Is it OK to remove NTL TV/FM diplexer ????

Old December 19th 06, 01:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Clegg

Default Is it OK to remove NTL TV/FM diplexer ????

Hello,

I've be re-routing the cabling for my NTL Digital TV / Broadband. The
cable currently enters the house and first goes through an NTL
installed splitter (diplexer??). This grey box has one input and two
outputs one labelled "TV" and the other "FM" which is just terminated.
The "TV" line then goes into a two-way splitter, one output going to
our set-top box and the other to our broadband modem.

As I want to put the splitters behind skirting board, can I remove the
first diplexer (assuming I don't want FM delivered by cable) and just
feed the incoming cable into the normal splitter ? I have tried it and
the set-top box and modem appear to be working ok. I just want to make
sure as it won't be very accessible if I find things aren't working.

Would removing this diplexer - remove the analogue TV signals that are
transmitted alongside the digital TV. I don't currently access these,
but I guess they might be useful.

Cheers,

Andy Clegg

Old December 19th 06, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"Andy Clegg" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No,

This "thing" is also an isolator, it isolates your stuff from the rest of
the NTL network, so if your box went faulty and mains ended up feeding down
your CATV cable, it would stop here.

This box is property of NTL and should not be arsed about with really.

The splitter needs to be accessible, as they can fail - if it is behind your
skirting board, then this will have to be removed to change the splitter.

Why do you want to put it behind the skirting?

NTL used to move the isolator outside, but don't seem to be doing that
anymore, so you could just put it in the box outside, then put your splitter
in the wall box the isolator was in - not strictly OK, but as they used to
do it anyway, I can't see them doing anything about it if they find it.

Sparks...

Old December 19th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Clegg

Sparks,

Thanks for your reply - I will leave it in-situ. The reason for wanting
to hide the box and cabling is because I have the opportunity to do so
as the skirting is being replaced and there was a nice void where it
would fit nicely. I take your point about things failing and will see
if I can come up with a location that is hidden but still accessible.

Thanks,

Andy Clegg