BT ordering system a joke

Old December 18th 06, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default BT ordering system a joke

Last week I decided to join BT total broadband. What a ****ing farce.

To give a little history from my last post. I got halfway through the
online order and found out they only now take direct debit payments with the
phonebill. This is totally useless to me as I do not pay the phonebill. So
I never completed the order and exited at the payment instructions screen.
Immediately after, I received an order confirmation from them by email. So
I phoned up BT and they said not to worry, no order went through.

Step forward to Saturday this weekend. Knock on the door, postman delivers
a package of a BT home hub. I go into panic mode. Phoned up BT again and
they realised there was an order on the system and it was due to activate
today 18th. They asked if I wanted to cancel. I said to them if they can
accept any other payment method I would leave the order intact. No they can
only do the direct debit with the whole bill - something which is totally
nonsensical. So they said they would cancel it and arrange a collection of
the hub. If they don't pick it up I am flogging it on ebay. There is no
way I am sending it back myself at my own cost.

Do I trust them when I say they will cancel it? I am sitting here waiting
for my router to die as the connections swap. Tell you what, never been so
grateful to be with Plusnet right now.

What sort of stupid ordering system puts through an order before the
customer even agrees to the terms and accepts it?

Old December 18th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message
Last week I decided to join BT total broadband. What a ****ing farce.

To give a little history from my last post. I got halfway through the
online order and found out they only now take direct debit payments with
the phonebill. This is totally useless to me as I do not pay the
phonebill. So I never completed the order and exited at the payment
instructions screen.
Immediately after, I received an order confirmation from them by email.
So I phoned up BT and they said not to worry, no order went through.

This sort of chaos over billing has gone on for years.

Originally Surftime could only be ordered paid in the bill. Then you could
only move to Anytime if you paid by continuing credit card authority. I
avoid these like the plague and finally one could go to direct debit - fixed
price 15.99p pcm; first month bill ~192, second month bill ~29. Now they
are back to internet service only on payment via the bill...

Step forward to Saturday this weekend. Knock on the door, postman
delivers a package of a BT home hub. I go into panic mode. Phoned up BT
again and they realised there was an order on the system and it was due to
activate today 18th. They asked if I wanted to cancel. I said to them if
they can accept any other payment method I would leave the order intact.
No they can only do the direct debit with the whole bill - something which
is totally nonsensical. So they said they would cancel it and arrange a
collection of the hub. If they don't pick it up I am flogging it on ebay.

It is not exactly unsolicited, so you can't flog it after three months like
you could if it turned up out of the blue.

There is no way I am sending it back myself at my own cost.

Do I trust them when I say they will cancel it? I am sitting here waiting
for my router to die as the connections swap. Tell you what, never been
so grateful to be with Plusnet right now.

What sort of stupid ordering system puts through an order before the
customer even agrees to the terms and accepts it?

Well indeed - sounds like quite a bad bug - no doubt lots of people will now
end up with the boxes.

Old December 18th 06, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Hills

Beck wrote:
Step forward to Saturday this weekend. Knock on the door, postman
delivers a package of a BT home hub. I go into panic mode. Phoned up BT
again and they realised there was an order on the system and it was due
to activate today 18th. They asked if I wanted to cancel. I said to
them if they can accept any other payment method I would leave the order
intact. No they can only do the direct debit with the whole bill -
something which is totally nonsensical. So they said they would cancel
it and arrange a collection of the hub. If they don't pick it up I am
flogging it on ebay. There is no way I am sending it back myself at my
own cost.

If it has been delivered to you in your name, I do not believe you are
under any obligation to return it, since you have no contract with them.
It is their stupid mistake.
Old December 18th 06, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jpd

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message
Last week I decided to join BT total broadband. What a ****ing farce.

(Snip)

So they said they would cancel it and arrange a collection of the hub. If
they don't pick it up I am flogging it on ebay. There is no way I am
sending it back myself at my own cost.

You wont get much, in fact, you'll be lucky to sell it as its only for se
with BT Broadband...

Old December 18th 06, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 18 Dec 2006, "Beck" [email protected] wrote:

never been so grateful to be with Plusnet right now.

LOL. You'll have Jethro commenting in the negative when s/he sees that!
Old December 18th 06, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 18 Dec 2006, "jpd" wrote:

you'll be lucky to sell it as its only for use with BT Broadband...

Handy as a spare for someone using BT Broadband...
I know just the person :-)
(No, not me, someone who felt it was worth using).
Old December 18th 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

jpd wrote:
"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message
Last week I decided to join BT total broadband. What a ****ing farce.

(Snip)

So they said they would cancel it and arrange a collection of the hub. If
they don't pick it up I am flogging it on ebay. There is no way I am
sending it back myself at my own cost.

You wont get much, in fact, you'll be lucky to sell it as its only for se
with BT Broadband...

Actually, if it's a 2wire unit, you can flash it with generic firmware
and use it with any ISP you wish.

There's also a DNS poison trick that stops the units from 'calling home'
and resetting to their BT-programmed account details. For this you don't
even need to flash them.

I have one unit working fine with Zen and another that is being used
with a BT business account - but not the one for which it was originally
supplied.

Google is your friend...and gives you:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/2wire

http://colt.dnsalias.net/2wire/
Old December 18th 06, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

[...]

Well I wouldn't anyway as its not mine, but I am not going to send it back
at my own expense. It can sit there gathering dust for all I care :-)

Old December 18th 06, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Chris Hills" wrote in message
.uk...
Beck wrote:
Step forward to Saturday this weekend. Knock on the door, postman
delivers a package of a BT home hub. I go into panic mode. Phoned up BT
again and they realised there was an order on the system and it was due
to activate today 18th. They asked if I wanted to cancel. I said to
them if they can accept any other payment method I would leave the order
intact. No they can only do the direct debit with the whole bill -
something which is totally nonsensical. So they said they would cancel
it and arrange a collection of the hub. If they don't pick it up I am
flogging it on ebay. There is no way I am sending it back myself at my
own cost.

If it has been delivered to you in your name, I do not believe you are
under any obligation to return it, since you have no contract with them.
It is their stupid mistake.

Oh I am not going to return it at my own cost. Its up to them to collect
it.
Connection still here so I guess the cancellation went through.

Old December 18th 06, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 18 Dec 2006, "Beck" [email protected] wrote:

never been so grateful to be with Plusnet right now.

LOL. You'll have Jethro commenting in the negative when s/he sees that!

Bah I don't care. Some people fail to understand that others may actually
have a good service from them.