I need a cross-platform softphone

Old January 2nd 07, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

Default I need a cross-platform softphone

I need a Java-based cross-platform softphone. I have found several
Java softphones by cruising the 'Net, but they all say they are for
Windows only.

Background/Tale of Woe/Warning to the unwary: I intended to set up a
VoIP
capability using an adapter and analog phone, so purchased a Linksys
PAP2T-NA (the "NA" means it's unlocked), and opened an account with
VOIPcheap; I configured the device according to the directions on
their
website, and it worked quite well. Because of the limited and
inconvenient
options for payment, I decided to switch to iConnect, which is really
Delta3, using their Bring Your Own Device option. Through my own
carelessness, I did not realize that they were going to provision it,
but
they did -- and from that moment on, the device is inoperable; they
killed it. The verdict of Linksys Tech Support is that it is not
repairable.
The Tech support people inspected my proof of purchase and determined
that they should replace it as defective, so passed me to the RMA team

to coordinate the details. Those people checked the serial number, and

noticed that the device had been sold to Vonage (therefore was
locked),
and I should take up replacement with Vonage customer service. Of
course, Vonage is not going to be interested in replacing a
pirated/hacked/unlocked device. The store where I bought it
(advertised
as an "NA" unit and so described on the invoice), which is presumably
the place that busted the lock, and which is far away back in the US,
has
so far failed to reply to my request for advice, and I doubt that he
will
be as broadminded as Linksys Tech Support. So I am up the creek
without
the proverbial paddle as far as that adapter (pardon me, "Paper
Weight") is
concerned, and will have to spring for a new one. Caveat, all you
potential
Emptors.

I have found another provider, and he has sworn to me that he will not
try
to configure it. Until I can get a new adapter, several weeks will go
by,
but I could use this new service with a softphone. So to repeat the
query:
Does anyone know if there is a cross-platform Java-based softphone?

Old January 2nd 07, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

Stan wrote:
I need a Java-based cross-platform softphone. I have found several
Java softphones by cruising the 'Net, but they all say they are for
Windows only.

Background/Tale of Woe/Warning to the unwary: I intended to set up a
VoIP
capability using an adapter and analog phone, so purchased a Linksys
PAP2T-NA (the "NA" means it's unlocked), and opened an account with

No it doesn't, "NA" means North America. Ones sold in the UK should say
"PAP2-UK". I'd get back onto whoever you bought this off and get them
to replace it with one that isn't an ex-Vonage device.

Cheers,
Paul.

[snip]
Old January 2nd 07, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-01-02, Stan wrote:

I need a Java-based cross-platform softphone. I have found several
Java softphones by cruising the 'Net, but they all say they are for
Windows only.

SIP Communicator. It's alpha quality. Is there an overwhelming reason
for the phone to be Java-based?

[Adventures with a PAP2T-NA snipped]

The store where I bought it (advertised as an "NA" unit and so
described on the invoice), which is presumably the place that busted
the lock, and which is far away back in the US, has so far failed to
reply to my request for advice, and I doubt that he will be as
broadminded as Linksys Tech Support.

Can the identity of the store be revealed?

Brian.
Old January 2nd 07, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article [email protected],
Stan wrote:
I need a Java-based cross-platform softphone. I have found several
Java softphones by cruising the 'Net, but they all say they are for
Windows only.

Why Java?

There are a few softphones that do work under Win, Linux and Mac. Eg.

http://www.asteriskguru.com/idefisk/free/

which supports IAX only, or for SIP try:

http://www.xten.com/index.php?menu=download

Gordon
Old January 2nd 07, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 15:05:56 UTC, Brian opined:
On 2007-01-02, Stan wrote:

I need a Java-based cross-platform softphone. I have found several
Java softphones by cruising the 'Net, but they all say they are for
Windows only.

SIP Communicator. It's alpha quality. Is there an overwhelming reason
for the phone to be Java-based?

I saw that in my web browsing. For "Java", read "cross-platform". I've
given that up, however, and have installed a Windows softphone
(X-Lite) on a Windows partition on a laptop machine. Tomorrow
I'll try to make telephone calls with it.

[Adventures with a PAP2T-NA snipped]

The store where I bought it (advertised as an "NA" unit and so
described on the invoice), which is presumably the place that busted
the lock, and which is far away back in the US, has so far failed to
reply to my request for advice, and I doubt that he will be as
broadminded as Linksys Tech Support.

Can the identity of the store be revealed?

I will definitely do that in as many places as possible, once I have
given them an opportunity to refute or explain the accusation.

Brian.

