Cheapest ATA

Old December 14th 06, 01:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Flobby

Default Cheapest ATA

Well, I just got myself one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VOIP-PSTN-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is the cheapest new unlocked ATA I've seen. Anybody come across one
before? It's a Pluscom VPA-11, and I can't find jack about it anywhere.
The only bad thing is that the PSTN port is a fail over, but there's a shed
load of other configuration items such as dial plans etc. It will store
more than 1 service provider and more than 1 account per service provider,
but you can only use 1 combination at any time. It does make it easier to
switch over to another service though, without searching for your settings.
Took me ages to get it going via the web interface, then I tried the PC
configure application that came with it, and suddenly it was registering no
problem. All in all, seems a bit of a bargain so far...

Old December 14th 06, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Mr Flobby" wrote in message

Well, I just got myself one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VOIP-PSTN-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is the cheapest new unlocked ATA I've seen. Anybody
come across one before? It's a Pluscom VPA-11, and I
can't find jack about it anywhere. The only bad thing is
that the PSTN port is a fail over,

What's bad about the PSTN port being a failover..?

Ivor

Old December 14th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Flobby

"Mr Flobby" wrote in message

Well, I just got myself one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VOIP-PSTN-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is the cheapest new unlocked ATA I've seen. Anybody
come across one before? It's a Pluscom VPA-11, and I
can't find jack about it anywhere. The only bad thing is
that the PSTN port is a fail over,

What's bad about the PSTN port being a failover..?

Ivor

Well, IMO, if you need a device to connect to the PSTN then you intend, at
some point, to use the PSTN. It's much more flexible if there's a way to
use the PSTN via a dial sequence. Grandstream realised this with the 486
rev.1 vs 486 rev.2 model. In my case, call rates dictate that weekend calls
are free via PSTN, now the unit has to be switched off to enable this (one
main phone).

Stuart

Old December 14th 06, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Mr Flobby" wrote in message

[snip]

Well, IMO, if you need a device to connect to the PSTN
then you intend, at some point, to use the PSTN. It's
much more flexible if there's a way to use the PSTN via a
dial sequence. Grandstream realised this with the 486
rev.1 vs 486 rev.2 model. In my case, call rates dictate
that weekend calls are free via PSTN, now the unit has to
be switched off to enable this (one main phone).

Ah, I see. Can't you select the port in the dial plan..? Of course you
could use 2 phones ;-)

Ivor

Old December 14th 06, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Flobby

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Mr Flobby" wrote in message

[snip]

Well, IMO, if you need a device to connect to the PSTN
then you intend, at some point, to use the PSTN. It's
much more flexible if there's a way to use the PSTN via a
dial sequence. Grandstream realised this with the 486
rev.1 vs 486 rev.2 model. In my case, call rates dictate
that weekend calls are free via PSTN, now the unit has to
be switched off to enable this (one main phone).

Ah, I see. Can't you select the port in the dial plan..? Of course you
could use 2 phones ;-)

Now, thats a good question. It's a present for my sister, so once she
unwraps it I'll be able to play around with the settings and see. I just
switched it on, and made a call to check it out.

Old December 14th 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-12-14, Mr Flobby wrote:

Well, IMO, if you need a device to connect to the PSTN then you intend, at
some point, to use the PSTN. It's much more flexible if there's a way to
use the PSTN via a dial sequence. Grandstream realised this with the 486
rev.1 vs 486 rev.2 model. In my case, call rates dictate that weekend calls
are free via PSTN, now the unit has to be switched off to enable this (one
main phone).

The seller's Ebay specification describes it as having an FXO port and
giving two phones lines. So it is strange having to switch it off to get
PSTN calls. Then again, you've only just got it and may not have
explored all its capabilities.

Brian.
Old December 14th 06, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-12-14, Mr Flobby wrote:

Well, I just got myself one of these

[Lengthy URL snipped]

This is the cheapest new unlocked ATA I've seen. Anybody come across one
before? It's a Pluscom VPA-11, and I can't find jack about it anywhere.
The only bad thing is that the PSTN port is a fail over, but there's a shed
load of other configuration items such as dial plans etc. It will store
more than 1 service provider and more than 1 account per service provider,
but you can only use 1 combination at any time. It does make it easier to
switch over to another service though, without searching for your settings.
Took me ages to get it going via the web interface, then I tried the PC
configure application that came with it, and suddenly it was registering no
problem. All in all, seems a bit of a bargain so far...

Other than the link you gave, there is practically nothing about this
device on Ebay or elsewhere. The functionality it has appears similar to
the Linksys/Sipura 3102 at about a third the cost. If it works reliably
you have yourself a bargain.

Could this be the manufacturer of the ATA: http://www.polypower.com.tw?

Does the unit come with a manual?

Brian.
Old December 14th 06, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Flobby

On 2006-12-14, Mr Flobby wrote:

[...]

Ah, good find Brian, that does look strikingly similar, if only they showed
the back panel. The URL supplied is http://pluscom.cn which has sod all on
it. The software on the ATA is dated Feb 2006 and it's V1.0. I hope there
isn't any bugs, due to the apparent lack of mfr support. And yes, there is
a manual supplied, it's the full retail boxed unit.

Old December 14th 06, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-12-14, Mr Flobby wrote:

Ah, good find Brian, that does look strikingly similar, if only they showed
the back panel. The URL supplied is http://pluscom.cn which has sod all on
it. The software on the ATA is dated Feb 2006 and it's V1.0. I hope there
isn't any bugs, due to the apparent lack of mfr support. And yes, there is
a manual supplied, it's the full retail boxed unit.

This is the season for granting wishes:

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11152...teway_ATA.html

A bug in the firmware, especially if it affects security, would be a
concern. Polypower look to be a better bet than the dubious Pluscom for
directing queries to. The Ebay dealer must also have some stake in
keeping customers happy and should know how a buyer can obtain support.

Anyway, an interesting ATA. Would you consider telling us more about it
when you get the time?

Brian.
Old December 14th 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Flobby

On 2006-12-14, Mr Flobby wrote:

[...]

Sure, we'll see how bored I am tomorrow, maybe I can set it up again and
take some pics. You can have a copy of the manual if you want, it's in PDF
format.