A PAP2T disaster with Delta3/iConnect

Old December 16th 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

Default A PAP2T disaster with Delta3/iConnect

After this forum gave me a great deal of help in setting up my PAP2T
for VOIPcheap, I was able to use it with that service, but found that
payment options were rather limited (I was not able to simply use my
credit card), and so decided to give Delta3 (iConnect) a try. The only
possibilities for using one's own ATA with iConnect are the PC2Phone
plans, and I took the cheapest of these ($5.95 for 400 min/month) as
an experiment. The experiment has ended in disaster, though I am able
to make calls from a PC.

Delta3 did not give me instructions for setting up the PAP2T, but I
found their page at
http://corp.deltathree.com/productsa...pap2_instructi
ons.html, which were simple enough to follow.

I was very careful to be precise in key-entry, and reviewed the
settings twice afterward, before saving them. The settings for my LAN
(IPaddress, subnet mask, gateway address etc. are unchanged and
undisturbed, of course, from their content with VOIPcheap.

I then, according to Paragraph IV of the instructions, logged on to
http://www.icallhere.com, using my iConnect ID and password. What
stopped me cold was the next step, which is "Click 'Go to my
devices'", because the menu on that page contained no such item. I
attempted then to return to the PAP2 configuration screens, and found
that I was no longer able to communicate with it at all.

The Power LED of the ATA now blinks at a rate of 1/sec; the Ethernet
LED is on steady, but flickers with LAN traffic. Telephone access to
the Linksys Configuration Menu worked, and I checked those settings
which are accessible through that menu -- they are as they should be.
I tried to reset the device using the codes "****" + "73738#"; that
brings up a login dialog with the recorded voice, asking for my
password.

I had never filled in an administrative password for the device, but
had found that the string "password" was the default that enabled me
to bring up the PAP2T configuration screens. The reaction of the voice
to this was "Invalid password". I then tried the four-digit numerical
password that iConnect issued me. This produced a continuous tone in
the telephone handset, which never stopped until I hung up. After
that, even the "****" code doesn't work (no feedback tone in the
handset receiver), so that the device is totally dead in the water. My
fear, of course, is that the PAP2T is now a paperweight and nothing
more.

I sent this tale of woe to iConnect's "Customer Care" address, and
received a long boilerplate message suitable for any and all
occasions, but totally irrelevant to my query (its first advice is to
register and pay them some money). Evidently "care" consists of not
actually reading customer questions.

I think that covers everything I know about the state of the ATA and
how it got
to it.

If somebody knows a way that I can actually reset the thing, or even
just to undo the most recent step, which would give me a little hope,
I would be most happy and grateful. Needless to say, I would then seek
another solution to the communication problem.

--
Stan Goodman

Old December 16th 06, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-12-16, Stan wrote:

[Snip]

I had never filled in an administrative password for the device, but
had found that the string "password" was the default that enabled me
to bring up the PAP2T configuration screens. The reaction of the voice
to this was "Invalid password". I then tried the four-digit numerical
password that iConnect issued me. This produced a continuous tone in
the telephone handset, which never stopped until I hung up. After
that, even the "****" code doesn't work (no feedback tone in the
handset receiver), so that the device is totally dead in the water. My
fear, of course, is that the PAP2T is now a paperweight and nothing
more.

[Another snip]

If somebody knows a way that I can actually reset the thing, or even
just to undo the most recent step, which would give me a little hope,
I would be most happy and grateful. Needless to say, I would then seek
another solution to the communication problem.

I thought the Sipura 2000/PAP2 came unconfigured without any passwords
and, in any case, resetting the unit with **** 73738# or **** 877778#
didn't require one. Maybe things have changed since I got mine.

Anyway, to give you something to try: disconnect the router from the
internet and switch off the PAP2. Have a cup of decent coffee.

Reconnect to the power supply but not to the internet. Try **** 110# to
see what the ATA thinks its IP is. If there is a response contact the
unit with http://PAP2 IP.

Does any of that work? No. Have another cup of coffee.

Brian.
Old December 16th 06, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:16:51 UTC, Brian opined:
On 2006-12-16, Stan wrote:

[Snip]

[...]

Unimportant. right now I can't access it with or without a password.

Anyway, to give you something to try: disconnect the router from the
internet and switch off the PAP2. Have a cup of decent coffee.

Reconnect to the power supply but not to the internet. Try **** 110# to
see what the ATA thinks its IP is. If there is a response contact the
unit with http://PAP2 IP.

Been there; done that.

Does any of that work? No. Have another cup of coffee.

Drat. I left out the steps with the coffee.

Brian.

Old December 16th 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On 2006-12-16, Stan wrote:

[Snip]

[...]

I still haven't done the coffee bit yet, but I have run through the
entire reset process once more. The situation is a little different
now.

The two rightmost LEDs (Power and Ethernet) are now on steadily;
formerly, Power blinked once per second. I think this shows that the
device sees the 'Net. It also verifies the device's LAN settings.

I am still unable to see the configuration screens with the browser --
http://device's IP address times out. Therefore I can't set such
details as DNS addresses, which would enable me to connect with a
service provider.

Old December 16th 06, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

news:[email protected]

[Snip]

Does ****110# confirm the IP address as being what you think it is?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old December 17th 06, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-12-16, Stan wrote:

I was very careful to be precise in key-entry, and reviewed the
settings twice afterward, before saving them. The settings for my LAN
(IPaddress, subnet mask, gateway address etc. are unchanged and
undisturbed, of course, from their content with VOIPcheap.

I then, according to Paragraph IV of the instructions, logged on to
http://www.icallhere.com, using my iConnect ID and password. What
stopped me cold was the next step, which is "Click 'Go to my
devices'", because the menu on that page contained no such item. I
attempted then to return to the PAP2 configuration screens, and found
that I was no longer able to communicate with it at all.

Part of the setting up process includes allowing remote provisioning of
the ATA. I've no detailed insight into what happens but the rl-init.cfg
would seem to configure some of the PAP2's parameters to suit the
iconnecthere service. But IP addresses etc are not touched. Name servers
are altered but that shouldn't matter. A change to the firmware is a
possibility.

I cannot see the provisioning being other than benign but have read that
interupting the process by, for example, disconnecting the ATA from the
power supply, can leave the ATA in an unusable state. Also, unlocked
units tend to be locked again. Nothing like that applies here, does it?

Brian.
Old December 17th 06, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-12-16, Stan wrote:

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:16:51 UTC, Brian opined:
Reconnect to the power supply but not to the internet. Try **** 110# to
see what the ATA thinks its IP is. If there is a response contact the
unit with http://PAP2 IP.

Been there; done that.

Change the phone and connecting cable? Yes, I know it has worked
previously but......

Brian.
Old December 17th 06, 07:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 00:59:44 UTC, Brian opined:
On 2006-12-16, Stan wrote:

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:16:51 UTC, Brian opined:
Reconnect to the power supply but not to the internet. Try **** 110# to
see what the ATA thinks its IP is. If there is a response contact the
unit with http://PAP2 IP.

Been there; done that.

Change the phone and connecting cable? Yes, I know it has worked
previously but......

The cable is good: the Ethernet LED flickers with LAN traffic.
The phone is good: I can check and set the settings of the device.

Brian.

Old December 17th 06, 07:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:42:50 UTC, "Graham" opined:

news:[email protected]

Old December 17th 06, 07:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 00:53:35 UTC, Brian opined:
On 2006-12-16, Stan wrote:

[...]

That's exactly what I am afraid of. See my original description above.
The experience with the provisioning site was also the point at which
it became impossible to view the configuration screens, or to
otherwise communicate with the device.