FAQ? Looking to add VOIP to analogue system

Old December 14th 06, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Clint Sharp

Default FAQ? Looking to add VOIP to analogue system

Right, be nice to me, I've been thrown in at the deep end with this and
the learning curve for *all* the new skills I need is looking vertical!
Basically, I need a VOIP telephone extension for eight lines to an
existing analogue exchange, there will be a business broadband (800K up)
link between the two sites and the 'lines' do not need externally
accessible numbers (but it might be nice if they could have sequential
non-geographical ones in the future)

I can't seem to find an example of such a setup from a quick google,
probably because I don't know the terminology used to describe it. If
you can point me in the right direction or at least to a FAQ/tutorial on
VOIP it would help.

Thanks.
--
Clint Sharp
Old December 14th 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Clint Sharp used his keyboard to write :
Right, be nice to me, I've been thrown in at the deep end with this and the
learning curve for *all* the new skills I need is looking vertical!
Basically, I need a VOIP telephone extension for eight lines to an existing
analogue exchange, there will be a business broadband (800K up) link between
the two sites and the 'lines' do not need externally accessible numbers (but
it might be nice if they could have sequential non-geographical ones in the
future)

I can't seem to find an example of such a setup from a quick google,
probably because I don't know the terminology used to describe it. If you can
point me in the right direction or at least to a FAQ/tutorial on VOIP it
would help.

Are the eight lines, together with the analogue exchange, in one
location and the required voip phone in another?

Below are some good reference guides, if I understood you correctly.

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/spa_backtoback_1x_spa3000_and_1x_spa1001.pdf

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/spa_backtoback_2x_spa3000.pdf

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/spa_backtoback_2x_spa3000_and_1x_spa2000.pdf

http://www.provu.co.uk/support.html

Old December 15th 06, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Clint Sharp

In message , Jono
writes
Clint Sharp used his keyboard to write :
I can't seem to find an example of such a setup from a quick
google, probably because I don't know the terminology used to describe
it. If you can point me in the right direction or at least to a
FAQ/tutorial on VOIP it would help.

Are the eight lines, together with the analogue exchange, in one
location and the required voip phone in another?

Yes, that pretty much sums it up except that it's VOIP phones plural.
Looking to link them to the existing office and PBX

Below are some good reference guides, if I understood you correctly.

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sp...00_and_1x_spa1

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sp...00_and_1x_spa2

Old December 15th 06, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , Jono
writes
Clint Sharp used his keyboard to write :
I can't seem to find an example of such a setup from a quick
google, probably because I don't know the terminology used to
describe it. If you can point me in the right direction or at least
to a FAQ/tutorial on VOIP it would help.

Are the eight lines, together with the analogue exchange, in one
location and the required voip phone in another?

Yes, that pretty much sums it up except that it's VOIP phones plural.
Looking to link them to the existing office and PBX

Below are some good reference guides, if I understood you correctly.

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sp...00_and_1x_spa1
001.pdf

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/spa_backtoback_2x_spa3000.pdf

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sp...00_and_1x_spa2
000.pdf

http://www.provu.co.uk/support.html

You don't say what PBX you have in your current office but if it is an
ordinary analogue one (i.e. not some proprietary digital thing) then you
can use the Linksys/Sipura adaptors. You need a free analogue extension
port for each "remote" telephone on the system, just like you would if
you were connecting them locally. You connect a Linksys SPA-3102 to
each port which is also connected to the Internet. Then at the remote
location you have more Linksys adaptors (PAP2Ts would probably be the
cheapest solution, you could plug two independent phones into each one)
with the analogue telephones connected to them. Following the
configuration in my PDFs above means that any number dialled on the
telephones is sent over the Internet, to the SPA-3102s and into the PBX.

The trick to getting it right usually lies in configuring the 3102 to
interoperate with your PBX system. In particular, line voltages and
disconnect handling are areas people struggle. You need to know the
exact specification of your PBX, the SPA-3102 can be setup to work with
pretty much anything but you need to know what you're aiming for. Just
assuming the specs of the analogue ports are the same as a BT wall
socket has caused many people many sleepless nights.

cheers,
Paul.
Old December 16th 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Clint Sharp

In message , Paul
writes
The trick to getting it right usually lies in configuring the 3102 to
interoperate with your PBX system. In particular, line voltages and
disconnect handling are areas people struggle. You need to know the
exact specification of your PBX, the SPA-3102 can be setup to work with
pretty much anything but you need to know what you're aiming for. Just
assuming the specs of the analogue ports are the same as a BT wall
socket has caused many people many sleepless nights.

cheers,
Paul.

Thanks to all who replied, I've got some reading to do but at least i
now know where to start. This VOIP stuff is really interesting, how
similar is it to the 21cn stuff BT is rolling out, I.E. is BT using the
same protocols etc. just on a huge scale?
--
Clint Sharp
Old December 17th 06, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JW

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , Jono
writes

Clint Sharp used his keyboard to write :

I can't seem to find an example of such a setup from a quick
google, probably because I don't know the terminology used to
describe it. If you can point me in the right direction or at least
to a FAQ/tutorial on VOIP it would help.

Are the eight lines, together with the analogue exchange, in one
location and the required voip phone in another?

Yes, that pretty much sums it up except that it's VOIP phones plural.
Looking to link them to the existing office and PBX

Below are some good reference guides, if I understood you correctly.

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sp...00_and_1x_spa1
001.pdf

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/spa_backtoback_2x_spa3000.pdf

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sp...00_and_1x_spa2
000.pdf

http://www.provu.co.uk/support.html

With multiple lines, you'd be better looking at a multi-port
gateway. These typically come with 4, 8 or 16 ports and
there are versions for the PBX extension (FXO) and (if using
analogue phones) the terminals (FXS).

Note that users might not be able to transfer calls (except,
maybe, to other gateway terminals) or access other PBX features.
Old December 18th 06, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Clint Sharp wrote:
I can't seem to find an example of such a setup from a quick google,
probably because I don't know the terminology used to describe it. If
you can point me in the right direction or at least to a FAQ/tutorial on
VOIP it would help.

The terminology you need to know is longline extension.

Tim
Old December 18th 06, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Clint Sharp wrote:
Thanks to all who replied, I've got some reading to do but at least i
now know where to start. This VOIP stuff is really interesting, how
similar is it to the 21cn stuff BT is rolling out, I.E. is BT using the
same protocols etc. just on a huge scale?

In theory yes.

In practice, who knows.

Tim
Old December 20th 06, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:29:22 +0000, Clint Sharp
wrote:

how
similar is it to the 21cn stuff BT is rolling out, I.E. is BT using the
same protocols etc. just on a huge scale?

Think so. My guess is that they'll use Cisco kit and/or protocols. But
BT seem to have the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory,
so no doubt there will be a snag.