ADSL2+ modem / router

Old December 22nd 06, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lei Hu

Default ADSL2+ modem / router

Hi there,

I don't know if this is the right group for my question, but I couldn't find
any others.

When manufacturers say this modem/router supports ADSL2+, do they mean the
modem part, the router part, or both? To be more specific, if I buy an
ADSL2+ modem, can I use it with my existing normal ADSL router to support my
new ADSL2+ connection?

Thanks in advance!

Lei

Old December 22nd 06, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Lei Hu" wrote in message
Hi there,

I don't know if this is the right group for my question, but I couldn't
find any others.

When manufacturers say this modem/router supports ADSL2+, do they mean the
modem part, the router part, or both? To be more specific, if I buy an
ADSL2+ modem, can I use it with my existing normal ADSL router to support
my new ADSL2+ connection?

Thanks in advance!

Almost certainly not.

Very few ADSL routers actually route between anything other than the ADSL
phone line connection and the ethernet/wireless side.
As the ADSL2+ modem uses the phone line there is nothing to connect to the
old ADSL routers phone connection to.

If you have an expensive Cisco style router that has modular bits then
maybe.

Just buy an ADSL2+ router and bin the old one (eBay is a good bin, its full
of people that will buy any old junk).

There may be a firmware update to enable ADSL2+ on your router.
If you had posted what model you have then it would be easy to answer.

Old December 22nd 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Lei Hu wrote:

Hi there,

I don't know if this is the right group for my question, but I couldn't find
any others.

When manufacturers say this modem/router supports ADSL2+, do they mean the
modem part, the router part, or both?

The modem part. That's the onlt bit that needs to be different.

To be more specific, if I buy an
ADSL2+ modem, can I use it with my existing normal ADSL router to support my
new ADSL2+ connection?

A modem can't replace a router.

If you want to do that you need an ADSL2+ router. Do you have multiple PCs
connected ? May ppl get confused about the router function.

Popular terminology is often confusing in this regard. Why not be more specific
and explain exactly what you have and what you want to buy ?

Graham

Old December 22nd 06, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"[email protected]" wrote:

[...]

I'll bet you just made him 10 times more confused still.

Graham

Old December 23rd 06, 03:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

([email protected] should stay at home and learn a bit more ;-)

The ADSL2+ is just a standard for faster broadband modem, up to 24Mb/s.
(ADSL 8Mb/s)

So the answer is theoretical YES.
You *could* connect ADSL2+ modem to the phone line, then via ethernet lead
use your old router.
BUT I am not aware there are any pure ADSL2+ stand alone modems, (there are
very few ADSL ones e.g. D-Link T300).
Not many routers can accept ethernet input (by passing their own modem), can
yours ?
Regards,
Martin

Old December 23rd 06, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Martin²" wrote in message
([email protected] should stay at home and learn a bit more ;-)

The ADSL2+ is just a standard for faster broadband modem, up to 24Mb/s.
(ADSL 8Mb/s)

So the answer is theoretical YES.
You *could* connect ADSL2+ modem to the phone line, then via ethernet lead
use your old router.

That would depend on the old router which as I said the OP didn't bather to
tell us.

BUT I am not aware there are any pure ADSL2+ stand alone modems, (there
are very few ADSL ones e.g. D-Link T300).

I bet you didn't look at expensive boxes though.

Not many routers can accept ethernet input (by passing their own modem),
can yours ?

Yes.
But I use the Sky supplied one as its adequate.