Disconnected

Old December 13th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paddy

Default Disconnected

Took over a month to get online because BT couldn't convince BTwholesale
that our island was made capable of adsl at 8mb at the end of October after
a 16 month wait.. Now online with Virgin as BT wouldn't accept my order and
it's working ok

Neighbour stuck it out with an order for BT broadband, which after a few
rejections was activated a week ago and seemed fine. Today they have
cancelled his order as they say he is on a fibre optic cable. They say that
they can only go on the information given to them and BT wholesale say it is
impossible for it to work even though it did. But they have then given him
another date for it to be activated.

Just a bit worried in case Bt wholesale inform virgin that mine won't work
as well and they cut me off.

Mick

Old December 13th 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maneate

"Paddy" [email protected] wrote in message
Took over a month to get online because BT couldn't convince BTwholesale
that our island was made capable of adsl at 8mb at the end of October
after a 16 month wait.. Now online with Virgin as BT wouldn't accept my
order and it's working ok

Neighbour stuck it out with an order for BT broadband, which after a few
rejections was activated a week ago and seemed fine. Today they have
cancelled his order as they say he is on a fibre optic cable. They say
that they can only go on the information given to them and BT wholesale
say it is impossible for it to work even though it did. But they have then
given him another date for it to be activated.

Just a bit worried in case Bt wholesale inform virgin that mine won't work
as well and they cut me off.

Mick

ADSL is not available over TPON. Orders for ADSL over TPON *should* be
rejected before the end of the processing stage (they are with BT Business
Broadband) and not after. If the Broadband was activated and working for
the end user, they obviously were not be supplied by TPON.

I suspect that there has been a case of human error somewhere along the
line, and the wrong information has been exchanged.

If it were me, I would go back to my ISP and ask for a full explanation,
citing the bit above.

Old December 13th 06, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paddy

"Maneate" wrote in message

[...]

This has been done numerous times with BT broadband and it took phone calls
to, and assistance from BT manager for Scotland (Brendan Dick), Ian Shanks
BT manager for Scottish affairs and the communications manager for the
Highlands & Islands Enterprise to get BT wholesale to activate my line. We
thought that it had been cracked when we came online and at last BT
broadband & wholesale realised that the many tens of thousands of pounds BT
had just invested in upgrading & modifying the island link meant that it was
working.
Don't really like to bother the managers again as they must be mighty sick
of us complaining.

Just a thought but would my neighbour be able to just sign up with Virgin as
BT have cancelled his order. Might make BT get their finger out.

Be interesting to see what Friday brings as the 3rd islander to go broadband
is due to be activated by BT on that day.

Mick

Old December 13th 06, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Maneate" wrote in message

[...]

Presumably if you keep complaining they will fix the "system"

-- Graham J

Old December 13th 06, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maneate

[...]

From what I recall, if you have a concentrator (small exchange) or DSLAM on
the Island, the link between the mainland and the conc/DSLAM can be fibre,
radio or copper with no problems at all. It is only the link between the
conc and the end user (the local loop) that does not support ADSL.

As said previously, if the ADSL Was working, it cannot be TPON in the local
loop, unless it was changed out post activation of the ADSL, in which case I
would have expected yours to die as well.

I suspect someone has got the message wrong and there are other reasons
causing the issue - possibly CSS record errors or some other human error.

Old December 13th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

"Paddy" [email protected] wrote in message
Took over a month to get online because BT couldn't convince BTwholesale
that our island was made capable of adsl at 8mb at the end of October
after a 16 month wait.. Now online with Virgin as BT wouldn't accept my
order and it's working ok

Neighbour stuck it out with an order for BT broadband, which after a few
rejections was activated a week ago and seemed fine. Today they have
cancelled his order as they say he is on a fibre optic cable. They say
that they can only go on the information given to them and BT wholesale
say it is impossible for it to work even though it did. But they have then
given him another date for it to be activated.

Just a bit worried in case Bt wholesale inform virgin that mine won't work
as well and they cut me off.

Mick

So why are you telling us?
Unless you go advertising like you have in here, then no one will know.