Can I use a Speedtouch ADSL Modem instead of a router?

Old December 18th 06, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac

Default Can I use a Speedtouch ADSL Modem instead of a router?

Up to this weekend I've used a D-Link router and Apple Airport to get
Virgin Net broadband and create a wireless network for my iMac.

My router has just died, but I have a Speedtouch 300 ADSL modem that I
got free from the ISP. Can I connect the Speedtouch to the Airport via
USB and access broadband that way? Or do I need a new router?

I've never been sure of the difference between a router and an ADSL
modem so if anyone can tell me, that will be a big favour.

thanks, ANDREW

Old December 18th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Sparks

wrote in message
ups.com...
Up to this weekend I've used a D-Link router and Apple Airport to get
Virgin Net broadband and create a wireless network for my iMac.

My router has just died, but I have a Speedtouch 300 ADSL modem that I
got free from the ISP. Can I connect the Speedtouch to the Airport via
USB and access broadband that way? Or do I need a new router?

I've never been sure of the difference between a router and an ADSL
modem so if anyone can tell me, that will be a big favour.

thanks, ANDREW

No.

Your ADSL Router has an integrated ADSL modem, hard-wired to the router.
The Airport has a USB port, yes, but this will only support a printer.

An ADSL modem is stupid, it needs the PC to do all the hard work with regard
to decoding the ADSL signals, your airport does not have this power, it's
intelligence is limited to talking to printers via USB.

You can do one of two things, purchase a new router (Recommended but make
sure it is an ADSL Router, NOT a Cable router - the Netgear DG834G is one I
have used quite a lot, and have been perfectly happy with it.)

Or you can connect the USB modem directly to your PC (and install the
relevant drivers) but you WILL need to make sure you have a firewall
installed on the PC, as the router was providing this service before. The
windows firewall will do, but something like the free version of ZoneAlarm
is better.

What is up with the current router - just totally dead? - if so, have a look
at the power supply and see if you happen to have another one the same (The
voltage will need to be the same (Probably 5v), but the current can be rated
higher than the existing one) the polarity also needs to be the same
(usually the middle of the barrel connector is +, but this does vary
occasionally)

Sparks...

Old December 18th 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac

Thanks Sparks, that makes things a lot clearer. The router has just
frozen - the power light's on but it won't respond in any other way,
so it's gone back to the manufacturer. Guess I know why that modem was
free now! Cheers, ANDREW

Old December 18th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Sparks

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Sparks, that makes things a lot clearer. The router has just
frozen - the power light's on but it won't respond in any other way,
so it's gone back to the manufacturer. Guess I know why that modem was
free now! Cheers, ANDREW

No probs,

Have you actually sent it back already?

Did you tried a factory reset on it?
Did you try connecting the computer to it directly to it with an ethernet
cable, just to rule out and problems with the airport?

If they receive it and resetting it clears the problem, they may charge you
for shipping it back!

Sparks...

Old December 18th 06, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac

All of the above and more!
I've been on the blower to customer "service" centres in Canada and
India trying to get it to work to no avail.
It's already gone back to them as it's under warranty. i doubt I'll see
it til the middle of next year...

Old December 18th 06, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Sparks

wrote in message
ups.com...
All of the above and more!
I've been on the blower to customer "service" centres in Canada and
India trying to get it to work to no avail.
It's already gone back to them as it's under warranty. i doubt I'll see
it til the middle of next year...

Ah well, having a spare is always handy anyway!

....just don't try to connect them both up when you get the old one back!

Sparks...

Old December 21st 06, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Simon Dobbs

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:44:04 +0000, Simon Slavin wrote
(in article ):

I have a SpeedTouch 570 but there are equivalent boxes by NetGear and
other manufacturers.

Simon-
Do third party wireless routers support Airtunes (ie itunes to airport
express units)? At the moment I have a billion router with DHCP inactivated
ethernetted to an airport extreme module which acts as the router, but you
can't get the latter in the uk anymore, so when it dies....

Old December 30th 06, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Roger Merriman

Simon Dobbs wrote:

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:44:04 +0000, Simon Slavin wrote
(in article ):

I have a SpeedTouch 570 but there are equivalent boxes by NetGear and
other manufacturers.

Simon-
Do third party wireless routers support Airtunes (ie itunes to airport
express units)? At the moment I have a billion router with DHCP inactivated
ethernetted to an airport extreme module which acts as the router, but you
can't get the latter in the uk anymore, so when it dies....

do you mean airtunes simon? only the airport express supports airtunes,
ie the apple router you don't have.

if you mean can you share itunes libarys then yes unless there is
something very odd about your router. it will work fine.

roger