ATA in student halls of residence

Old January 8th 07, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hana

Default ATA in student halls of residence

Hi,

I know this has been asked before and I've been reading past posts but
I can't see that anyone has managed to use an ATA for this purpose.

I have bought a Linksys SPA2000 and a cordless VOIP phone for my
daughter and I'm hoping to be able to set this up for her when she goes
back to Uni next week.

Can someone please tell me whether this would be possible in a halls of
residence situation that has only 1 ethernet cable connection per room.

Many thanks,

Hana

Old January 8th 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Hana" wrote in message
oups.com
Hi,

I know this has been asked before and I've been reading
past posts but I can't see that anyone has managed to use
an ATA for this purpose.

I have bought a Linksys SPA2000 and a cordless VOIP phone
for my daughter and I'm hoping to be able to set this up
for her when she goes back to Uni next week.

Can someone please tell me whether this would be possible
in a halls of residence situation that has only 1
ethernet cable connection per room.

It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch to the incoming
connection and plug whatever you want into there.

Whether the university's IT dept will block the required ports or not is
another matter.

Ivor

Old January 8th 07, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hana

It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch to the incoming
connection and plug whatever you want into there.

Hi Ivor,
Thanks for replying.
Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?
If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I can do about
that?

Thanks, Hana

Old January 8th 07, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Hana" wrote in message
oups.com
It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch
to the incoming connection and plug whatever you want
into there.

Hi Ivor,
Thanks for replying.
Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?

Yes, although a switch would be better.

If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I
can do about that?

No. Unless you can persuade them that they should, which is unlikely.

Ivor

Old January 8th 07, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:14:33 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Hana" wrote in message
roups.com
It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch
to the incoming connection and plug whatever you want
into there.

Hi Ivor,
Thanks for replying.
Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?

Yes, although a switch would be better.

If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I
can do about that?

No. Unless you can persuade them that they should, which is unlikely.

Ivor

There is a solution, if ports are being blocked. This is to use a
Virtual Private Network connection.
This company is planning to offer this service. I don't know of other
companies that are offering this.
http://www.callwithus.com/

They say:-
" Coming soon.
SIP over VPN. Some ISP block VOIP traffic to push their own VOIP
services to customers. We offer VPN (virtual private network)
connection to our server to avoid provider's blocks. Stay connected!
We expect a high success rate. Contact us if you wish to participate
in beta-testing of SIP over VPN service. "
The UK rate is US1.2c/min ( equivalent to 0.62p/min at current
exchange rates).
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 8th 07, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PeterW

"Ivor Jones" wrote in
:

"Hana" wrote in message
oups.com
It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch
to the incoming connection and plug whatever you want
into there.

Hi Ivor,
Thanks for replying.
Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?

Yes, although a switch would be better.

If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I
can do about that?

No. Unless you can persuade them that they should, which is unlikely.

Ivor

My daughter uses the "idefisk" IAX client and a USB handset from her
University room to an Asterisk server I run. This works fine. SIP can be a
lot more problematic because of NAT.

If you find SIP blocked, try a free call with the Voipcheap.com [*not
voipcheap.co.uk*] client. This uses a single IP port. The Tesco VoIP
service is IAX based but relatively expensive.

Peter
Old January 8th 07, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:17:56 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:14:33 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Hana" wrote in message
groups.com
[...]

This is also another possible solution. I've not tried it yet but it
looks interesting.
http://www.realtunnel.com/index.jsp?page=Sip
It is intended to work, afaik, with a soft phone only, x-lite I think.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 9th 07, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ross Beer

Hana wrote:
Hi,

I know this has been asked before and I've been reading past posts but
I can't see that anyone has managed to use an ATA for this purpose.

I have bought a Linksys SPA2000 and a cordless VOIP phone for my
daughter and I'm hoping to be able to set this up for her when she goes
back to Uni next week.

Can someone please tell me whether this would be possible in a halls of
residence situation that has only 1 ethernet cable connection per room.

Many thanks,

Hana

Hi,

A lot of universities do allow VoIP however the device would probably
need to be registered to allow it on the network. Normally this is free
and only requires the MAC address of the device, see the Universities IT
service desk for more info. They are normally very helpful.

As someone has mentioned, you will require a hub/switch if the ATA/Phone
does not have one built in, to allow multiple devices to connect to
the network.

Ross

-----------------------
Ross Beer BSc
VoiceHost Support
W:www.voicehost.co.uk
Old January 10th 07, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Ross Beer wrote:

A lot of universities do allow VoIP however the device would probably
need to be registered to allow it on the network. Normally this is free
and only requires the MAC address of the device, see the Universities IT
service desk for more info. They are normally very helpful.

Yes.

And if they only allow one registered mac per room, then use something
link an SPA-2102 which has a nat router, and you can change its mac address.

Tim
Old January 10th 07, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Tim wrote :
Ross Beer wrote:

A lot of universities do allow VoIP however the device would probably
need to be registered to allow it on the network. Normally this is free
and only requires the MAC address of the device, see the Universities IT
service desk for more info. They are normally very helpful.

Yes.

And if they only allow one registered mac per room, then use something
link an SPA-2102 which has a nat router, and you can change its mac address.

Tim

Which also has a 10/100Mb WAN port, as we know (if you're the same Tim
I think you are...)