Porting Vonage numbers

Old January 5th 07, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

Default Porting Vonage numbers

Vonage number apparently succesfully ported to voip.co.uk today. Let's see
if it stays that way!

Old January 5th 07, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:53:20 GMT, "Herman"
wrote:

Vonage number apparently succesfully ported to voip.co.uk today. Let's
see
if it stays that way!

Hi Herman could you please tell us how you went about it .

From my side, raising a ticket with voip.co.uk and filling out a porting
form. I believe it is also simple for voip.co.uk (as it was the same
carrier) and I believe they handled it directly (rather than passing it on
to Gamma).

Oh it did also take a bit of chasing, but it was the holidays.

My only doubt is that the Vonage account still shows as active, so I have
sent them a cancellation e-mail now just to be sure...

Old January 6th 07, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:34:15 GMT, "Herman"
wrote:

From my side, raising a ticket with voip.co.uk and filling out a porting
form. I believe it is also simple for voip.co.uk (as it was the same
carrier) and I believe they handled it directly (rather than passing it on
to Gamma).

Thanks for info Herman I will give it a go no point in paying for
Vonage now my Freetalk contract is at an end , I still reckon Vonage
are the best in the business providing you can make full use of the
free calls.

I think it all depends what you want. If you want an out of the box
all-in-one solution that you don't mind paying extra for then Vonage is the
solution. This was what I wanted at first to prove the concept of using
VoIP (reliability etc.)

However, if you don't mind tinkering AND want to save more money, there are
better solutions out there. For me, it is cheaper to use an ATA with
multiple SIP accounts which I can route transparently. That way I can take
advantage of the Finarea offerings and change as the deals change. And I
still have a reliable VoIP-in account through voip.co.uk.

BTW, there are probably other providers out there using Gamma which it would
work for (in theory).

Old January 6th 07, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:14:00 GMT, "Herman"
wrote:

I think it all depends what you want. If you want an out of the box
all-in-one solution that you don't mind paying extra for then Vonage is
the
solution. This was what I wanted at first to prove the concept of using
VoIP (reliability etc.)

My first steps into the world of VOIP where not very happy ones thanks
to a certain subscriber to this forum who spoke extremely highly of a
certain VOIP provider that my experience of them told me they where
total RUBBISH .Had the thought not come to me that I had started of at
the extreme rock bottom which subsequent events confirmed that my
thoughts where correct I could very easily have given up and stuck
with fixed lines . Quite a few people here mentioned voipfone.co.uk
at the time and I signed up with them and have never looked back I
also got a line from voip.co.uk who are ok and I am still using the
line but I just do not think they are quite has professional in many
ways as voipfone .
ON the other hand Vonage do provide a very good service and even at
7.99 a month with all free UK calls thrown in, even if you only make
one or two calls in a month Vonage just has to be a minimum of three
pounds a month cheaper than BT and Telewest .

Like I say, depends what you want. If you want a feature-packed landline
replacement either as a primary or second line, Vonage is the best value
solution (number portability being the big issue). If you want a cheap VoIP
line (and are OK to play about with configuration) go for one or more of the
cheaper services. That's why I like the FritzBox - you can pick and choose
who you use dependent on value and performance.

Regarding Sipgate, I won't express an opinion, as I hope we can avoid going
over old ground... Suffice it to say I'd prefer not to have another thread
hijacked by a rather polar argument between you and Ivor... Any regular
posters will already have their opinions by now.

Old January 6th 07, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message
.uk

[snip]

I have to admit, Sipgate has been pretty reliable, other
than less than one handfull of short occassions.

My biggest annoyance with them, what really did p*ss me
off, was no longer being able to forward calls from
IPKall through them.

Yes that annoyed me too, there are moves underway to rectify the problem,
but I don't know the current status. I currently forward my IPKall numbers
to FWD accounts, which come in as extra accounts on my Fritz!Box and route
to the same phones as they did when routed to Sipgate. The FWD numbers
also have the advantage of giving free access to US 1-800 freephone
numbers.

Ivor

Old January 6th 07, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
.uk...

I have to admit, Sipgate has been pretty reliable, other than less than
one handfull of short occassions.

Just out of interest, what's the proportion of your calls to other VoIP
users vs calls to PSTN?

Old January 6th 07, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Herman:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in
message .uk...

I have to admit, Sipgate has been pretty reliable, other than less
than one handfull of short occassions.

Just out of interest, what's the proportion of your calls to other
VoIP users vs calls to PSTN?

At the moment it's down to around 10% of calls are VoIP - VoIP.
Old January 9th 07, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

was thinking very hard :

today is Wednesday .

No it's not.

Old January 9th 07, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

wrote in message

Surprise surprise all done and dusted within FOUR HOURS yesterday
couldn't beleive it today is Wednesday .

Yes, I think I was the guinea pig.

Make sure you cancel Vonage as this is not done automatically by voip.co.uk
as with conventional porting. The retentions team is the first department
in Vonage I have found to only be open 1.30pm to 11pm. No surprise there
then...

They offered me a couple of deals but nothing enticing enough (4.99 a month
or free for two months).

By the way it's Tuesday, but then I guess you knew that...