Wireless Network + Netgear Settings?

Old December 25th 06, 07:59 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
george

Default Wireless Network + Netgear Settings?

Hi All
I set up a home network, 2 sony vaios both with wireless receivers and a
wireless netgear router. I am trying to secure the network and so far I
chose the wep encryprion and I restricted access only to my to pc's ip
addresses. It would seem that it is a good idea not to broadcast the network
name. When I select do not broadcast network name on wireless router
settings, both computers then lose connection and I don't know how to
re-connect them, because there is no network detected by name and no prompt
for me to enter the network name anywhere. Any ideas?
George

Old December 25th 06, 08:27 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

"george" wrote in message
Hi All
I set up a home network, 2 sony vaios both with wireless receivers and a
wireless netgear router. I am trying to secure the network and so far I
chose the wep encryprion and I restricted access only to my to pc's ip
addresses. It would seem that it is a good idea not to broadcast the
network name. When I select do not broadcast network name on wireless
router settings, both computers then lose connection and I don't know how
to re-connect them, because there is no network detected by name and no
prompt for me to enter the network name anywhere. Any ideas?
George

Use WPA and let it broadcast the network name.
WPA is more secure and hiding the name doesn't help security.

Old December 26th 06, 03:37 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

"[email protected]" wrote in message

"george" wrote in message
Hi All
I set up a home network, 2 sony vaios both with wireless receivers and a
wireless netgear router. I am trying to secure the network and so far I
chose the wep encryprion and I restricted access only to my to pc's ip
addresses. It would seem that it is a good idea not to broadcast the
network name. When I select do not broadcast network name on wireless
router settings, both computers then lose connection and I don't know how
to re-connect them, because there is no network detected by name and no
prompt for me to enter the network name anywhere. Any ideas?
George

Use WPA and let it broadcast the network name.
WPA is more secure and hiding the name doesn't help security.

Hiding the name does help security. Both PCs are set incorrectly or trying
to connect to a network other than your own. You need to delete the
connections off each, then set it up again filling in the details of the
SSID and WPA-PSK key. The PC will remember it and you do not need to
broadcast the SSID.
You tell windows that the network does not appear in the list and to add it
yourself.

You can always look at www.practicallynetworked.com

Hi
Thanks for your responses/efforts. It is irrelevant to my questions whether
or not broadcasting the network name increases security or which encryption
to use . My questions are HOW to tell windows that the network does not
appear in the list and HOW to connect to it when the network name is not
broadcast?

Old December 26th 06, 12:25 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , george
writes
Hi All
I set up a home network, 2 sony vaios both with wireless receivers and a
wireless netgear router. I am trying to secure the network and so far I
chose the wep encryprion and I restricted access only to my to pc's ip
addresses. It would seem that it is a good idea not to broadcast the network
name. When I select do not broadcast network name on wireless router
settings, both computers then lose connection and I don't know how to
re-connect them, because there is no network detected by name and no prompt
for me to enter the network name anywhere. Any ideas?
George

There is a known problem with Windows XP and networks with hidden SSIDs

See

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907405

I would simply leave the SSID visible. That fixes it.

As I understand there is a different security problem with hidden
SSID's. The network may not broadcast its SSID, but whenever the laptop
is disconnected ( say when you are out of the house with it) it
repeatedly tries to connect to the "hidden" network - broadcasting
your apparently hidden SSID in the attempt.

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old December 26th 06, 01:54 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

"Mike" wrote in message

Hiding the name does help security.

No it doesn't.
Anyone who wants to connect to your network is not going to be effected by
hiding the name.
It doesn't stop the network name being found either as its easy to find the
SSID using freely available software..
At best it stops accidental intrution.. but as WPA/WEP will stop this it is
pointless.
All you are doing is making it harder for the legitimate users.

Old December 26th 06, 02:09 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"george" wrote in message

[snip]

Hi
Thanks for your responses/efforts. It is irrelevant to my
questions whether or not broadcasting the network name
increases security or which encryption to use . My
questions are HOW to tell windows that the network does
not appear in the list and HOW to connect to it when the
network name is not broadcast?

Using a wired connection, set up the wireless system so that the SSID *is*
broadcast. Then it will allow the wireless clients to connect.

Then, once they have all done so, turn off SSID broadcasting. The clients
will still be able to connect.

Ivor

Old December 26th 06, 02:11 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"[email protected]" wrote in
message
"Mike" wrote in message

Hiding the name does help security.

No it doesn't.
Anyone who wants to connect to your network is not going
to be effected by hiding the name.
It doesn't stop the network name being found either as
its easy to find the SSID using freely available
software.. At best it stops accidental intrution.. but as WPA/WEP
will stop this it is pointless.
All you are doing is making it harder for the legitimate
users.

Eh..? Legitimate users will be able to get in anyway.

At least hiding the SSID can deter casual access.

Ivor

Old December 26th 06, 02:13 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Invalid" wrote in message
news
[snip]

As I understand there is a different security problem
with hidden SSID's. The network may not broadcast its
SSID, but whenever the laptop is disconnected ( say when
you are out of the house with it) it repeatedly tries to
connect to the "hidden" network - broadcasting your
apparently hidden SSID in the attempt.

Not if you turn off wireless when you're not using it, it won't..! Why
waste battery power trying to connect to a network that you know isn't
there..?

Ivor

Old December 26th 06, 07:07 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
george

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"george" wrote in message

[snip]

Hi
Thanks for your responses/efforts. It is irrelevant to my
questions whether or not broadcasting the network name
increases security or which encryption to use . My
questions are HOW to tell windows that the network does
not appear in the list and HOW to connect to it when the
network name is not broadcast?

Using a wired connection, set up the wireless system so that the SSID *is*
broadcast. Then it will allow the wireless clients to connect.

Then, once they have all done so, turn off SSID broadcasting. The clients
will still be able to connect.

Ivor

Thanks for your response - exacttly what I did, at which point both pcs lose
connections. How do I re-connect them when windows is not finding the
network name and not prompting me to provide one???
George