Renumber on ADSL line - Update

Old December 18th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bigbrian

Default Renumber on ADSL line - Update

A few days ago I posted on this...the basic issue is....

I want to change the phone number on my ADSL line, which BT say they
can action within 24 hours. The ISP on that line tell me that what will
then happen is that 7 days later
I'll lose my broadband facility on it as a result of a "PSTN cease" .
This will then take a further 7 days to reactivate (which will cost)
during which time I will have no connection at all on that line.

Since my original post, I've been in contact again with my ISP, who are
adamant that *all* renumbering requests, either for their customers or
anyone else's, inevitably involve a PSTN cease since they all use BT,
and there's no way that it be done without a cessation of service of 7
days or more. This was continually restated to me, even after I
mentioned the cases highlighted here in response to my earlier post,
saying that plenty of customers of other ISPs seem to have achieved
this with no problem.

I've contacted BT, and got the runaround through 6 different
departments, but eventually, after 40 minutes spoke to someone who
says it shouldn't make any difference, and that, as far as the
continuity of service is concerned, it wouldn't matter if I didn't
actually tell my ISP that I'd been renumbered....the service would
continue anyway. I would only be telling them for the purposes of
updating their records.

Rather than name the ISP at this stage, - I've generally been pretty
happy with their customer service - I've sent them a message pointing
out that I've raise the issue here, and inviting them to reply here
also

Any further advice at this stage gratefully received

Old December 18th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Patchy The Pirate

"bigbrian" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

When I moved into my house, BT provided me with a number advertised in the
yellow pages. I got endless calls asking for "some jointer" I finally asked
a caller where the number came from he said page so and so of the yellow
pages. I rang BT up explained to them the situation. They changed the
number through the night my broadband was never affected, that I know of.

I'm guessing but I don't know for sure (even though I work for OR) that the
number will be provided on your existing exchange equipment and that the
relevant ADSL equipment in the exchange won't get touched as It will all be
done remotley. No actual jumper man should have to do any exchage work. (I
think)

Patchy

Old December 18th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Patchy The Pirate wrote:
ups.com...

.
[...]

The problems come when the process falls into one of the many cracks
in the system & the broadband gets cut off a few months later as the
number it was provided on has been 'ceased'. It can happen & it's a
stinker when it happens as the end user then has to pay full wack to
be reconnected (only had 2 cases in 6 years so it's relatively rare)

Old December 19th 06, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maneate

"bigbrian" wrote in message
ups.com...
Any further advice at this stage gratefully received

There is one renumber scenario where Broadband service *could* be lost.

Under *Normal* circumstances, when a renumber is requested a number from the
same serving exchange unit (call a Concentrator [conc] if System X, or RSS
for AXE10) is allocated. So, when the renumber goes through, it is
effectively a software change on the exchange only, and does not effect the
cabling, bar pair, jumpering, etc, so the Broadband should not be effected.
This said, it is good practice to advise your ISP accordingly of the number
change so their records can be updated.

The *problem* scenario is when a number from a co-located conc or RSS is
selected instead of one from the same Conc or RSS. This may be because
there are no spare numbers on the existing conc/rss, or that a specific
number has been requested, or possibly other reasons. In this scenario
rejumpering work will be required on the frame to change which equipment the
line or bar-pair is connected to. This can, but does not always, result in
any Broadband service on the line being lost.

Depending on where you live, will also have an influence on the chances of
haveing numbers from different cons/rss's. For example, small village
exchanges may well only have one conc or RSS, so there is nothing to 'swap'
with. However towns, etc, willl have numerous conc's/rss's.

If you are not bothered about what the 'New' number is just ask them to make
sure that it is from the same conc/rss. You can usually tell this my making
sure the first part of the number is the same. eg. if your current number
was 01234 123456, and the new number allocated was 01234 125430 you are
fairly safe in betting its on the same conc/rss. However, if your current
number was 01234 123456, and the new number allocated was 01234 987654 the
chances of being on a different conc/rss are increased, but are not
guaranteed.

HATH