UK online P2P

Old December 18th 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
port119

Default UK online P2P

hi -in the last month everytime I try to use any P2P software my
internet connection drops to a slow rate - including the P2P download.
In fact sometimes when I start bittorrent my whole internet conneciton
dies.
I can download files over HTTP at very fast speeds fine, but as soon as
I start any P2P program my connection speed drops massively.

I know UKOnline has a fair usage policy, but they say they'll inform
you if they're going to cap you.

anyone else getting this?

thanks!
port119

Old December 18th 06, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"port119" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi -in the last month everytime I try to use any P2P software my
internet connection drops to a slow rate - including the P2P download.
In fact sometimes when I start bittorrent my whole internet conneciton
dies.
I can download files over HTTP at very fast speeds fine, but as soon as
I start any P2P program my connection speed drops massively.

I know UKOnline has a fair usage policy, but they say they'll inform
you if they're going to cap you.

anyone else getting this?

Not that I have noticed - what router are you using (If you are using one)?
What speed service are you on with UKOL?
What torrent software are you using?
What upload/download limits have you set in your torrent software?
Has this "just happened" or have you always seen this happen?
If it has just happened, have you changed your torrent software/router etc.?
Have you tried power cycling the router (ig you have one)?

Sparks...

Old December 18th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
port119

Sparks wrote:
"port119" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

hi, thanks for answering :
had 8M service
torrent : have tried lots: azaeurus, bicomet, utorrent - all same
results, even with obfuscation
upload/download : used to limited upload to 40k and unlimited download
- now I can't even get 20kbs without connection dying - eg : can't even
ping google
have even tried routing through SSH - no joy.
hasn't happened before - is a new thing. I even bought a new router cos
I thought it might be that - still happening

thanks,
port119

Old December 18th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"port119" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sparks wrote:
"port119" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Odd,

Do you have an NET5 master socket?
http://www.aurigaeurope.com/partners...es/nte5ext.jpg
If so, try taking off the lower face plate and connecting the router here,
this will *should*! disconnect all your internal wiring, to rule this out.

Have you tried a different filter?

What router do you have?

Have you tried a different port in your Torrent client?

I assume you have use port mapping/forwarding on the router to forward the
relevant ports to your Torrent PC?

Sparks...

Old December 18th 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Soruk

On 18 Dec 2006 12:10:05 -0800, port119 wrote:

had 8M service
torrent : have tried lots: azaeurus, bicomet, utorrent - all same
results, even with obfuscation

Try disabling DHT - in BitComet untick "Preferences - Advanced - Add DHT
Network as backup tracker" and "Preferences - Advanced/Connection -
Enable DHT Network".

Certainly fixed the problems I was having with my router.

Then again. Are you using WinXP? When I tried the torrent client on that
WinXP (Home) got rather upset and wouldn't even connect to other machines
on my local network.

I now run it under Windows 2000 (in a virtual machine on my Linux box).

WinXP apparently limits the number of connections you can have open at any
one time, and Bittorrent likes using loads of connections.

Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.MailMeAnywhere.com/ - Mobile email
Old December 19th 06, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

"port119" wrote:

hi -in the last month everytime I try to use any P2P software my
internet connection drops to a slow rate - including the P2P download.
In fact sometimes when I start bittorrent my whole internet conneciton
dies.
I can download files over HTTP at very fast speeds fine, but as soon as
I start any P2P program my connection speed drops massively.

I know UKOnline has a fair usage policy, but they say they'll inform
you if they're going to cap you.

anyone else getting this?

Traffic shaping perhaps?

--