Number of Ports?

Old December 14th 06, 07:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
steveybar

Default Number of Ports?

I have a Netgear DG834GT ADSL Router with 4 ports that are now fully
occupied with PCs etc. I need another couple of Ports and so I am thinking
of purchasing a Netgear FS605 Ethernet Switch, which has 5 ports.

I believe I will have to connect 1 port of the Router to 1 port of the
Switch utilising a Cat 5 patch lead - will this leave me with 3 Router Ports
+ 4 Switch Ports = 7 Ports, or can I only use the 4 spare Ports on the
Switch?

Thanks - Steve B.

Old December 14th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 14 Dec 2006, "steveybar" wrote:

will this leave me with 3 Router Ports + 4 Switch Ports = 7 Ports

Yes, that's correct. I didn't check the Netgear specs but some kit
will automatically reconfigure to cope with the item plugged in,
and other kit doesn't reconfigure. Some hubs/switched have one of
the ports with a small switch (some use a slider switch, others in/out)
and some have an extra port marked with "X" to mean the connections
are cross-connected, so that units can be "daisy chained" or "cascaded".

If you connect the two units and get no lights showing, you might need
a crossover cable, rather than a 'straight' cable. Most of the patch
leads are 'straight' wiring links, but crossover cables can be had
for a small extra cost over the price of the normal cables.

Just thought it might help if you see either unexplained "X" marks on
the FS605, or get no joy from the cable you use to connect, though it
works fine when connecting a PC to either Netgear unit.
Old December 14th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , steveybar
writes
I have a Netgear DG834GT ADSL Router with 4 ports that are now fully
occupied with PCs etc. I need another couple of Ports and so I am thinking
of purchasing a Netgear FS605 Ethernet Switch, which has 5 ports.

I believe I will have to connect 1 port of the Router to 1 port of the
Switch utilising a Cat 5 patch lead - will this leave me with 3 Router Ports
+ 4 Switch Ports = 7 Ports, or can I only use the 4 spare Ports on the
Switch?

The FS605 has five ports that are auto-sensing, so you can use an
ordinary patch cable to link the router and switch together.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Swit...605.aspx?detai
l=Specifications

I think you might also consider getting a switch with 8 ports instead.
The marginal cost is not likely to be much, and you might need the extra
ports later. If you have already reached the point where four ports is
insufficient you might want to consider whether you are likely to reach
the point where seven is also insufficient.

--
Bernard Peek
back in search of cognoscenti
Old December 15th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
steveybar wrote:
I have a Netgear DG834GT ADSL Router with 4 ports that are now fully
occupied with PCs etc. I need another couple of Ports and so I am thinking
of purchasing a Netgear FS605 Ethernet Switch, which has 5 ports.

I believe I will have to connect 1 port of the Router to 1 port of the
Switch utilising a Cat 5 patch lead - will this leave me with 3 Router Ports
+ 4 Switch Ports = 7 Ports, or can I only use the 4 spare Ports on the
Switch?

You get to use all 7 free ports.