Best fup isp?

Old December 15th 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

Default Best fup isp?

I have just been with Demon home max for 2 months and have had a letter this
morning stating I downloaded 119gig in 30 days and have restricted my speed
to 128kbps for the next 30 days during peak times.

Now all my downloads were off peak at the times they stated but now say it
does not matter when I do it as if I go over 50 gig they will cap my speeds.
This is just moving the goal posts without telling me, very annoying as I
told them I would be getting around 100 gig some months and said fine as
long as in the off peak times.

Customer service is a joke and would not listen to me. But I asked about
leaving and they were happy to let me go without having to stick to the 12
month contract and they have sent me it in writing via email.

Who actually sticks to the fup they advertise? I am considering Namesco
Homemax+ which states 60gig peak and unlimited off peak. I will never go
over 130 gig a month and usually its around 70gig max and always off peak
and after midnight.

Any other isp which would suit?

Cheers

Simon.

Old December 15th 06, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article m,
Simon wrote:
[...]

Try one of the Entanet resellers - eg.

http://www.ukfsn.org/home/internet/a...allowance.html

Gordon
Old December 15th 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

Just curious but what is it you download that can take up over a 100 Gig
a month?

All sorts really. I usually have never gone over 40 to 50 gig to be honest
but just lately I have taken more of an interest and have been downloading
all sorts. But if it's going to be so hard to do it I will just stop and get
the cheapest possible or even go free and get sky. I just do not see the
point in speed for just browsing. I do not do online gaming but I guess a
good clean fast connection is important there.

Lets be honest though most of the large files available for download are
illegal but until they find a way for stuff to not make it online, people
will keep downloading it.

But if speeds keep going up and up but download limits keep failing, just
what is the point of all the speed if you use up your allowance so quickly?
We may as well all be on a 512kb connection

Old December 15th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Simon wrote:

I have just been with Demon home max for 2 months and have had a letter this
morning stating I downloaded 119gig in 30 days and have restricted my speed
to 128kbps for the next 30 days during peak times.

I can't say I blame them !

Graham

Old December 15th 06, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Simon wrote:

But if speeds keep going up and up but download limits keep failing, just
what is the point of all the speed if you use up your allowance so quickly?
We may as well all be on a 512kb connection

It's very handy if you need the occasional 10MB download - it's there in almost
a blink.

I do think that ppl using 40x the bandwidth I do ought to pay for it.

Tiscali has no limits outside 18:00 - 24:00 btw and you can get the 1Mbps for
12.99

Graham

Old December 16th 06, 01:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Loz

Eeyore wrote:

Simon wrote:

But if speeds keep going up and up but download limits keep failing, just
what is the point of all the speed if you use up your allowance so quickly?
We may as well all be on a 512kb connection

It's very handy if you need the occasional 10MB download - it's there in almost
a blink.

I do think that ppl using 40x the bandwidth I do ought to pay for it.

Tiscali has no limits outside 18:00 - 24:00 btw and you can get the 1Mbps for
12.99

No limits - as long as you don't use it very much!
Least AOL don't limit at all, 14.99 - but if you are migrating, phone
up and you can apparently get 1Mbps for 1Mbps.
They will be OK with 100GB a month - I use them and currently am doing
about 70GB per month :|

Old December 16th 06, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Loz

Loz wrote:

No limits - as long as you don't use it very much!
Least AOL don't limit at all, 14.99 - but if you are migrating, phone
up and you can apparently get 1Mbps for 1Mbps.
They will be OK with 100GB a month - I use them and currently am doing
about 70GB per month :|

1Mbps for 9.99 a month maybe that should be

Though it is a constant 1Mbps - never had less (that I can put down to
them at any rate)

Just don't use their software!
Old December 17th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 15 Dec 2006, "Simon" wrote:

I just do not see the point in speed for just browsing.

A bit like suggesting that because some top sports cars can run at 150 mph
that's the speed they should be driven at, all the time. While having the
potential to download several times the capacity of my hard drives is now
possible, I'm certainly not of the view that 'because it can be done, it
should be done' nor am I of the opinion that I'm 'losing out' if I'm
not using it to its full, or 24x7 (though I'm actually likely to be
using it 24x365, but don't consider it essential to be doing so!)

--
runbox.com - 10 GB of mail storage and 1 GB for files...
30 day free trial... http://2238.runbox.com/
Old December 17th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

A bit like suggesting that because some top sports cars can run at 150 mph
that's the speed they should be driven at, all the time.

No but they are pretty pointless don't you think on our roads.

Anyhow I have only downloaded that sort of amount last month and about half
that 2 months prior. I have decided just to not bother and go for a new
phone contract and broadband with orange.

I was not trying to say I have a right to as much as I wanted, just
wondering if any isp's were more lenient.

I don't look good for us brits when tv on demand comes down the phone lines
when we have a cracking 2gig cap enforced on us. Way behind the likes of
France and other countries as usual. It will not get any better while bt
holds the rest of the companies by the balls either.

Simon.