Cheapest place to buy Fritzbox 7140 + questions

Old December 14th 06, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default Cheapest place to buy Fritzbox 7140 + questions

1. There are quite a few sites selling 'Fritzbox Fon WLAN' but when
you look more closely it isn't the 7140. The 7140 has 4 LAN
connections amd 2 Analogue VOIP.
I am looking for the best price. Any suggestions?

2. Am I correct in thinking that this will operate as a stand alone
router, thus allowing connection to a cable modem?

3. Does the 7140 allow an incoming call to dial out via a voip
connection as does the 7050 model?
Also will this feature work voip to voip?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old December 15th 06, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Brian A" wrote in message

1. There are quite a few sites selling 'Fritzbox Fon
WLAN' but when you look more closely it isn't the 7140.

Has anyone said it was..?

The 7140 has 4 LAN connections amd 2 Analogue VOIP.
I am looking for the best price. Any suggestions?

If I were you I'd hold on a while and wait for the 7170 (just out in
Germany) to become available in the UK. As well as the 4 LAN ports it has
three phone ports.

2. Am I correct in thinking that this will operate as a
stand alone router, thus allowing connection to a cable
modem?

Yes, it has a built in ADSL modem but this can be disabled.

3. Does the 7140 allow an incoming call to dial out via a
voip connection as does the 7050 model?
Also will this feature work voip to voip?

I believe so, my original Fritz!Box Fon (non wireless) has the feature but
I've never had the need to try it.

As I said, unless you're desperate for time, wait for the 7170.

Ivor

Old December 15th 06, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 01:56:51 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Brian A" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Ivor. All noted. I think that I will wait as you advise.
I have seen some negative comments on the 7140.
One poster said he was onto his second one and advised not to buy
unless they sort out the firmware. Another said that there was
excessive nise on PSTN.
I have looked at Draytek but they are very expensive.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old December 15th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stu

Brian A wrote:
1. There are quite a few sites selling 'Fritzbox Fon WLAN' but when
you look more closely it isn't the 7140. The 7140 has 4 LAN
connections amd 2 Analogue VOIP.
I am looking for the best price. Any suggestions?

I bought mine here in NL for EUR 159,10 from zercom.nl. It's now reduced
to EUR 152,60. I'm sure you'll get ripped off for a higher price living
on the island ;-)

2. Am I correct in thinking that this will operate as a stand alone
router, thus allowing connection to a cable modem?

No problem. Can configure it to accept a LAN connection on port 1.

3. Does the 7140 allow an incoming call to dial out via a voip
connection as does the 7050 model?

Yep. I set mine up to accept a connection on POTS. Then dials out on VoIP.

Also will this feature work voip to voip?

Yep, you can select whichever connection you want to receive incoming
calls. You then enter a PIN, press 0 to connect to your outgoing VoIP
line and then dial. Easy!

Stu
Old December 15th 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Herman" wrote in message
"Stu" wrote in message
Brian A wrote:
1. There are quite a few sites selling 'Fritzbox Fon WLAN' but when
you look more closely it isn't the 7140. The 7140 has 4 LAN
connections amd 2 Analogue VOIP.
I am looking for the best price. Any suggestions?

I bought mine here in NL for EUR 159,10 from zercom.nl. It's now reduced
to EUR 152,60. I'm sure you'll get ripped off for a higher price living
on the island ;-)

Be careful, this is annex B, and not suitable for the UK, I think. This
annex system is a good way to rip the islanders off!

Apologies should have looked a bit further - it also has the Annex A
version, which is cheaper than Annex B

Old December 16th 06, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Herman" wrote in
message
"Herman" wrote in
message ...
"Stu" wrote in message
Brian A wrote:
1. There are quite a few sites selling 'Fritzbox
Fon WLAN' but when you look more closely it isn't
the 7140. The 7140 has 4 LAN connections amd 2
Analogue VOIP. I am looking for the best price. Any suggestions?

I bought mine here in NL for EUR 159,10 from
zercom.nl. It's now reduced to EUR 152,60. I'm sure
you'll get ripped off for a higher price living on
the island ;-)

Be careful, this is annex B, and not suitable for the
UK, I think. This annex system is a good way to rip
the islanders off!

