Considering AOL

Old December 16th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Pollard

Default Considering AOL

Hi
I was considering a switch from Demon to AOL but I would like to use
my own browser, Firefox and my own e-mail client, Becky. I understand
that the e-mail is IMAP and am unsure as to whether I can sort the
incoming e-mail to folders as I do now with Demon. My reason for the
swap, Demon's inability to run a SMTP server for longer than 18 hours
without a problem. Your advive welcome.

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0659-0, 15/12/2006
Tested on: 16/12/2006 11:46:58

Old December 16th 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Loz

Ian Pollard wrote:
Hi
I was considering a switch from Demon to AOL but I would like to use
my own browser, Firefox and my own e-mail client, Becky. I understand
that the e-mail is IMAP and am unsure as to whether I can sort the
incoming e-mail to folders as I do now with Demon. My reason for the
swap, Demon's inability to run a SMTP server for longer than 18 hours
without a problem. Your advive welcome.

You can use your own browser. I use Firefox with AOL - also using my own
router so no need for any of their rubbish software on here.

I use GoogleMail for both incoming and outgoing email (which is POP3 and
SMTP) and am sorting that into folders. If you are comfortable using
Gmail (some people have privacy issues with them?) then I recommend you
do that.

I have no experience with sorting mail into folders with IMAP, hopefully
someone else will be able to answer that question.
Old December 16th 06, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christof Meerwald

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:46:57 +0000, Ian Pollard wrote:
I was considering a switch from Demon to AOL but I would like to use
my own browser, Firefox and my own e-mail client, Becky. I understand
that the e-mail is IMAP and am unsure as to whether I can sort the
incoming e-mail to folders as I do now with Demon. My reason for the
swap, Demon's inability to run a SMTP server for longer than 18 hours
without a problem. Your advive welcome.

Why not just sign up for a free AOL e-mail address? (or if you are using AOL
Instant Messenger you might already have one)

see http://info.aol.co.uk/email/

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
Old December 16th 06, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Pollard

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:17:03 +0000 (UTC), Christof Meerwald
wrote:

Why not just sign up for a free AOL e-mail address? (or if you are using AOL
Instant Messenger you might already have one)

see http://info.aol.co.uk/email/

Christof

Hi
it turns out that I do already have an aol e-mail address.
Thank You.

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0659-0, 15/12/2006
Tested on: 16/12/2006 14:55:49

Old December 16th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

wrote:

Hi
I was considering a switch from Demon to AOL but I would like to use
my own browser, Firefox and my own e-mail client, Becky. I understand
that the e-mail is IMAP and am unsure as to whether I can sort the
incoming e-mail to folders as I do now with Demon. My reason for the
swap, Demon's inability to run a SMTP server for longer than 18 hours
without a problem. Your advive welcome.

Ian

I use AOL with my own browser and email program (Pegasus Mail). The
easier way to do it is using a router.

I have absolutely no problems with their connection (truly unlimited).

Their tech support is worse than hopeless, more in the "your worst
nightmare" bracket, but if you never have any problems, their
connection is fast and stable.

The email issue requires some thinking through.

Their server uses IMAP, you therefore need to use an IMAP-compliant
client.

A more interesting alternative is to buy a domain name and use the
domain name's email address and their POP and SMTP servers. That will
give you a stable email address regardless of the ISP you use.

Another possible alternative is to get a claranews account
http://www.uk.clara.net/homeaccess/mail_and_news.php
(AOL has no newsgroups) starting from a tenner a year, which provide
POP3 and SMTP servers (in addition to the newsgroups)

Finally, gMail accounts also allow you to receive and send email.

All in all I have been with AOL well over 6 months, and I am quite
happy with their connection.

HIH

Lorenz

PS You need to use the "authenticated SMTP" port to send mail to a
non-AOL server while connected on a AOL line (wisely, IMO)

[L.]
Old December 16th 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
uknewsfan

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:57:49 +0000, "[L.]" wrote:

All in all I have been with AOL well over 6 months, and I am quite
happy with their connection.

HIH

I have been with them for ten years, dont use the software anymore,
and check the mail via webmail. Thie email system works fine, but its
dated if you prefer standalone apps. You can use outlook etc to
recieve it, but it is hard to delete etc unless you log in to aol and
do it there
Old December 17th 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

Their tech support is worse than hopeless, more in the "your worst
nightmare" bracket, but if you never have any problems, their
connection is fast and stable.

One of my customers had a problem with her phone line which stopped
broadband and she is on AOL. She spoke to a tech support guy in Ireland and
they got BT on to it and got it sorted within a few days. So I for one was
most impressed, as like you I had a very poor opinion of AOL support.

Dave