--
Stan

Old January 2nd 07, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:49:19 UTC, Paul
opined:
Stan wrote:
I need a Java-based cross-platform softphone. I have found several
Java softphones by cruising the 'Net, but they all say they are for
Windows only.

Background/Tale of Woe/Warning to the unwary: I intended to set up a
VoIP
capability using an adapter and analog phone, so purchased a Linksys
PAP2T-NA (the "NA" means it's unlocked), and opened an account with

No it doesn't, "NA" means North America. Ones sold in the UK should say
"PAP2-UK". I'd get back onto whoever you bought this off and get them
to replace it with one that isn't an ex-Vonage device.

Cheers,
Paul.

[snip]

I'm sure you know what you are talking about, especially if units sold
in the UK do have the "-UK" suffic. I had been told (actually had
read) that the "-NA" meant unlocked. I can't think why geographical
suffixes would be necessary: the 'Net looks pretty much the same
wherever on the globe you see it.

As I said, I have written to the store, told them of the verdict of
Linksys, and asked for their reaction and advice, since which I have
heard nothing from them. On the prudent assumption that the silence
represents evasion, I've written to Vonage and described the situation
-- which drew a formletter response inviting me to subscribe to
Vonage. When I get set up with a softphone in a day or two, I will
give Vonage a ring and try to find a human to hear me out.

--
Stan

Old January 2nd 07, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Stan wrote:

I'm sure you know what you are talking about, especially if units sold
in the UK do have the "-UK" suffic. I had been told (actually had
read) that the "-NA" meant unlocked. I can't think why geographical
suffixes would be necessary: the 'Net looks pretty much the same
wherever on the globe you see it.

The suffix is mainly about what kind of power supply comes in the box.

The -EU ones have a 2 pin adaptor.

You get into trouble for selling mains devices to consumers without a 3
pin plug. Bundling converters is not acceptable.

If you are in the UK (which I suspect you aren't), you can get a nice
new UK spec one very easily.

Tim
(who has sold loads of linksys/sipura voip stuff, in the UK)
Old January 3rd 07, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Tim Bray:
Stan wrote:

I'm sure you know what you are talking about, especially if units
sold in the UK do have the "-UK" suffic. I had been told (actually
had read) that the "-NA" meant unlocked. I can't think why
geographical suffixes would be necessary: the 'Net looks pretty much
the same wherever on the globe you see it.

The suffix is mainly about what kind of power supply comes in the box.

The -EU ones have a 2 pin adaptor.

You get into trouble for selling mains devices to consumers without a
3 pin plug. Bundling converters is not acceptable.

If you are in the UK (which I suspect you aren't), you can get a nice
new UK spec one very easily.

Tim
(who has sold loads of linksys/sipura voip stuff, in the UK)

The PAP2 I bought had the mains adapter where you slot on either the UK
plug or Euro plug (came with both). Like many of the laptops we supply,
they have the same arrangement, with USA plug and Australian plug to
slot on as well as the Euro and USA.

Old January 3rd 07, 06:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 00:00:54 UTC, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
opined:
Thus spaketh Tim Bray:
Stan wrote:

[...]

That is correct; it's a clever solution. Mine came with the US part
only, although I had ordered it with a European part, so I had to buy
a 5-volt supply locally.

Also correct is that "-NA" means "unlocked", not "North America". I
suppose that the mistaken assumption was a result of understandable
back-formation (aka "folk etymology") from "-EU".

Old January 3rd 07, 06:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stan

On 2007-01-02, Stan wrote:

I need a Java-based cross-platform softphone. I have found several
Java softphones by cruising the 'Net, but they all say they are for
Windows only.

SIP Communicator. It's alpha quality. Is there an overwhelming reason
for the phone to be Java-based?

[Adventures with a PAP2T-NA snipped]

The store where I bought it (advertised as an "NA" unit and so
described on the invoice), which is presumably the place that busted
the lock, and which is far away back in the US, has so far failed to
reply to my request for advice, and I doubt that he will be as
broadminded as Linksys Tech Support.

Can the identity of the store be revealed?

Brian.

To update: The store replied today, denying that they had monkeyed
with the device, and claiming that they buy all their Linksys
equipment from one of the only two wholesalers in the US franchised to
sell these things (giving the name). I am inclined to believe them,
and am glad I didn't bandy their name about without proof. They asked
for the serial number and MAC address, so they can track it down. I
suspect that the woman at Linksys has goofed, that the device is
legitimate, and that they will clear up the error and replace the
device -- that's a much more palatable outcome than finding who
perpetrated a fraud.