BT Account name change - follow up

Old December 18th 06, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Bypass

Default BT Account name change - follow up

I gave BT the go ahead to change the landline account into my name.
Following the advice given by Paul Cupis, I arranged the stop and
immediate restart with BT, in order to avoid any problems with the
broadband account already on the line. I passed the details (BT's order
numbers) to my ISP. I know they contacted BT directly.

The stop/restart was scheduled for 5pm this evening. Until 5 minutes
ago, I had forgotten all about it. I am now happy to report, that
provided the work was undertaken (which I won't really know until the
next BT account arrives) everything appears to have gone smoothly.

And the moral of this tale is? You can change the BT account holder's
name without screwing up an existing broadband account already on that line.

Once more, my thanks to Paul Cupis.
Old December 18th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Jono

Bypass has brought this to us :
I gave BT the go ahead to change the landline account into my name. Following
the advice given by Paul Cupis, I arranged the stop and immediate restart
with BT, in order to avoid any problems with the broadband account already on
the line. I passed the details (BT's order numbers) to my ISP. I know they
contacted BT directly.

The stop/restart was scheduled for 5pm this evening. Until 5 minutes ago, I
had forgotten all about it. I am now happy to report, that provided the work
was undertaken (which I won't really know until the next BT account arrives)
everything appears to have gone smoothly.

And the moral of this tale is? You can change the BT account holder's name
without screwing up an existing broadband account already on that line.

Once more, my thanks to Paul Cupis.

Erm, hopefully you are correct.......unfortunately, the ADSL cease
order may start when the PSTN cease order completes. ADSL cease may
take 5 days to complete. P'raps you might not know all went smoothly
for a little while yet.

Old December 18th 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Bypass

Jono wrote:

Erm, hopefully you are correct.......unfortunately, the ADSL cease order
may start when the PSTN cease order completes. ADSL cease may take 5
days to complete. P'raps you might not know all went smoothly for a
little while yet.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here because there there is no ADSL
cease order involved. In order to change the account holder name, BT
temporarily stop, then restart the land line. What can happen, in the
process, is that the ISP fails to respond to BT's 'stop' notice. That's
when the problems start. My request to BT, that they immediately
restart the line, following the stop, avoids any problems. In my case,
I placed the order for the stop on 10 December 2006. My ISP contacted
BT on 11 December 2005 to 'cancel the cease'. The stop happened at 5pm
today, followed by the restart at 5.01pm. Consequently, there is no '5
days' to worry about.

Old December 18th 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Jono

Bypass explained :
Jono wrote:

[...]

I was merely suggesting that if the ADSL cease has not been correctly
intercepted & stopped, you'll have to wait at least 5 days before you
can be confident that all's well.......the fact that ADSL is still
working is not an indication that it was all done as you asked.

Old December 19th 06, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Maneate

"Bypass" wrote in message
om...
Jono wrote:

[...]

When a STOP order is raised on a PSTN line that has Broadband, unless steps
have been taken to protect the Broadband service (insertion of CSS A-codes
or other steps), it triggers an message to BT Wholesale to start the cease
process for the Broadband. This trigger does not happen until the STOP
order closes (ie it is completed for the customer and all the activities
done with the BT CSS systems), and can then take 5 days or more to work its
way through the system.

Therefore you can get the situation where the STOP / START appears to go
smoothly, but some time down the road your Broadband 'mysteriously'
disappears. This often happens where business use Broadband on a PSTN they
use for no other purpose and forget to pay the PSTN bill. The PSTN gets
stopped by billing, but the Broadband carries on for sometime after. Then
it all gets very messy.

Hopefully, because you told the BT people that you wanted to retain the
Broadband from your ISP, and you have advised your ISP accordingly, you
should *hopefully* not have too many problems.

Old December 19th 06, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Jono

Maneate wrote on 19/12/2006 :
"Bypass" wrote in message
om...
Jono wrote:

[...]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

In fact, I didn't say it better myself!

Old December 20th 06, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Maneate

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..

Couldn't have said it better myself.

In fact, I didn't say it better myself!

Thank you. Its nice to recieve praise once in a while ;0)