Outgrown my 2 Voip lines need a new router

Old January 13th 07, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul -M-

Default Outgrown my 2 Voip lines need a new router

Im currently using a Linksys WRT54G-P2 for both of my current lines. Is
there any other routers out there that will work with my cable connection
and provide another 5 or 6 Voip lines ?

Old January 13th 07, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Paul -M-" wrote in message
. uk...
Im currently using a Linksys WRT54G-P2 for both of my current lines. Is
there any other routers out there that will work with my cable connection
and provide another 5 or 6 Voip lines ?

FritzBox handles up to 10 SIP accounts (+1 PSTN) and 2/3 internal
extensions. Can recommend the 7050. It routes calls by dial string, but
you cannot modify the dial string unlike asterisk (apart from automatically
adding area codes and country codes if required).

Also works with cable (I am on NTL 4mb/s) but only one LAN port as the other
port is then used as WAN.

Of course, you don't say whether you also need more internal extensions.
Assuming this is not the case, the 7050 would be ideal. I also find it is
much better than the Linksys ATAs for registration (doesn't give up trying
to re-register if it loses the registration.) Take a look at Broadbandstuff
or Broadband buyer.

Old January 13th 07, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Herman" wrote in message
"Paul -M-" wrote in message
. uk...
Im currently using a Linksys WRT54G-P2 for both of my current lines. Is
there any other routers out there that will work with my cable connection
and provide another 5 or 6 Voip lines ?

FritzBox handles up to 10 SIP accounts (+1 PSTN) and 2/3 internal
extensions. Can recommend the 7050. It routes calls by dial string, but
you cannot modify the dial string unlike asterisk (apart from
automatically adding area codes and country codes if required).

Also works with cable (I am on NTL 4mb/s) but only one LAN port as the
other port is then used as WAN.

Of course, you don't say whether you also need more internal extensions.
Assuming this is not the case, the 7050 would be ideal. I also find it is
much better than the Linksys ATAs for registration (doesn't give up trying
to re-register if it loses the registration.) Take a look at
Broadbandstuff or Broadband buyer.

Forgot to say, you could also use Voxalot (=free!), but I have not always
found it to be reliable. I use it on the 7050 for the few occasions when I
need to modify the outbound dial string.

Old January 14th 07, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:41:13 GMT, "Herman"
wrote:

"Herman" wrote in message
"Paul -M-" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I agree a Fritzbox is a good choice. This link is to the
manufacturer's site.
http://tinyurl.com/y2f5tw
Note the difference between the 7050 and the 7140 - also part number
for Annex A.
It is sometimes difficult to find model numbers on some vendors'
sites, it can be difficult to be sure that you have found the right
model so it is worth checking with the vendor where a specific model
number is not mentioned. There are a number of different Fritzbox
models.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 14th 07, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul -M-

Thanks Herman & Brian.

I had been lookin at the Fritzbox 7050 on sipgates site as they provide my
incoming line, http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_7050
thanks Herman for confirming my choice..

119 seems a good price for this router

Old January 14th 07, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Paul -M-" wrote in message
Thanks Herman & Brian.

I had been lookin at the Fritzbox 7050 on sipgates site
as they provide my incoming line,
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_7050
thanks Herman for confirming my choice..
119 seems a good price for this router

Personally, I'd wait for the 7170 to become available in the UK (Annex A).
It's only just out in Germany so may be a while, but will be worth waiting
for IMHO.

Here's a link to it on Sipgate's site (in German):

http://www.sipgate.de/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_7170

Ivor

Old January 15th 07, 08:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Paul -M-" wrote in message
Thanks Herman & Brian.

I had been lookin at the Fritzbox 7050 on sipgates site
as they provide my incoming line,
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_7050
thanks Herman for confirming my choice..
119 seems a good price for this router

Personally, I'd wait for the 7170 to become available in the UK (Annex A).
It's only just out in Germany so may be a while, but will be worth waiting
for IMHO.

Here's a link to it on Sipgate's site (in German):

http://www.sipgate.de/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_7170

Ivor

What are the additional benefits of the 7170?

Old January 15th 07, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ross Beer

Paul -M- wrote:
Thanks Herman & Brian.

I had been lookin at the Fritzbox 7050 on sipgates site as they provide my
incoming line, http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_7050
thanks Herman for confirming my choice..

119 seems a good price for this router

If you have spare ports on your router (CAT5) could you not just plug in
a VoIP phone or an ATA?

Regards,

Ross
-----------------------
Ross Beer
VoiceHost Support
www.voicehost.co.uk
Old January 15th 07, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Herman" wrote in
message
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Paul -M-" wrote in message
Thanks Herman & Brian.

I had been lookin at the Fritzbox 7050 on sipgates
site as they provide my incoming line,
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_7050
thanks Herman for confirming my choice..
119 seems a good price for this router

Personally, I'd wait for the 7170 to become available
in the UK (Annex A). It's only just out in Germany so
may be a while, but will be worth waiting for IMHO.

Here's a link to it on Sipgate's site (in German):

http://www.sipgate.de/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_7170

Ivor

What are the additional benefits of the 7170?

Mainly, it has 3 phone ports rather than 2 as on the 7050, but I think the
7140 has 3 as well, not sure about the differences between the 7140 and
7170, they look identical and my German is not what it could be ;-)

Ivor

Old January 15th 07, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Ross Beer" wrote in
message

Paul -M- wrote:
Thanks Herman & Brian.

I had been lookin at the Fritzbox 7050 on sipgates site
as they provide my incoming line,
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_7050
thanks Herman for confirming my choice.. 119 seems a good price for
this router

If you have spare ports on your router (CAT5) could you
not just plug in a VoIP phone or an ATA?

Yes, but with an integral device you get better QoS and there's one less
box and plug-top power supply..! Anything that reduces the number of
things that need plugging in is worth a look in my book ;-)

Ivor