Would a router be affected by streamed video?

Old December 17th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

Default Would a router be affected by streamed video?

To explain the header in more detail:

I watched a football match streamed over a normal web site during this
afternoon (Sunday). The live(!) broadcast (I think it is picked up
from a Norwegian satelitte signal and passed through a Chinese web
site so runns about 5 minutes after real action) was constant for
approx one hour then I lost the connection.

Not only was the football lost but there was no Internet access via
the browser or E-mail software. A couple of hours later after no
reconnection I unplugged the router and modem, left it a few minutes
and was able to reconnect to the Internet after plugging in. I recall
this happened a couple of Sundays ago and I assumed that the ISP had
had a problem.

Is it possible that the streaming video is causing the router to
malfunction? The lost connection was proven to be the broadband signal
rather than the Computer as I have 2 PCs running and neither could
access Broadband.

The football (TV sites) are viewable without the need to make port
alterations.

km
Old December 17th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Jethro wrote:

km wrote

Is it possible that the streaming video is causing the router to
malfunction? The lost connection was proven to be the broadband signal
rather than the Computer as I have 2 PCs running and neither could
access Broadband.

The football (TV sites) are viewable without the need to make port
alterations.

km

You're on pussnet. Being ****ed around is part and parcel of using
pussnet. Move to a proper ISP and you'll soon notice the difference.

I cannot agree enough.

I moved from plusnet after they LLU'd me without my prior knowledge.

They are a bunch of total jerks.

Graham

Old December 17th 06, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 17 Dec 2006, km wrote:

A couple of hours later after no reconnection I unplugged the router
and modem, left it a few minutes and was able to reconnect to the

Out of interest, do you mean a combined ADSL router/modem, or do you
use two separate units? Some model numbers might help, but in general
I would not expect there to be a problem of the type (disconnection) you
mention caused by simply streaming a TV show (or porno, or watching some
webcams, or whatever! :-)
Old December 17th 06, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:07:44 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
wrote:

On 17 Dec 2006, km wrote:

A couple of hours later after no reconnection I unplugged the router
and modem, left it a few minutes and was able to reconnect to the

Out of interest, do you mean a combined ADSL router/modem, or do you
use two separate units? Some model numbers might help, but in general
I would not expect there to be a problem of the type (disconnection) you
mention caused by simply streaming a TV show (or porno, or watching some
webcams, or whatever! :-)

The set up is:
Belkin 4 Port Cable Router and Modem is D-Link DSL- 300G+

has been reliable and not causing this problem when viewing football
on Evenings and even on Saturdays only today and a Sunday earlier in
the month.

The fact that the disconnection came at about half time on two matches
with presumably large volume viewing at the same time on a Sunday made
me at first think it was not my hardware at fault, but as described I
connected immediately after unplugging the equipment and replugging.

Maybe its just a coincidence .... can't see how Plusnet could turn off
my router for all traffic as was suggested in the other replies. This
was a total close down of my equipment - not only the TV viewing but I
could not access e-mail nor Newsgroups.

km

Old December 18th 06, 03:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Some cheapo routers can simply overheat and or mess up their routing tables
(with P2P traffic).
Belkin isn't what I would call 'office class' router, perhaps a Draytek,
Zyxel or Cisco router would be better.
Regards,
Martin

Old December 18th 06, 06:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

km wrote:

This
was a total close down of my equipment - not only the TV viewing but I
could not access e-mail nor Newsgroups.

That sounds like plusnet.

Graham

Old December 18th 06, 06:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rick Stevens

"Martin²" wrote in message
Some cheapo routers can simply overheat and or mess up their routing
tables (with P2P traffic).
Belkin isn't what I would call 'office class' router, perhaps a Draytek,
Zyxel or Cisco router would be better.
Regards,
Martin

My D-Link threw a complete wobbly when my daughter was streaming from
youtube. She had no problems, but I couldnt even log on to the router! I
had to reset the router to be able to log on to anything.

Old December 18th 06, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 18 Dec 2006, Eeyore wrote:

km wrote:

This was a total close down of my equipment - not only the TV viewing
but I could not access e-mail nor Newsgroups.

That sounds like plusnet.

Whatever the pros and cons, sounds like you have a stuck record (you have
already posted that you 'couldn't agree more' with Jethro, in blaming the
ISP). There are plenty of users who have no problems using PlusNet as
their ISP. While they are far from perfect, it is also the case that they
are not the only ISP which has changed the way they handle traffic (a major
complaint from heavier users) and customer services have deteriorated
somewhat (again, not alone, as one can see complaints about several other
ISPs from time to time in this very newsgroup).

Oh, and before anyone shouts 'fanboy', the fact is I left them, twice.
The first time on principle, due to the way they were handling monthly
fees for those who should have only been paying 21.99 for a 2000 kbps
connection, the second time to get a regrade to DSL Max.
Old December 18th 06, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 05:04:49 GMT, "Rick Stevens"
wrote:

"Martin²" wrote in message
Some cheapo routers can simply overheat and or mess up their routing
tables (with P2P traffic).
Belkin isn't what I would call 'office class' router, perhaps a Draytek,
Zyxel or Cisco router would be better.
Regards,
Martin

My D-Link threw a complete wobbly when my daughter was streaming from
youtube. She had no problems, but I couldnt even log on to the router! I
had to reset the router to be able to log on to anything.

The router has run satisfactorily for a few years with no problem in
heavy downloads from Newsgroups. I don't use P2P, although I did a few
years back. I don't think the TV programmes would be seen as P2P but
if they were then the suggestion is that the router fails to cope with
what - the flow or type of information?

km