High cost of overseas calls with voiptalk.co.uk and VAT double-whammy

Old January 14th 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Charlie

Default High cost of overseas calls with voiptalk.co.uk and VAT double-whammy

I've been using voiptalk for a couple of days in order to see how I get on
with it. I'm surprised at the high cost of calls, in comparison with the
traditional low-cost calling companies, where you use your BT line to route
calls via a low-cost provider.

I'm new to VOIP - are voiptalk's costs higher than average or are they the
norm?

My calls are to Asia and are costing 7p per minute with Voiptalk, in
contrast to 18185 which are only 1p per minute. Voiptalk's line quality is
better but not substantially.

Also, Voiptalk's VAT charge on the top-up system is a bit suspicious. When
you top up with a 5.00 credit, they charge you the extra 0.88 VAT but when
you enquire on your call credit, it tells you that you have 5.00. However,
their quoted prices don't include the VAT so in actual fact you're paying a
double-whammy on the VAT.

Old January 14th 07, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:12:07 -0000, "Charlie"
wrote:

[...]

There are hundreds of VSPs (VoIP Service Providers) to choose from.
You don't have to tie yourself to just one VSP. Sometimes it is better
to use a VSP based in or near the country you are wanting to call.
What part of Asia are you wanting to call? I, or others, might be
able to suggest a VSP.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 15th 07, 05:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy

Charlie wrote:
I've been using voiptalk for a couple of days in order to see how I get on
with it. I'm surprised at the high cost of calls,

Also, Voiptalk's VAT charge on the top-up system is a bit suspicious. When
you top up with a 5.00 credit, they charge you the extra 0.88 VAT but when
you enquire on your call credit, it tells you that you have 5.00. However,
their quoted prices don't include the VAT so in actual fact you're paying a
double-whammy on the VAT.

This seems to be common to many operators. The VAT is charged on top-up
but doesn't appear in the call credit, which is used up at the non-VAT
listed tariff, so no double charge

Old January 15th 07, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Charlie

Brian A wrote
There are hundreds of VSPs (VoIP Service Providers) to choose from.
You don't have to tie yourself to just one VSP. Sometimes it is better
to use a VSP based in or near the country you are wanting to call.
What part of Asia are you wanting to call? I, or others, might be
able to suggest a VSP.

Thanks Brian - It's Thailand I need to call.

Old January 15th 07, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:22:16 -0000, "Charlie"
wrote:

Brian A wrote
There are hundreds of VSPs (VoIP Service Providers) to choose from.
You don't have to tie yourself to just one VSP. Sometimes it is better
to use a VSP based in or near the country you are wanting to call.
What part of Asia are you wanting to call? I, or others, might be
able to suggest a VSP.

Thanks Brian - It's Thailand I need to call.

Thailand. With a quick trawl I couldn't find a VSP that did a flat
rate per call for Thailand. However, here is one that does 1p/min
(actually US$0.023/min).
http://www.unifieddirect.net/pdf/Rates_Web.pdf
If you check out the site click on 'Pay As You Go' to get these rates.

For a list of hundreds of providers check out www.sipbroker.com
Also, here is a condensed list here
http://tinyurl.com/y5p3xz

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 15th 07, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy

Brian A wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:22:16 -0000, "Charlie"
wrote:

Brian A wrote
There are hundreds of VSPs (VoIP Service Providers) to choose from.
You don't have to tie yourself to just one VSP. Sometimes it is better
to use a VSP based in or near the country you are wanting to call.
What part of Asia are you wanting to call? I, or others, might be
able to suggest a VSP.

Thanks Brian - It's Thailand I need to call.

Thailand. With a quick trawl I couldn't find a VSP that did a flat
rate per call for Thailand. However, here is one that does 1p/min
(actually US$0.023/min).
http://www.unifieddirect.net/pdf/Rates_Web.pdf
If you check out the site click on 'Pay As You Go' to get these rates.

For a list of hundreds of providers check out www.sipbroker.com
Also, here is a condensed list here
http://tinyurl.com/y5p3xz

Also, Lowratevoip has a zero tariff to Thailand. It doesn't mean free,
as it needs occasional top-ups to qualify for Freedays, like other
Betamax clones

But you'd get 300 free minutes a week and have the credit to spend on
other calls

Old January 15th 07, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"andy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Also, Lowratevoip has a zero tariff to Thailand. It doesn't mean free,
as it needs occasional top-ups to qualify for Freedays, like other
Betamax clones

But you'd get 300 free minutes a week and have the credit to spend on
other calls

Same for voipcheap.co.uk, NOT voipcheap.com

Old January 15th 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 15 Jan 2007 07:26:42 -0800, "andy"
wrote:

Brian A wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:22:16 -0000, "Charlie"
wrote:

Brian A wrote
[...]

Just read that it is now 200 mins/week (bottom of home page) -
typical moving of the goalposts by Betamax.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 15th 07, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

wrote:

Brian A wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:22:16 -0000, "Charlie"
wrote:

Brian A wrote
[...]

Still 300 on voipcheap.co.uk but with an interesting twist:

Max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days and
per unique IP address

Looks unenforcable to me, and an opportunity to use more than 300 minutes!
Just reboot your modem to get a new IP address!