NHS Ports

Old December 15th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R.Daneel Olivaw

Default NHS Ports

I work in an NHS building behind a firewall. I have several servers at home
(mail, file, photo etc) I would like to be able to contact from work. At
home I have a router and as I am using NAT they all need a separate port
forwarded to each of them. Does anyone know what ports are open in an NHS
firewall. I have asked the IT chap and he tells me he is not allowed to tell
me but that it is Ok for me to use any port I find open! I have got most of
what I want running by setting a port to be forwarded and then going to work
and trying. I still however need another 3 ports!

Is there a list anywhere?

Old December 15th 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 15 Dec 2006, "R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote:

I work in an NHS building behind a firewall. I have several servers at home
(mail, file, photo etc) I would like to be able to contact from work. At
home I have a router and as I am using NAT they all need a separate port
forwarded to each of them.

Depends on the OS. If you happened to use the (free) LogMeIn software (it
is available for Windows XP, primarily) then it connects out to the (US) HQ
and if you wish to connect, it would be using port 443 (HTTPS) which should
be possible through most firewalls, unless they have specific whitelists of
domain names/IP ranges, rather than allowing all access on specific ports.

I assume you're using VNC or similar. If that's the case, surely you only
need to reach one machine and from that can control all others... As for
the other uses, I'd be seriously unhappy if someone was able to upload
material off an NHS connection to their own mail/file/photo server!
Old December 15th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/
http://www.auditmypc.com/
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Old December 15th 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Blessing

R.Daneel Olivaw wrote:
I work in an NHS building behind a firewall. I have several servers at home
(mail, file, photo etc) I would like to be able to contact from work. At
home I have a router and as I am using NAT they all need a separate port
forwarded to each of them. Does anyone know what ports are open in an NHS
firewall. I have asked the IT chap and he tells me he is not allowed to tell
me but that it is Ok for me to use any port I find open! I have got most of
what I want running by setting a port to be forwarded and then going to work
and trying. I still however need another 3 ports!

If you can browse the web then 80 and 443 should both be open.

Old December 15th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R.Daneel Olivaw

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
[...]

Why would you be unhappy about uploading material from an NHS Connection.
The computer is in my Office at work and only I use it. I could attach
files/photos and email them to myself. Would that be Ok? I am only using to
upload stuff I need to work on at home.

Old December 15th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R.Daneel Olivaw

"Harry" wrote in message

"R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote in message
I work in an NHS building behind a firewall. I have several servers at
home (mail, file, photo etc) I would like to be able to contact from work.
At home I have a router and as I am using NAT they all need a separate
port forwarded to each of them. Does anyone know what ports are open in an
NHS firewall. I have asked the IT chap and he tells me he is not allowed
to tell me but that it is Ok for me to use any port I find open! I have
got most of what I want running by setting a port to be forwarded and then
going to work and trying. I still however need another 3 ports!

Is there a list anywhere?

http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/
http://www.auditmypc.com/
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Thanks. I am aware of these utilities but that scan the firewall from the
outside. All ports are stealthed and do not show up. I need to know what
ports are available from inside the firewall.

Old December 15th 06, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R.Daneel Olivaw

"James Blessing" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
R.Daneel Olivaw wrote:
I work in an NHS building behind a firewall. I have several servers at
home
(mail, file, photo etc) I would like to be able to contact from work. At
home I have a router and as I am using NAT they all need a separate port
forwarded to each of them. Does anyone know what ports are open in an NHS
firewall. I have asked the IT chap and he tells me he is not allowed to
tell
me but that it is Ok for me to use any port I find open! I have got most
of
what I want running by setting a port to be forwarded and then going to
work
and trying. I still however need another 3 ports!

If you can browse the web then 80 and 443 should both be open.

By trial and error I have found these port open

8080
1024
443
22
79
23
5001
5002
5003
80
8081
8082
5004
110
25

The reason I need lots of ports is that I have 7 CCTV cameras around my home
as well as the file,mail and photo sever. One of the CCTV cameras is a Pan
and Tilt one and needs four ports by itself!

Old December 15th 06, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain

"R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote in message

The reason I need lots of ports is that I have 7 CCTV cameras around my
home as well as the file,mail and photo sever. One of the CCTV cameras is
a Pan and Tilt one and needs four ports by itself!

Good to see all that IT investment in the NHS being used to help patient
care...

Old December 15th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maneate

"Iain" wrote in message

"R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote in message

The reason I need lots of ports is that I have 7 CCTV cameras around my
home as well as the file,mail and photo sever. One of the CCTV cameras is
a Pan and Tilt one and needs four ports by itself!

Good to see all that IT investment in the NHS being used to help patient
care...

You mean you actually believed that all that 'Investment' was actually to
help patients?
I thought it was to buy votes for the next election.....

Old December 15th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote in message
I work in an NHS building behind a firewall. I have several servers at home
(mail, file, photo etc) I would like to be able to contact from work. At
home I have a router and as I am using NAT they all need a separate port
forwarded to each of them. Does anyone know what ports are open in an NHS
firewall. I have asked the IT chap and he tells me he is not allowed to
tell me but that it is Ok for me to use any port I find open! I have got
most of what I want running by setting a port to be forwarded and then
going to work and trying. I still however need another 3 ports!

Is there a list anywhere?

It is quite probably easy to do what you are asking.
However it is probably illegal and could get you sacked.
If you need access then ask your IT dept.
If they say no then you will have to live with it.