Connecting to wanadoo/orange using wireless Apple Powerbook ?!?!

Old December 19th 06, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JGW

Default Connecting to wanadoo/orange using wireless Apple Powerbook ?!?!

Does anyone know if this is possible ? I have a G4 powerbook with
built in wireless capability. I can't use the provided wireless USB.

Thanks.

Old December 19th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

JGW wrote:
Does anyone know if this is possible ? I have a G4 powerbook with
built in wireless capability. I can't use the provided wireless
USB.

Thanks.

Try getting a wireless DSL router then

Old December 19th 06, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 19 Dec 2006, "kráftéé" wrote:

JGW wrote:

Does anyone know if this is possible ? I have a G4 powerbook with
built in wireless capability. I can't use the provided wireless USB.

Try getting a wireless DSL router then

Surely the problem is associated with the settings for the wireless: don't
Orange provide a wireless enabled ADSL modem/router anyway, and this is a
problem of connecting to it, because the EU happens to have something not
based on MS Windows - something probably leaving support staff feeling a
bit out of their depth - or as likely, "We don't support Apple, sir, so
sorry, but you cannot use Orange Internet at all" - it's what I'd expect
many an ISP to say if they provide kit, and USB dongle, but have no Clue.

[PS for the original poster, sorry, have not touched any kit on Orange/
Wanadoo/Freeserve for ages, certainly not had sight of the latest units
which might be custom Netgear models, and personally prefer cables over
wireless kit anytime, for greater speeds and high reliability, too. ]
Old December 19th 06, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

NoNeedToKnow wrote:
On 19 Dec 2006, "kráftéé" wrote:

JGW wrote:

Does anyone know if this is possible ? I have a G4 powerbook with
built in wireless capability. I can't use the provided wireless
USB.

Try getting a wireless DSL router then

Surely the problem is associated with the settings for the wireless:
don't Orange provide a wireless enabled ADSL modem/router anyway,
and
this is a problem of connecting to it, because the EU happens to
have
something not based on MS Windows - something probably leaving
support staff feeling a bit out of their depth - or as likely, "We
don't support Apple, sir, so sorry, but you cannot use Orange
Internet at all" - it's what I'd expect many an ISP to say if they
provide kit, and USB dongle, but have no Clue.

Suggest reading the OP as it clearly states USB modem.

But don't let that bother you...

Old December 19th 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 19 Dec 2006, "kráftéé" wrote:

Suggest reading the OP as it clearly states USB modem.

But don't let that bother you...

"I can't use the provided wireless USB."

Or was there some other thread you were looking at that I've missed?

I simply assumed that it was a USB-connected 802.11x unit, the like of
which I have here... Of course, since the OP has a wireless enabled
Apple system, there'd be no need to use something (which probably has
Windows XP driver software supplied on CD) external to his Apple.
Old December 19th 06, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:23:50 -0000, "kráftéé"
wrote:

NoNeedToKnow wrote:
On 19 Dec 2006, "kráftéé" wrote:

JGW wrote:

Does anyone know if this is possible ? I have a G4 powerbook with
built in wireless capability. I can't use the provided wireless
USB.

Try getting a wireless DSL router then

Surely the problem is associated with the settings for the wireless:
don't Orange provide a wireless enabled ADSL modem/router anyway,
and
this is a problem of connecting to it, because the EU happens to
have
something not based on MS Windows - something probably leaving
support staff feeling a bit out of their depth - or as likely, "We
don't support Apple, sir, so sorry, but you cannot use Orange
Internet at all" - it's what I'd expect many an ISP to say if they
provide kit, and USB dongle, but have no Clue.

Suggest reading the OP as it clearly states USB modem.

But don't let that bother you...

I interpreted it as the OP is trying to use a wireless USB adapter. If
this is the case then depending on the brand it will probably not have
drivers for the mac and will never work.

But this doesn't matter as you have already stated that the computer
has built in wireless anyway, so just use that instead. Problem
solved.
Old December 20th 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JGW

wrote:

NoNeedToKnow wrote:
On 19 Dec 2006, "kráftéé" wrote:

JGW wrote:

[...]

My bad explanation hasn't helped then. Then USB device is provided by
Orange/Wanadoo and only works with Microsoft OS. I can see the network
with my built in Airport Card, but can't join. The Orange manual says
I should insert the Windows XP CD and follow the instructions - but
that isn't going to happen. Just wondered if anyone had any tips or
tricks around this.

Somebody mentioned that I need to add myself to the Access list ?!?!?
Any thoughts.

Old December 20th 06, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deryck

JGW wrote:
Does anyone know if this is possible ? I have a G4 powerbook with
built in wireless capability. I can't use the provided wireless USB.

Thanks.

You need a Windows PC to set the Livebox up (unfortunately) but you dont
need it after set up. Perhaps you could borrow a mate's PC (ideally a
laptop ) install the software on that, get the livebox up and running
and then remove the software from the borrowed PC and then remove the
PC altogether?

I have 2 windows laptops connected wirelessly to my livebox plus a Linux
box and a network printer both by ethernet as well as a phone (for the
free calls). When the laptops are off the Linux box works perfectly well
and I assume the same would be true for a wireless G4.

HTH

Deryck