advise please

Old January 14th 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Johnnie Scott

Default advise please

I am using voipcheap at present via PC. I am about to purchase a three way
dect/amswerphone set. Can someone please help me choose a unit that would
do the job using both normal BT line plus Voipcheap on the same handset
Thanks
John

Old January 14th 07, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ale.cx

Johnnie Scott wrote:
I am using voipcheap at present via PC. I am about to purchase a three way
dect/amswerphone set. Can someone please help me choose a unit that would
do the job using both normal BT line plus Voipcheap on the same handset

If you want just one box, try a Siemens C460-IP

alexd

Old January 15th 07, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ross Beer

ale.cx wrote:
Johnnie Scott wrote:
I am using voipcheap at present via PC. I am about to purchase a three way
dect/amswerphone set. Can someone please help me choose a unit that would
do the job using both normal BT line plus Voipcheap on the same handset

If you want just one box, try a Siemens C460-IP

alexd

I would have to agree, the Siemens C460-IP is the ideal phone. It
handles VoIP and PSTN calls, which means that there is no need for an
additional ATA. You can add more handsets and even make VoIP and PSTN
calls at the same time.

Ross

-----------------------
Ross Beer
VoiceHost Support
www.voicehost.co.uk
Old January 15th 07, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

ale.cx wrote:
Johnnie Scott wrote:
I am using voipcheap at present via PC. I am about to purchase a three way
dect/amswerphone set. Can someone please help me choose a unit that would
do the job using both normal BT line plus Voipcheap on the same handset

If you want just one box, try a Siemens C460-IP

You can add extra handsets onto these too. C46 is the part code for these.

You can choose whether to dial out on SIP or PSTN by how long you hold
the green button when you dial the call.

The downside, is that the base will only do 1 SIP call and 1 PSTN call
simultaneously.

The C460IP is a very simple SIP device - no clever dial plans and not
many settings. Works well.

If you want to do clever dial plans or have a device with 100's of
settings to tweak, then buy a Linksys SPA-3102. (but then you can only
do 1 call)

No answerphone on the C460IP though, but on the PSTN side no reason why
you couldn't just put the answering machine into another phone socket.

Tim
Old January 15th 07, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Tim was thinking very hard :

If you want to do clever dial plans or have a device with 100's of
settings to tweak, then buy a Linksys SPA-3102. (but then you can only
do 1 call)

Tim

However, the SPA3102 is even more configurable than you suggest.

For instance, using it as an extension & PSTN interface with Asterisk,
I can make a (VoIP) call from the connected handset whilst someone else
uses the PSTN side, admittedly from another extension - I think what
I'm trying to say is it /can/ handle more than one call at a time, if
your equipment supports it.

Old January 15th 07, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ale.cx

Ross Beer wrote:
ale.cx wrote:
Johnnie Scott wrote:
I am using voipcheap at present via PC. I am about to purchase a three way
dect/amswerphone set. Can someone please help me choose a unit that would
do the job using both normal BT line plus Voipcheap on the same handset

If you want just one box, try a Siemens C460-IP

alexd

I would have to agree, the Siemens C460-IP is the ideal phone. It
handles VoIP and PSTN calls, which means that there is no need for an
additional ATA. You can add more handsets and even make VoIP and PSTN
calls at the same time.

Out of interest, is it possible to have the handsets register with more
than one base station at a time, or roam between them? Just imagine,
your very own on-site mobile phone network ;-)

alexd

Old January 19th 07, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

ale.cx wrote:
Out of interest, is it possible to have the handsets register with more
than one base station at a time, or roam between them? Just imagine,
your very own on-site mobile phone network ;-)

The C46 handsets supplied at standard will only register to 1 base.

However, I have an old (3 years, very nice) Siemens's handset at home
that will register to more than 1 DECT base. But only 1 base station
at a time. but if you use the same SIP account on multiple base
stations this doesn't matter.

However, if you do want the all singing all dancing, roaming dect
system. Buy an Icon Kirk system. It will cost you thousands but it
does everything. Not sure if they have sorted their SIP implementation
yet though.

Tim