Web pages (or e-mail).
I'd already tried setting name servers (admittedly without testing
traceroute) in case it was a DNS issue with no success.
I'll probably try a wired connection to the router when I can get a long
enough CAT cable - I don't want to have to move the whole PC
around but I still reckon it's an issue with the router.

Thanks for the advice.

Conrad

Old December 18th 06, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Conrad" wrote in message
Hi

Sorry for the late response.
I have entered the WEP data OK and also tried it with the security
disabled.
Still no joy, I can't access Web pages (or e-mail).
I'd already tried setting name servers (admittedly without testing
traceroute) in case it was a DNS issue with no success.
I'll probably try a wired connection to the router when I can get a long
enough CAT cable - I don't want to have to move the whole PC
around but I still reckon it's an issue with the router.

Can you ping the router's IP address from the PC? If not, you need to fix
the wireless before worrying about web pages

-- Graham J