Plusnet 'Bad Boy Pipe' - Revisited

Old December 15th 06, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Will G

Default Plusnet 'Bad Boy Pipe' - Revisited

Plusnet have recently alluded to the fact that it has imposed extra traffic
management or restrictions, rate limiting, on it's top 6% of 'heavy users'.
These users are within the caps/limits imposed by usage policies but have
been singled out merely because they are within the top 6% in terms of data
downloaded.

It is not clear how far these restrictions go, as Plusnet have not made it
clear, nor do users know whether they are one of the 6% or not, as Plusnet
have not officially informed anybody.

This is reminiscent of an episode when Plusnet placed the top 10% of heavy
users all on the same pipe together, this became known as the 'Bad Boys
Pipe'.

Now with use of the Ellacoya, these new 6% of users are having their
connections restricted instead of being placed on a 'special' pipe.

Old December 15th 06, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

It is not clear how far these restrictions go, as Plusnet have not made it
clear, nor do users know whether they are one of the 6% or not, as Plusnet
have not officially informed anybody.

This is nothing new - when I was on dialup ("unlimited") I was told
(funnily enough the day AFTER I closed the account) that they wanted to
close my account as I was an "abusive" (bandwidth) user.

I'd closed the account because i'd been moved to a heavily restricted
connection which dropped regularly and gave a throughput of ~2k max, and
would take 15-20 mins each time to reconnect - and had been told that
even if I left them and came back as a new user, both I *and* the line
were blacklisted and I could never have a normal connection with them
again.

This was despite one of the directors giving me his personal mobile
number after i'd helped them identify and remove a scam site (this is
from when they were every couple of weeks, not every couple of minutes
via spam) in case I came across another site within their network that
needed taking down in a hurry.
Old December 15th 06, 02:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stan The Man

In article ews.net,
Will G wrote:

Plusnet have recently alluded to the fact that it has imposed extra traffic
management or restrictions, rate limiting, on it's top 6% of 'heavy users'.
These users are within the caps/limits imposed by usage policies but have
been singled out merely because they are within the top 6% in terms of data
downloaded.

It is not clear how far these restrictions go, as Plusnet have not made it
clear, nor do users know whether they are one of the 6% or not, as Plusnet
have not officially informed anybody.

This is reminiscent of an episode when Plusnet placed the top 10% of heavy
users all on the same pipe together, this became known as the 'Bad Boys
Pipe'.

Now with use of the Ellacoya, these new 6% of users are having their
connections restricted instead of being placed on a 'special' pipe.

According to a recent Ofcom letter, this trick breaks PlusNet's own
T&Cs so the official complaints channels will be buzzing - and one or
two hardy souls might finally be persuaded to take these 3-card trick
artists to court. They are so short of bandwidth that they are
re-writing the rules at the drop of a hat.

Get out before the Christmas meltdown - even their web users have been
complaining of strangulated browsing, and that's in the allegedly
untouchable traffic queue.

Alternatively spend Christmas chopping wood and going for long walks.

Stan
Old December 15th 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when "Will G"
opened his gob and said:

Plusnet have recently alluded to the fact that it has imposed extra traffic
management or restrictions, rate limiting, on it's top 6% of 'heavy users'.
These users are within the caps/limits imposed by usage policies but have
been singled out merely because they are within the top 6% in terms of data
downloaded.

I and others said this would happen sooner or later...continual 'top
slicing'.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old December 15th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sla#s

Will G wrote:
Plusnet have recently alluded to the fact that it has imposed extra
traffic management or restrictions, rate limiting, on it's top 6% of
'heavy users'. These users are within the caps/limits imposed by
usage policies but have been singled out merely because they are
within the top 6% in terms of data downloaded.

It is not clear how far these restrictions go, as Plusnet have not
made it clear, nor do users know whether they are one of the 6% or
not, as Plusnet have not officially informed anybody.

This is reminiscent of an episode when Plusnet placed the top 10% of
heavy users all on the same pipe together, this became known as the
'Bad Boys Pipe'.

Now with use of the Ellacoya, these new 6% of users are having their
connections restricted instead of being placed on a 'special' pipe.

Yes, I went over the monthly useage and thereafter the service became
unusable, even offpeak.
This was not the service they advertised or I paid for, so I've sent a
letter of complaint to Ofcom.
I recomend all other effected Plusnet users do the same.

I left them a couple of days ago and my connection is now "smokin" :-)

Slatts

Old December 16th 06, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Forgotten to take your medication again have you?

Peter Crosland

Old December 16th 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Peter Crosland wrote:

According to a recent Ofcom letter, this trick breaks PlusNet's own
T&Cs so the official complaints channels will be buzzing - and one or
two hardy souls might finally be persuaded to take these 3-card trick
artists to court. They are so short of bandwidth that they are
re-writing the rules at the drop of a hat.

Get out before the Christmas meltdown - even their web users have been
complaining of strangulated browsing, and that's in the allegedly
untouchable traffic queue.

Alternatively spend Christmas chopping wood and going for long walks.

Forgotten to take your medication again have you?

Forgotten to take your reality pill have you Peter ?

Graham