A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

Odd problem with voip.co.uk



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 10th 07, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adam Lipscombe
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 75
Default Odd problem with voip.co.uk

Folks


I have an odd problem with my VOIP.


My LinkSys PAP2 is connected to a BT Business Hub (aka 2Wire 2700) router.
The PAP2 is set up in the router DMZ - i.e. no firewall.
2 other PC's are connected to the same router.


Outbound calling always seems to work.

But, inbound calling does not work when both the other PC's are turned off.
Callers hear a message "this number is temporarily unavailable".
The "Phone 1" LED on the PAP2 does not light up.

As soon as at least one of the PC's is booted up the Inbound calling works fine.
The "Phone 1" LED on the PAP2 lights up.

I have checked the router timeout and it is set to 0 - no timeout.
Also the router logs don't seem to show that it is dropping the line.


I have no idea what could cause this. Any ideas?


Thanks - Adam
  #2  
Old January 10th 07, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ale.cx
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 63
Default Odd problem with voip.co.uk


Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Folks


I have an odd problem with my VOIP.


My LinkSys PAP2 is connected to a BT Business Hub (aka 2Wire 2700) router.
The PAP2 is set up in the router DMZ - i.e. no firewall.
2 other PC's are connected to the same router.


How many WAN IP addresses have you got? Have you tried assigning a
different one to your ATA? Have you tried testing the one you've
assigned to your ATA with one of your PCs?
If you've only got one WAN IP address and you're using a pseudo-DMZ,
then one presumes that visiting something like ShieldsUp at grc.com
would show the SIP port as being open. You could install Wireshark on
one of your PCs and put the PC in the same place as the ATA [same IP,
same port]. Then make an inbound call and see if you get any connection
attempts from voip.co.uk.

Outbound calling always seems to work.


This is usually an issue with port forwarding. Have you tried binning
the DMZ and configuring port forwarding instead?

But, inbound calling does not work when both the other PC's are turned off.
Callers hear a message "this number is temporarily unavailable".
The "Phone 1" LED on the PAP2 does not light up.

As soon as at least one of the PC's is booted up the Inbound calling works fine.
The "Phone 1" LED on the PAP2 lights up.


Do you mean, literally as soon as it's booted [ie the ethernet light
comes on on the relevant port] or do you mean, once it's doing stuff on
the internet?

I have checked the router timeout and it is set to 0 - no timeout.
Also the router logs don't seem to show that it is dropping the line


Is it possible to increase the verbosity of your router logs? Update
the firmware?

Just a thought - what happens if you have both PCs off, make an
outbound call [to generate a bit of traffic], and then make a call in?

alexd

  #3  
Old January 12th 07, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ross Beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20
Default Odd problem with voip.co.uk

ale.cx wrote:
Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Folks


I have an odd problem with my VOIP.


My LinkSys PAP2 is connected to a BT Business Hub (aka 2Wire 2700) router.
The PAP2 is set up in the router DMZ - i.e. no firewall.
2 other PC's are connected to the same router.


How many WAN IP addresses have you got? Have you tried assigning a
different one to your ATA? Have you tried testing the one you've
assigned to your ATA with one of your PCs?
If you've only got one WAN IP address and you're using a pseudo-DMZ,
then one presumes that visiting something like ShieldsUp at grc.com
would show the SIP port as being open. You could install Wireshark on
one of your PCs and put the PC in the same place as the ATA [same IP,
same port]. Then make an inbound call and see if you get any connection
attempts from voip.co.uk.

Outbound calling always seems to work.


This is usually an issue with port forwarding. Have you tried binning
the DMZ and configuring port forwarding instead?

But, inbound calling does not work when both the other PC's are turned off.
Callers hear a message "this number is temporarily unavailable".
The "Phone 1" LED on the PAP2 does not light up.

As soon as at least one of the PC's is booted up the Inbound calling works fine.
The "Phone 1" LED on the PAP2 lights up.


Do you mean, literally as soon as it's booted [ie the ethernet light
comes on on the relevant port] or do you mean, once it's doing stuff on
the internet?

I have checked the router timeout and it is set to 0 - no timeout.
Also the router logs don't seem to show that it is dropping the line


Is it possible to increase the verbosity of your router logs? Update
the firmware?

Just a thought - what happens if you have both PCs off, make an
outbound call [to generate a bit of traffic], and then make a call in?

alexd


I think Alex's idea is a good one. The router may be set to disconnect
if there is no activity, therefore incoming calls would fail.

To fix this set the router to 'Always on'. You could also set your sip
registration to 60 seconds, so that there is activity on the router even
when your machines are off.

Ross
-----------------------
Ross Beer
VoiceHost Support
www.voicehost.co.uk
  #4  
Old January 12th 07, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 385
Default Odd problem with voip.co.uk

Ross Beer wrote:

I think Alex's idea is a good one. The router may be set to disconnect
if there is no activity, therefore incoming calls would fail.


This is quite a common setting on routers.

In some countries (I forget which) you pay for the time your ADSL line
is online. Or they have a package that allows `10 hours usage a month`
or similar.

Consequently some routers by default, disconnect after a no activity
time out.

Tim
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with VOIP calls to Universities? Victor Delta uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 8 October 3rd 06 12:15 AM
Voip Updated Howto,New Voip Phones,Voip Conferencing, skyper uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 May 21st 06 06:06 PM
CLID problem with VOIP FXO port Peter Watson uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 1 March 18th 06 10:22 AM
Registering on proxy.voip.co.uk - is there a problem ? NutCracker uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 13 January 3rd 06 02:37 PM
VOIP problem with Echo. Derrick Fawsitt uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 April 21st 04 03:20 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.