Apologies should have looked a bit further - it also has
the Annex A version, which is cheaper than Annex B

I'll wait for the Annex A version of the 7170. 3 phone ports amongst other
things.

Ivor

Old December 16th 06, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:07:53 +0100, Stu wrote:

Brian A wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all your comments.
1. Am I to assume that we are 'Annex A' ?
2. I took a look at the site. i don't understand a word of Dutch but
managed to find the product and add it to the basket - just to test if
I could use it OK. I see they charge Euro8 for delivery but, how much
to the UK - any idea?
3. The prices are considerably cheaper than I've seen here. As it is
in the EU do I assume correctly that there are no extra charges for
customs etc.
4. Do their charges include VAT?
5. I assume that you are pleased with your Fritzbox and that,
hopefully, some of the bad reviews I have read from individuals aren't
'standard' faults in the design.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old December 16th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Brian A" wrote in message

Thanks for all your comments.
1. Am I to assume that we are 'Annex A' ?

Yes
2. I took a look at the site. i don't understand a word of Dutch but
managed to find the product and add it to the basket - just to test if
I could use it OK. I see they charge Euro8 for delivery but, how much
to the UK - any idea?

I have used my best Dutch to ask the question via their contact form - will
let you know if there is a reply. Alternatively, you could give them a call
(I don't know a single Dutch person who can't speak at least passable
English!) You will need to register in any case to get the goods, but they
may not be able to accept visa etc. (they like to use their own version of
Switch over there and sometimes foreign cards can be a bit problematic).
However they do also like bank transfers and this is possible although your
bank will charge you about a tenner for doing this.
3. The prices are considerably cheaper than I've seen here. As it is
in the EU do I assume correctly that there are no extra charges for
customs etc.

The rule in the EU is that you will only ever pay VAT once, and I believe it
also your choice where you pay this. No duties though
4. Do their charges include VAT?

Yes. (keyword BTW)
5. I assume that you are pleased with your Fritzbox and that,
hopefully, some of the bad reviews I have read from individuals aren't
'standard' faults in the design.

I am pleased with my 7050. Dialling rules aren't so flexible as Asterisk,
but it works pretty much out of the box. Much better than the Linksys,
particularly with registration (once the registration drops on my Linksys,
it gives up trying!) Just gutted I didn't spot this site before to get it a
bit cheaper

Old December 17th 06, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stu

I have used my best Dutch to ask the question via their contact form - will
let you know if there is a reply. Alternatively, you could give them a call
(I don't know a single Dutch person who can't speak at least passable
English!) You will need to register in any case to get the goods, but they
may not be able to accept visa etc. (they like to use their own version of
Switch over there and sometimes foreign cards can be a bit problematic).

Credit card usage is not common in most of mainland Europe for everyday
purchases. Hence you also don't get the spiralling UK debt problem
either. PIN/Maestro card or bank transfer is the norm. Bank transfers
usually clear in 1-2 days and since it can be done online it's easy.
Most people only get a credit card for when they go abroad.

However they do also like bank transfers and this is possible although your
bank will charge you about a tenner for doing this.

Holy crap 10 UKP. Euro banks are not allowed to charge to send euros to
any other euro account in the EU. I can send up to EUR 50.000 back to
the UK and convert it to UKP for 5 euro. If you can convince a place to
accept Paypal that'll be a lot cheaper since there's no commission.

3. The prices are considerably cheaper than I've seen here. As it is
in the EU do I assume correctly that there are no extra charges for
customs etc.

The rule in the EU is that you will only ever pay VAT once, and I believe it
also your choice where you pay this. No duties though

No you pay VAT in the country of purchase.

5. I assume that you are pleased with your Fritzbox and that,
hopefully, some of the bad reviews I have read from individuals aren't
'standard' faults in the design.

I can't say the service of Zercom was outstanding, especially when I had
a problem with my 7140. Personally I wouldn't buy from them again. I've
bought from 4launch.nl, they were better. Here's a nice Dutch website to
compare prices, maybe you can find one that'll accept CCs.

http://tinyurl.com/ygqe74